Menu

HSLDA Academy Writing Classes

My dd has taken English 1 this year. I've not been too impressed, but I'm very picky.

The class consists of literature which they read and discuss. This is definitely the best part of the class as they do a fairly good job of discussing the literature. There is a vocabulary book that they are supposed to be working through. The assignments are not posted in the same place as other assignments, and my dd basically doesn't do them. The vocabulary assignments are never due, but there are quizzes. As you can imagine, my dd doesn't do very well on the quizzes since she never does the work.

There are grammar assignments which have to be turned in, and they often have discussion about grammar during class. This is also another good part of the class.

The writing assignments are ok. However, my dd has literally gotten 100% on every single writing assignment and never gets any feedback. This is the one area that really bothers me. I rely on English classes to help my dc learn to write better, and this class has done nothing in that department.

My dd only likes the class because it is super easy and "she doesn't have to spend too much time on English." Also, if you're looking for something that is secular, this is not it. My dd says they do lots of scripture reading in the class.

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

I teach a section of the Foundations in Writing class. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I realize that you seek feedback from families who have had students enrolled, but if you have specific questions about the course, let me know.

As a teacher, I try to give specific feedback to each student according to his or her level. I have a few students who are very capable writers for their age. I do give high scores on their assignments because they earn them. However, I try to give them feedback to help them grow beyond their current levels as writers. I also have students at the other end of the spectrum who struggle with every assignment. I give feedback to each student according to what I think they need.

• Like 1

I teach a section of the Foundations in Writing class. I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I realize that you seek feedback from families who have had students enrolled, but if you have specific questions about the course, let me know.

As a teacher, I try to give specific feedback to each student according to his or her level. I have a few students who are very capable writers for their age. I do give high scores on their assignments because they earn them. However, I try to give them feedback to help them grow beyond their current levels as writers. I also have students at the other end of the spectrum who struggle with every assignment. I give feedback to each student according to what I think they need.

Renaissance Mom, I am so glad you saw this and responded.  I have not found a lot of info about the HSLDA classes on any site. I am glad to know that you give feedback, because the main reason I am seeking an online class for writing is to have someone grade and give feedback.   I do have a couple of questions regarding the course.  My daughter has little experience in diagramming, and I wonder if that matters with Analytical Grammar?  I also would like to know, in your opinion, if this class includes enough grammar and literature to call it good for those subjects?  I don't have any state requirements to worry about.  I was planning on doing a separate literature course through another company, however it seems Foundations does quite a bit of literature throughout the year.  

If you don't mind, you can message me your name, so I can enroll my daughter in your session, if the time slot works out.  

Thank you

My dd has taken English 1 this year. I've not been too impressed, but I'm very picky.

The class consists of literature which they read and discuss. This is definitely the best part of the class as they do a fairly good job of discussing the literature. There is a vocabulary book that they are supposed to be working through. The assignments are not posted in the same place as other assignments, and my dd basically doesn't do them. The vocabulary assignments are never due, but there are quizzes. As you can imagine, my dd doesn't do very well on the quizzes since she never does the work.

There are grammar assignments which have to be turned in, and they often have discussion about grammar during class. This is also another good part of the class.

The writing assignments are ok. However, my dd has literally gotten 100% on every single writing assignment and never gets any feedback. This is the one area that really bothers me. I rely on English classes to help my dc learn to write better, and this class has done nothing in that department.

My dd only likes the class because it is super easy and "she doesn't have to spend too much time on English." Also, if you're looking for something that is secular, this is not it. My dd says they do lots of scripture reading in the class.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the information!  I do like that the Foundations class also includes literature and grammar.  One of the teachers responded also.  I am hoping this class works out, because it seems to be everything we need.  

Analytical Grammar teaches all of the diagramming a student needs to know. We go through the entire book at a brisk pace—typically one unit per week. AG is a very thorough grammar component.

Yes, the course is intended to be a complete English course including grammar, literature and writing. The students complete weekly writing assignments plus a number of bigger, multi-week writing projects. We do use The Lively Art of Writing to teach the fundamentals of writing essays, but our writing assignments are in no way limited to essays.

We assign four novels over the entire course. Students track certain aspects of each novel throughout the unit, discuss them in breakout groups, and complete written literature projects at the end of each novel. It’s a good balance and mix of grammar, writing, and literature for this age group.

My first name is in my signature. I am the only teacher for that course with the first name of Monica. :)

Analytical Grammar teaches all of the diagramming a student needs to know. We go through the entire book at a brisk pace—typically one unit per week. AG is a very thorough grammar component.

Yes, the course is intended to be a complete English course including grammar, literature and writing. The students complete weekly writing assignments plus a number of bigger, multi-week writing projects. We do use The Lively Art of Writing to teach the fundamentals of writing essays, but our writing assignments are in no way limited to essays.

We assign four novels over the entire course. Students track certain aspects of each novel throughout the unit, discuss them in breakout groups, and complete written literature projects at the end of each novel. It’s a good balance and mix of grammar, writing, and literature for this age group.

My first name is in my signature. I am the only teacher for that course with the first name of Monica. :)

Thank you for the info.  For some reason I don't see signatures when on my phone looking at the board, but I do now on my computer. It looks like your section for Foundations is during the time my daughter has math class. :(.  

I like that it is a complete English course.  It is just what I am looking for. 

Thanks again!