Menu

FTC Robotics Super Regional Championships today!

Hilltopmom

My senior son’s team is competing in super regionals today and I couldn’t go because dd has a dance competition this weekend too. But I’m watching the live stream! All the robots and teams are so good!

What a great year for them to have made it this far.

If your FTC team is there today- good luck!

• Like 3

Congratulations! 

Can I tell my favorite FLL/FTC story?  When my son was about 12 years old, he was on an FLL robotics team.  They divied up the required tasks and he and his partner were in charge of programming the robot to use a ball to knock over some bowling pins in the far corner of the board.  The obvious MO was to have the 'bot go down the length of the board, over a little bit, and then roll the ball toward the pins  They worked on that for awhile without much success when my son said, "We should catapult the ball over there."  He was really kinda kidding, but then they started trying some things. I was a coach and suggested they get back on task at first, but they actually got it to work and we were cracking up!  It was a kick to watch, partly because it was such an unexpected move for the robot to go just a few inches, stop and turn toward the pins, and then heave the ball through the air. They used the maneuver at the regionals competition and while (if I'm remembering correctly) they didn't knock over all the pins, their team won that day. At the awards ceremony at the end, the judges had invented a Judge's Award just for them, "Best Use of a Catapult."  They got a trophy and certificate for that and the pictures of them smiling and holding their awards is so awesome. 

Anyway, good memories.  Hope it goes well for your son's team today!! 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2