Menu

Please help me pick a writing and/or lit curriculum!

I keep going around in circles trying to figure out what to use for English next year. I've been researching for weeks (including many threads here) and can't make up my mind. I need to outsource it, because DD just works better for outside teachers. She loves creative writing, but really needs to work on essays. I want to use this upcoming year as prep for dual enrollment and she needs to be able to write well enough to pass the assessment test.

Right now, my front-runners are Write at Home, CLRC's Intro to Literature and Composition, and So Verbose. Has anyone used any/some/all of these? I'm trying to get a feel for each and how they compare. Also, if you have a curriculum you love that's different, can you tell me what it is and why you love it? I'm happy to consider other options (except Brave Writer, I tried it and it's not for us). 

Also, since only CLRC's class has a literature component, I need to figure out what to use for lit if we choose something else. 

Help!  :willy_nilly:

Edited by Aurelia

I used Write at Home with DD, but I can't compare to any of the others for you. What we liked about it was a reasonable pace that had students do a great deal of revision so they had time to learn from mistakes and improve their work. The feedback was excellent and she became a better writer. We only used their highest level of high school writing. I wish I'd found WAH sooner. Like your dd, mine did better writing for someone else and selecting a course that was a gentler pace that allowed time to learn instead of just crank out work was really good for her!

We did add lit to make it a full English credit.

• Like 2

Essentials in Writing by Matthew Stephens focuses on essays and a research paper. See if that would fit the bill for her.

It looks neat, but more like everything is done at home. If I get the scoring service, it looks like they only score a final draft. Is that right? 

I think DD really needs outside accountability, and I'm trying to figure out if it would be mostly done at home or if she has more interaction with an outside teacher.

I used Write at Home with DD, but I can't compare to any of the others for you. What we liked about it was a reasonable pace that had students do a great deal of revision so they had time to learn from mistakes and improve their work. The feedback was excellent and she became a better writer. We only used their highest level of high school writing. I wish I'd found WAH sooner. Like your dd, mine did better writing for someone else and selecting a course that was a gentler pace that allowed time to learn instead of just crank out work was really good for her!

We did add lit to make it a full English credit.

Thanks! Was this recently, or a few years ago? I've read some mixed reviews and it seems like people either think it's wonderful, or a waste of money.

I do plan to add lit and grammar (probably a lit class in the fall, followed by a grammar class and just reading in the spring).

• Like 1

we like WAH for what it is. essays/writings assigned, multiple revisions completed, extensive feedback (depending on who your coach is, but you can change). we used them for 9th & 10th (hs semester and then essay worksops 1&2, lit analysis workshop). imo, it doesn't teach the hows - but rather helps perfect what you already know. i mean, some will say the feedback in and of itself, teaches them... maybe so. for my next, we plan to do writing at home for 9th to teach more concepts, solidify the how-to write (IEW Continuation Course C), then use WAH for 10th grade. wonderful customer service and very generous refund policy. 

It looks neat, but more like everything is done at home. If I get the scoring service, it looks like they only score a final draft. Is that right? 

I think DD really needs outside accountability, and I'm trying to figure out if it would be mostly done at home or if she has more interaction with an outside teacher.

Good question, you'd have to ask them how the scoring service works. I just used the DVDs and did it at home, but I found even that really helped because I wasn't doing the main teaching. Anyway, hope you find something that's a good fit for you & your DD!

I can vouch for the detailed feedback of Renee Metcalf at Inspired Scholar.

https://inspiredscholar.com/courses

She has an American Literature reading/composition course using Excellence in Lit (thereby covering both) and an essay pnly course using Elegant Essay.

She also offers a writing evaluation service, if that's all you want. My son took both WriteShop and Elegant Essay with her.

Edited by historymatters

Thanks! Was this recently, or a few years ago? I've read some mixed reviews and it seems like people either think it's wonderful, or a waste of money.

I do plan to add lit and grammar (probably a lit class in the fall, followed by a grammar class and just reading in the spring).

This was two years ago. Dd is a college sophomore and it was her last year of high school.