Menu

So what’s in your elementary nature bag?

happypamama

I want to put together a backpack of nature study supplies for my little guys (entering K, 2, and 4). I’ve never actually gotten around to using the HNS that I bought years ago, but I’m going to give it a shot again.

This is what I am intending to put in our backpack so far. Anything else you would add?

Nature journals

Colored pencils and maybe a sharpener

Scotch tape (for taping things in the journals)

Field guides

Binoculars

Bug keepers

Tweezers

Scissors or a small pocketknife (obviously not for the littles to use)

Ziplock bags

Small pack of wipes

Maybe a small net

Magnifying glass

I always keep my phone with me so I will have a camera and internet that way.

I might include some drawing pencils and an eraser for the 4th grader —he might enjoy that. Good idea!

Watercolors! Oooh they would love that! I could add those and a small jar or two of water pretty easily. Maybe I’ll do colored pencils for a while and then watercolors for a while so they can try out both mediums!

We've been using these with watercolours and they have been excellent. Just need a small rag for dabbing off paint and maybe a water bottle for refills.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZ8NUHW/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1521398285&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=watercolor+brush+pens&dpPl=1&dpID=41QVKxwEYJL&ref=plSrch

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1

We use watercolour pencils and then wetbrushes.

Keep in mind that all of these things start to get heavy and you have to haul it all around. Sometimes keeping it simple is best. We have a bag packed with all the things, but I often put it in the car and then only select a few things once we reach our destination. Hand loupes/magnifying glasses are a must. And my phone with camera. Everything else is optional and depends on how far we have to haul everything.

• Like 1

Watercolors! Oooh they would love that! I could add those and a small jar or two of water pretty easily. Maybe I’ll do colored pencils for a while and then watercolors for a while so they can try out both mediums!

There are also watercolor brush pens that wouldn’t require a separate container for water.

• Like 1

We use Rite in Rain notebooks as nature journals; they hold up well in all weather, year round. We save those little white bread bag clips and use them as labels. Write on it with a sharpie, and throw in a ziplock with your specimen. Then the ziplocks can be reused. We use ziplock sandwich boxes for fragile specimens. A 120" flexible plastic sewing ruler is lightweight and washes off quickly in the sink.

Our bag is more outdoor-ed-ish and less arty:  Topographical map, compass, whistles, multitool (each kid carries his own), string, journal, pencils, coloured pencils, magnifying glass, bug spray.  Sometimes we pack a backpacking stove and stuff to cook.

Edited by wathe