Menu

Help! What do I do with my advanced Ker??

My Ker is super advanced. He’s reading everything he can get his hands on. He just finished the Penderwicks.

What do I do with him LA a wise??? He still has a relatively short attention span and not great handwriting but is crazy bright and an avid reader!

You sort out the skills and work on each one individually.

You work on handwriting at his level.

You work on reading comprehension at his level.

You introduce literature at his level.

You work on spelling at his level (or wait until he's ready)

You work on grammar at his level (or wait until he's ready).

Right now, I don't micro-manage what my 2nd grader reads.  He can read whatever he likes, but it means he can do more for himself across the curriculum since it's a base skill.  He works on diction and intonation with a reader - I found a series that isn't stilted and is a pleasant variety of stories.  He does copywork and is learning how to write narrations instead of doing them orally.  He discovered outlining, which he loves, and uses that to take notes when he's working on a longer piece. 

We're just flexible.  It means we have a book for copywork/narrations/poetry/literature/grammar (ELTL), another for spelling (Dictation Day By Day), a reader to read aloud (Elson), and whatever he chooses to read on his own (currently Journey To The Center Of The Earth).  But in kindergarten his skills hadn't leveled out as much as they are now so he read anything he wanted, I read to him what I wanted, and he worked on handwriting through copywork. That was it.

• Like 4

Also, MCT was awesome as a “sit and cuddle and read together†LA book, along with things like the “Reading is CATegoricalâ€, Basher books, and the picture books that go with Eats, Shoots, and Leaves. Lots of copywork, lots of her dictating to me, and started typing pretty early on (age 6 or 7, IIRC). Athena’s Academy lit classes were a nice fit and gave her a community of advanced kids who also were enjoying many of the same books. She started there at 7.

• Like 1