Menu

Windows to the World without IEW? (Cross-post)

Has anyone used Windows to the World without having used IEW? My dd has written oodles of narrations, a couple of research papers, and about half of the lessons in Power in Your Hands. I’d consider her a competent writer , but writing isn’t her “thing.â€

I believe Windows to the World is an IEW product, isn’t it?

It is, but isn't integrated into their essay writing products. It was okay and got the job done, but I'd probably do something different if I had to pick again. Lots of moving parts and the kids were really tired of the short stories by the time we were done. We used the year long syllabus.

• Like 1

Windows to the World is a stand-alone program. No need to have any familiarity with IEW. WttW is written by Leisha Myers (as is the Elegant Essay and Writing Research Papers: The Essential Tools). Yes, IEW does sell her materials -- but so do Rainbow Resource, Christian Book, Amazon and others. And while her materials fit in with, or blend easily with, IEW's type of instruction, Leisha Myers' materials are not part of the IEW series. 

We never used IEW and had no problems with WttW. We plugged in a unit or two of WttW here and there over the course of 2 years (in between doing longer literature in a DIY style), and did not use the Jill Pike syllabus that adds material and extends WttW from a 1-semester program to 1-year.

The writing focus in WttW is on how to write a literary analysis essay -- one of the clearest, step-by-step ways of explaining that I've seen. The other two major focus points in WttW are annotating and how to use your annotations as support in the literary analysis essay, and then coverage of about 8-10 of the most frequently used literary elements and how they work in literature -- seen by focusing on 6 short stories.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

The Jill Pike syllabus for WttW does usr some IEW terms on scoring rubrics. Ex I think "Use of Dress Ups" was on one essay rubric.

When I taught this in coop I used the syllabus for pacing but rewrote the rubric to rwfer to "vivid word choice" instead of the more IEW specific phrasing. I did this because I have out the rubric as an assignment check sheet. If teaching at home you could just explain what you are looking for on that grading item.

The writing focus in WttW is on how to write a literary analysis essay -- one of the clearest, step-by-step ways of explaining that I've seen. The other two major focus points in WttW are annotating and how to use your annotations as support in the literary analysis essay, and then coverage of about 8-10 of the most frequently used literary elements and how they work in literature -- seen by focusing on 6 short stories.

hmm, resounding recommendation. i think we may have to try again with dc #2 as we quit early on with ds#1... and i've always felt he needed to learn more lit analysis skills... thanks for the insight!