Menu

Just a vent but comment if you'd like

lynn

My son failed to turn in his absence excuses for the days which he was sick or did not turn it in within the three days to be recorded as excused absence.   Now this is 3 days of 100 school days.  I then get a letter stating I have to go to a truancy meeting and if I don't go I could get a complaint filed against me at the distirct attorneys office.   DS is an honor roll a/p student never had any issues with school.    So to be clear the district requires him to miss school to go this meeting which is across town to talk to us about him missing school.   How stupid is that.  He only has 2 classes a day in the MORNING so he will the miss the only classes he has to be told he missed school.  WTH and these probably won't be excused absence.   Okay vent over.  Trying hard to understand the logic.

If it is anything like our district, this can be cleared up by you walking a note in now, explaining the absences.  The "we won't excuse it after 3 days" is a scare tactic.  We always excuse them anyway, we don't want to have to deal with truancy anything.  It requires way too much paperwork and headache.

I would call the data manager at the school and see if this can be fixed today.

• Like 16

Oh, and that letter is standard.  No one is taking you to truancy court.  We have an attendance "officer" who goes to homes or calls.....can you call yours?  He/She can help you figure out what to do.

Really, this is all a scare tactic to straighten out their books because schools get in trouble by the district for unexcused absences.

I got a letter this year that said, "Your child has 9 EXCUSED absences.  If he misses any more, please send a doctor's note.  He could be in danger of failing 8th grade."

Um, ok, go ahead and try to fail my straight A honor roll student.  I double dog dare you!

He has been sick with the flu and a cold this year, and it has been a harder year for us with illness.  But he always makes up his work.

Seriously, this is fixable.

• Like 5

My son failed to turn in his absence excuses for the days which he was sick or did not turn it in within the three days to be recorded as excused absence. Now this is 3 days of 100 school days. I then get a letter stating I have to go to a truancy meeting and if I don't go I could get a complaint filed against me at the distirct attorneys office. DS is an honor roll a/p student never had any issues with school. So to be clear the district requires him to miss school to go this meeting which is across town to talk to us about him missing school. How stupid is that. He only has 2 classes a day in the MORNING so he will the miss the only classes he has to be told he missed school. WTH and these probably won't be excused absence. Okay vent over. Trying hard to understand the logic.

I think that kind of thing needs to be made public. Loudly. Call a news station to do a segment on it.

I hate stupid laws.

• Like 2

First- call and see if you can get this fix with resending the notes.  Also, research the exact attendance policy ( are these combined absences from two semesters, what are the exact days the policy dictates truancy, etc).

Second- I would call and see if this would be an excused absence. If not, ( I still might not bring DS even if it is excused) DS would go to school and I would go to the meeting without him.  When asked where DS is, I would not bat an eye telling them that being in the classroom is more important than being in this meeting especially if this is an unexcused absence. I would go in with how few days he has missed compared to his attendance along with the copy of his grades.  

• Like 1

So sorry you are dealing with this. Hope you can fix it with a phone call and a new note.

Several years ago we got that note you got because dd missed a week or two of school due to an unknown illness (never was diagnosed). School was kept abreast almost every day and I went in every day or so to get/turn in work. They were impressed with this and it was no big deal to me since I was used to homeschooling anyway. When dd got cleared to go back to school, she had a dr’s note. She turned it into her homeroom teacher, who fortunately, had students record when they turned in a note. The teacher had the note on a folder. He never turned it in. We did not know he didn’t turn it in, until we got the letter about truancy court. I called the school and left a message. The secretary got my message and checked the folder dd’s homeroom and there it was - with her signature and date the day she returned to school - along with lots of other notes that were never turned in! I was so upset that we did everything we were supposed to, but yet got that letter.

If at all possible, I would contact the truant officer ahead of time and/or avoid taking my kid out of school for this meeting.

The ultimate in stupidity, based on a rule evenly applied across the board with no regard for common sense.

For several years in elementary school, my daughter attended a part time charter school's homeschool program. It was a sweet deal for the charter school (which also ran a full time regular public school in the main part of the school). Homeschool kids attended 20% of the time, and the school got something like 50% of funding for each of those kids. My daughter missed three days in the first three months--sick, vacation. I was sent an automated notice from the school that she was in danger of being dropped from the program due to her absences. Riiiiight. They weren't going to miss out on that money! I didn't know whether to laugh or be mad.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. How ridiculous!