Menu

Naturally improving thyroid health?

Slache

I need more testing done but my T3 & T4 tests are low and I'm hopeful that medication will not be necessary. There are a bajillion websites that contradict each other so I figured I'd come here where everyone always agrees on everything. Tell me everything you know about improving thyroid health, please.

First off, it depends on what is going on with your thyroid. If you have hashimotos (most thyroid disease is auto-immune) then your body is killing off your thyroid, so it depends on how much damage has been done. 

Some people find that their diet affects their thyroid health, especially gluten but I think you are already GF anyway. Some say they cure thyroid issues with certain diets, personally, I'm not a believer.

Iron is another thing to look at, you need iron to utilize thyroid hormones and women are often low due to our periods.

• Like 3

First off, it depends on what is going on with your thyroid. If you have hashimotos (most thyroid disease is auto-immune) then your body is killing off your thyroid, so it depends on how much damage has been done.

Some people find that their diet affects their thyroid health, especially gluten but I think you are already GF anyway. Some say they cure thyroid issues with certain diets, personally, I'm not a believer.

Iron is another thing to look at, you need iron to utilize thyroid hormones and women are often low due to our periods.

Didn't we decide I don't have Hashimotos? I'm waiting on a call from the doctor to discuss results.

Beginning another Whole30 (Whole90) Sunday. I'm a firm believer that diet can alleviate symptoms and supporter of whole body health, even if there's not a cure in there.

Getting a complete iron blood panel and the two T3s and I think something else? I have it written down.

• Like 1

My endo recommends increasing selenium for thyroid. I think she said try 2 Brazil nuts a day? Food is a better source than a supplement.

And more fun!

I highly recommend reading Anthony William's books. He has a new one called Thyroid Healing. I read his other books and they're very insightful. https://www.amazon.com/Medical-Medium-Thyroid-Healing-Hypothyroidism/dp/1401948367

Thanks. I sent the sample to my kindle for when I finish my current book this weekend.

If your diet has been low in iodine you can ask your doctor if you can try iodine supplements.  Then get some Iodoral (I buy mine at Amazon), start with a lower dose.  Take it daily for however many weeks they want you to retest and you'll have a very clear idea of if it helps or if your thyroid is an autoimmune issue.  After three months my thyroid numbers went from low to right in the middle of the normal range.  If it is autoimmune iodine supplements will likely make you worse.  It was worth it to figure out if that was the cause to me, especially because I had insane cravings for things like shellfish at the time.

• Like 1

My dd sees a doctor who is both an MD and works in integrative medicine.  Dd is on both synthroid and armour thyroid, plus she is on a restrictive diet to help heal her gut.  She is off gluten, dairy and soy.  She also takes a thyroid support supplement and an iron plus vitamin C supplement.  You probably know the theory.  Hashimoto's (which is what she has) is an autoimmune disorder where the body attacks the thyroid.  Because of our uberglutenized bread and taking antibiotics and the poor nutrition in much of our food, our guts suffer, gluten molecules don't get broken down all the way, get into the bloodstream and makes our immune systems go wacko.  Synthroid is the number one prescribed medication in the U.S.  If you have Hashimoto's you are much more likely to develop other chronic autoimmune disorders, like celiac, rheumatoid arthritis and the list goes on and on. 

Actual hypothyroidism is different from Hashimoto's in that it is not an autoimmune disease. 

That's all I got pre-coffee!

Edited by Faithr
  • Like 1