Menu

Elemental Biology for Logic Stage

Holly

Is this a bad idea or will it work?  We are using various science curricula next year (R&S texts for the younger ones, Elemental Science for my middle school student, and Pacworks biology for my high school student).  I thought since I'm spending a small fortune on the lab materials for Elemental Science, maybe we could use the labs as a family?  I don't think Pacworks includes labs, so I thought it might be especially good for my high schooler to complete some sort of labwork.  She's not "science-y" and will likely major in art, so I'm not super concerned if it's a bit light.  I'd love feedback from someone who has used Elemental Science at the logic stage level. 

One downside I foresee is that my DS is not very interested in biology.  He'd much rather study chemistry or physics!  :lol:

I think you could certainly do the labs together as a family, but they probably would be a bit light for a high schooler. 

I don't have any kids working at the high school level, so I'm not sure if my suggestions would be the best, but here they are:

* Do as many of the "want more" labs as possible.

* Require a more thorough and more formal lab report from the high school student.

* Look through the list of experiments in ES Bio for the Logic Stage, and look through a list of experiments from a more lab-focused high school curriculum. Figure out where there are gaps and add in a few extra experiments in those areas for just your high schooler to do.

• Like 1