Menu

How Can I Fix This Stew?

AFwife Claire

I made this Guinness beef stew in my instant pot for St. Patrick's Day.  The texture was amazing!  The flavor was not.  It was so bland and flavorless.  No depth or anything at all, really.  People ate it, but it was so blah.  I added tons more salt and pepper, but still.  

So now we have leftovers, and I am wondering what you would put in the stew to give it some flavor when I reheat it?  Some red wine (but then it wouldn't be cooking all day, so would it be too strong)?  Something else?  I don't want to throw the rest of this stew away, but no one really has any desire to eat it--it's just so bland!

Thanks for any ideas!

I'd add some combination of:

• A can or two of diced tomatoes
  • A package of mushrooms
  • 1/4-1/2 bottle of red wine (cooking all day will make it a more intense flavor, but don't worry about it being too strong- the alcohol will evaporate, just make sure it's a red you like the flavor of)
  • garlic
  • onion powder
  • Like 1

Good suggestions above!

I put lemon in most of my soups and stews, because I think acid is like salt--it heightens any flavor. Just start slowly, because you want it to brighten the flavor, not take over the whole dish so it becomes lemon stew, lol. Vinegar also works, but different types of vinegar lend different flavors and in my experience it's easier to overdo the vinegar.

Sour cream as a topping would take it up a notch, too.

Amy

Acid does enhance flavor, but it has tomato paste so the acid is in there.  I'm surprised this was so bland.  Only thing I can think of is I do notice that stuff made in the IP does become very watery and less flavorful. 

Which cut of beef did you use?  A fattier cut would add more flavor.  If it is too low in fat it won't have pretty much any flavor. 

Edited by SparklyUnicorn

Basically, with pressure cooking you miss out on the maillard reaction, which provides that rich umami flavor. Carmalizing onions would add that, or well browned mushrooms, bacon, or bouillon. 

Often when I cook meat in the instant pot I throw it under the broiler for a bit afterwards, to get that browning, but that won't work for stew, lol.. 

Basically, with pressure cooking you miss out on the maillard reaction, which provides that rich umami flavor. Carmalizing onions would add that, or well browned mushrooms, bacon, or bouillon. 

Often when I cook meat in the instant pot I throw it under the broiler for a bit afterwards, to get that browning, but that won't work for stew, lol.. 

I've never used IP, but with the crock pot I try and take the time to brown things in a pan first, meat and onions for sure, but also veg if I have time.  Otherwise, it really is just blah.  And a good stock is important to, even if it has to be bought.

That being said, OP, I do find sometimes a stew with beer like that needs a little more acid than you might think.

Thank you!! I knew about umami and carmelizong etc but I never put it together with crock pot or instapot cooking. I’ve ysually been unhappy with recipes I make on the stove when I make them in a crock pot and now I know why! Thank you.

I brown everything on 'saute' in the instant pot before pressure cooking it.  It makes a big difference.

• Like 4

Oh, I definitely seared the beef chunks (chuck roast) first (in batches), and then browned the onions, and then deglazed with the Guinness before putting the beef back in and starting the first pressurized cooking.  The umami deep flavor is definitely what's missing though.  I know in another IP stew recipe I use, I put fish sauce in.  Maybe I'll try some of that too . . . 

You all have given me lots of good ideas, and I'm actually excited about doctoring it when I heat it up again!  Since I cook for 10 nightly, I make a lot of everything--but if people don't love it (which honestly is pretty rare), then I will also have a lot of leftovers--I don't want all that meat to go to waste!

• Like 4

Oh, I definitely seared the beef chunks (chuck roast) first (in batches), and then browned the onions, and then deglazed with the Guinness before putting the beef back in and starting the first pressurized cooking.  The umami deep flavor is definitely what's missing though.  I know in another IP stew recipe I use, I put fish sauce in.  Maybe I'll try some of that too . . . 

You all have given me lots of good ideas, and I'm actually excited about doctoring it when I heat it up again!  Since I cook for 10 nightly, I make a lot of everything--but if people don't love it (which honestly is pretty rare), then I will also have a lot of leftovers--I don't want all that meat to go to waste!

Oh hm....chuck roast is yummy and usually fatty enough.

That's interesting. I made her stovetop Irish stew  on Saturday and we loved it. We gobbled up the leftovers yesterday. The flavor is nice and deep. I left out the Guinness because I don't like what any kind of beer does to the flavor of a dish (I did add the red wine). I've been looking at both recipes trying to find what's different and the main thing I see is garlic and the amount of salt. There's less salt in the IP version and no garlic. The stovetop version uses 6 cloves of garlic. Oh, and the IP recipe is also missing Worcestershire sauce. 

I just realized the other change I made is to use all beef stock instead of a combination of stock and water. I didn't use any water. All the liquid came from the beef stock and wine (and a bit of Worcestershire sauce). 

