Menu

MRI tomorrow for DD

Miss Peregrine

She has had horrible pain in her knees for months and reports that when walking on stairs that it feels like her knees are "switching gears." :/  They get stuck a lot. Soccer is her only reason for living and it looks like it might be over for her. This is causing her to feel very anxious and sad. She also got the idea in her head that she has cancer in her knees. This adds to the anxiety. Our follow-up to the MRI is not scheduled until the 2nd of April but I am going to try to get an earlier appointment.  

The Dr. mentioned a torn meniscus. Any other ideas?

When she says "switching gears" does she mean that they are clicking, or that something feels like it is shifting inside her knee?

She might have patellofemoral syndrome https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome

I had this, and fortunately did not need surgery for my knees, but I was close.  I had some muscle imbalances that were causing my patella to not track correctly, which was causing scraping and pain.  I also have some sort of issue with how my knees are made that lends them to this tracking issue.  I would sometimes suddenly feel a sharp pain in my knee. Other times it was a dull ache. Sometimes I could literally feel something move in there. There would even be times when I lost all strength in my knee and my knee gave way.  It was aggravated by anything resembling a lunge (because my patella was coming out of the proper track when I did that movement).  I did physical therapy and that really helped. I no longer do lunges, but I am able to do squats and I do run once a week now.  I have to keep up the strength exercises introduced in therapy.  

Edited by cintinative

When she says "switching gears" does she mean that they are clicking, or that something feels like it is shifting inside her knee?

She might have patellofemoral syndrome https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/patellofemoral-pain-syndrome

I had this, and fortunately did not need surgery for my knees, but I was close.  I had some muscle imbalances that were causing my patella to not track correctly, which was causing scraping and pain.  I also have some sort of issue with how my knees are made that lends them to this tracking issue.  I would sometimes suddenly feel a sharp pain in my knee. Other times it was a dull ache. Sometimes I could literally feel something move in there. There would even be times when I lost all strength in my knee and my knee gave way.  It was aggravated by anything resembling a lunge (because my patella was coming out of the proper track when I did that movement).  I did physical therapy and that really helped. I no longer do lunges, but I am able to do squats and I do run once a week now.  I have to keep up the strength exercises introduced in therapy.  

Like something is catching. She has the other things you describe, as well. 

Thanks for the link, off to read.

• Like 1

Both my dd and one of her friends were told they probably had Osgood-Schlatter when they were in middle school/early high school.  

https://orthoinfo.aaos.org/en/diseases--conditions/osgood-schlatter-disease-knee-pain/

I don't remember her saying that it felt like her knees were getting stuck, as you are describing, but it was quite painful.  It went on for a year or two and then slowly went away.

In any event, I'm sure it isn't cancer!

• Like 3

My daughter just had knee surgery in July due to a torn meniscus. 

She was a competitive gymnast complaining for a while about her knee. Clcking and getting stuck were the biggest complaints. Fast forward, she was working at her local job and her knee basically gave out on her. She had surgery less than a month later and within a couple of months she was released. She is currently running track. Meniscus healing is faster than ACL hearing. Her best friend had ACL surgery earlier last year. She was out for a while. 

Kudos to you for getting it figured out now. 

• Like 2