Menu

Functions and matrices are taught in which math year?

Alg 2 or Trig or PreCal? 

Anyone? My son, a junior, was told by his ACT tutor that he should have covered these in Algebra, but we use MUS and they were not taught there or in PreCal so far. I see that functions are taught in MUS PreCal, but he hasn't gotten there yet. No mention of matrices. 

I'm wondering if we need to be farther along in MUS before standardized testing for my upcoming students or if I need to use something else for math. I am also wondering what else he's missing. 

Short answer:  algebra 2.

Long answer:  functions were typically introduced in algebra 1 and then studied in depth in algebra 2.  Now, the most very basic idea of "what is a function" is covered in Common Core grade 8 or earlier.  I believe the deeper work is still left for algebra 2.  Similarly, I think it is typical for matrices to be covered in algebra 2, sometimes following a brief introduction in algebra 1.

• Like 1

My son didn't cover them either. He found them at the end of his pre-calc book that it looks like his Derek Owen's class will skip so perhaps DO covered them in Algebra 2? It seems like it is one of those things that gets moved around.

Edited by frogger

In my classes (Lial) functions are introduced in Algebra 1 (briefly) and in more detail in Algebra 2 (from beginning of text). Matrices are introduced in Algebra 2 (but only in solving systems with more than one variable).  Most function and matrices are worked at the Pre-Calc level.

Usually if matrices are introduced before Algebra 2 it is only at the 'patterning' level-- very abstract and little to no application.

• Like 1

I'm seeing the very basic idea of functions introduced in middle and elementary school math in the simplest ways more and more, so I think it's a concept that kids are headed into Algebra I having a simple idea of these days. Agreed that it's not covered with any depth until later. I think it's like how a generation ago kids went into algebra I never having worked with variables and now they are introduced to letters as variables in elementary school, but that doesn't mean they're doing anything overly complex with them that wouldn't have just been "the unknown box" a generation ago.

Functions: We covered this in Algebra I in Jacobs.  My younger son took Algebra I at a b&m school had them starting in the first chapter of Larson.

Matrices: Both kids had these in Lial's Intermediate Algebra (which I view as lying somewhere between Algebra I and Algebra II in level).  It is one of the few topics that Lial does that Derek Owens doesn't do in his Algebra II course.  Both kids had them in precalculus--older one in Derek Owens and younger one in b&m honors precalculus course that used Demana.