To fix it I'd add some Worcestershire, broth, and maybe some hearty red wine. You might have to add some spices to compensate for more liquid. Also, if adding more liquid makes it more soupy than you want, thicken it up with a cornstarch and water mix.

I usually like her recipes though I've found that I sometimes have to up the spices. What I think is odd is how different the stovetop, crock pot, and Instant Pot recipes are. I would think they'd all use the same flavoring ingredients with only the cooking method being different. Like I said, that's odd.

• Like 2

I don't know why the IP does this. You have to add 2-3 times the amount of seasoning and salt to get good flavor. I've taken to cooking the beef first on pressure, then adding in the rest of the ingredients to slow cook for flavor. If I add them in with the pressure, they just disappear.

• Like 1

That's interesting. I made her stovetop Irish stew  on Saturday and we loved it. We gobbled up the leftovers yesterday. The flavor is nice and deep. I left out the Guinness because I don't like what any kind of beer does to the flavor of a dish (I did add the red wine). I've been looking at both recipes trying to find what's different and the main thing I see is garlic and the amount of salt. There's less salt in the IP version and no garlic. The stovetop version uses 6 cloves of garlic. Oh, and the IP recipe is also missing Worcestershire sauce. 

I just realized the other change I made is to use all beef stock instead of a combination of stock and water. I didn't use any water. All the liquid came from the beef stock and wine (and a bit of Worcestershire sauce). 

To fix it I'd add some Worcestershire, broth, and maybe some hearty red wine. You might have to add some spices to compensate for more liquid. Also, if adding more liquid makes it more soupy than you want, thicken it up with a cornstarch and water mix.

I usually like her recipes though I've found that I sometimes have to up the spices. What I think is odd is how different the stovetop, crock pot, and Instant Pot recipes are. I would think they'd all use the same flavoring ingredients with only the cooking method being different. Like I said, that's odd.

I usually have good luck with her recipes.

I just made stew in the IP this week. I added Worcestershire and lots of garlic and good broth really helps.

I was thinking the same thing, and then I realized that the OP stew is not Elise's recipe.  It's a guest post by someone named Coco. 

• Like 2

You know, you made me think of something.  I had originally been looking at that stovetop Irish stew you linked, but then I thought, hey!  I should use my instant pot for this!  And I found the linked IP Irish stew recipe on her site and used that instead.  But later that day I checked to make sure we had some red wine.  Then a few days later, when I went to actually make the stew, there was never any red wine (or garlic--I remember being surprised at that too!) called for, and I just assumed I was crazy and had made something up in my mind, lol.

I only used beef broth too.  It seemed silly to add water, and now I'm glad I didn't--it would have been even more flavorless!  That is interesting about having to add more spices to the IP, or to add them after cooking.  I vaguely remember reading something like that in a post on the FB group, but then again, there are approximately 100 billion of those per day, so I just kind of skim through them if I even pay attention to them at all, lol.

• Like 1

My family will eat anything in a pie crust so I would be tempted to make it into a beef pot pie.

I say "tempted" because I would most likely just tell them to shut up and eat it as is.

Oh my goodness, this is brilliant!   I am doctoring it up and then putting it in a pie crust.  It's especially perfect because we had chicken pot pie on Pi Day, but some of my kids definitely like meat pie better, so they were sad we could only have one type of savory pie, lol.  Great idea!!

I’m pretty sure pressure cookers have enough heat to produce a malliard reaction, but you’d have to do it before you added the liquids.

A bland stew can be blamed on lots of things . . . not browning the meat, not enough aromatics, not enough seasoning, too much liquid for the amount of meat to flavor it, or using the wrong cut of meat that’s too lean to add flavor from fat.

Stew is famous for being better the next day, so it may be better today with no effort. I do agree with whoever suggested caramalized onions. I’d suggest a concentrated beef bullion (like Better than Bullion) but you have to add slowly so you don’t make it too salty.

• Like 1

My MIL used to season left-over beef roast before she put it away.  I wish I knew all she added to it, but she always started with very deeply carmelized onions in her roast. She used to tell me that very nearly burning the onions was the secret to a good roast.  (And searing the roast itself well, too.)  Anyhoo, I know she added Worcestershire, and maybe some beef broth?  I can't remember, so just know that you've got good precedent for "doctoring it up".

Well, since today was a cold, dreary day, I decided it was a good time to play with the stew!  I sauted some garlic before putting the leftover stew in the pan.  Then I added some fish sauce and red wine, as well as a lot of frozen peas and carrots to stretch the filling out so I could make 2 meat pies.  It ended up being enough for one deep dish 9 inch pie, and one 9 inch one with regular sloped sides that seems a lot smaller than the other one.  The pies were delicious, and people gobbled them up.  

Thanks for all the great ideas, folks.  You really saved the stew!

• Like 2