Menu

Outsourcing American literature for 11th grade?

I’m coming to the conclusion that I really need to outsource more. My rising 11th grader is doing well with, and loving, Homeschool Spanish Academy, so I think she’ll enjoy online classes and also having someone else be in charge. I don’t enjoy grading or critiquing writing, as it just feels too personal to me. In addition, I’m just plain feeling a lack of time to read/discuss/keep up. (See my sig — four younger kids at home. Plus we are contemplating what would be a high risk pregnancy with a lot of appointments and very possibly time in hospital/NICU. I need to make it easy for someone else, like DH or my parents, to step in at any point, and even if all is well, time is still an issue. So.)

WTMA looks good but maybe a little rigorous. DD isn’t the fastest reader in the world. On the one hand, a regularly occurring live class would be good for her, but otoh, something self paced or with a delayed viewing gives her a bit more flexibility. We really love that aspect of HSA, that it’s so flexible. So I don’t know what we want there.

I’m going to look at the master list of online classes, but if someone wanted to give me a starting point that you’ve used (or somewhere you wouldn’t recommend), that would be appreciated. I don’t need a Christian-oriented course, although I do lean more on the conservative side for themes and situations, and my DD is a little sensitive about suffering.

Low time commitment - Center for Lit (can add a writing component for more $) one book (or author/short stories) per month. Two hours of live discussion once per month.

WaskoLit- more meetings, some writing built in. Called something else now (write at home off-shoot?) More time, but not outrageous. Negative: doesn't have a specific American Lit class.

CLRC - once per week meeting (90 min? 2 hrs?) Good feedback on papers. Integrates writing with Lit without being super expensive.

I can't remember the website name, but Cindy Lange has different English levels. Great feedback on writing but super expensive. Doesn't have an American Lit option.

Just some ideas. Master class list will have more.

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

Low time commitment - Center for Lit (can add a writing component for more $) one book (or author/short stories) per month. Two hours of live discussion once per month.

WaskoLit- more meetings, some writing built in. Called something else now (write at home off-shoot?) More time, but not outrageous. Negative: doesn't have a specific American Lit class.

CLRC - once per week meeting (90 min? 2 hrs?) Good feedback on papers. Integrates writing with Lit without being super expensive.

I can't remember the website name, but Cindy Lange has different English levels. Great feedback on writing but super expensive. Doesn't have an American Lit option.

Just some ideas. Master class list will have more.

we are doing center for lit now and don't like it. 1x/mo discussion is just not enough. and for my son in particular, it's not enough of a drive to compel him to read - not enough accountability. if i had it to do over again, i'd choose waskolit or whatever the name is. we use their comp classes write@home and they've been nothing but great. plus they have a great money-back guarantee and center for lit is non-refundable. so for us, it was a waste of money. ymmv. we really liked the toy speed shakespeare intensives this year (meets weekly) but that's not amer lit....

• Like 1

we are doing center for lit now and don't like it. 1x/mo discussion is just not enough. and for my son in particular, it's not enough of a drive to compel him to read - not enough accountability. if i had it to do over again, i'd choose waskolit or whatever the name is. we use their comp classes write@home and they've been nothing but great. plus they have a great money-back guarantee and center for lit is non-refundable. so for us, it was a waste of money. ymmv. we really liked the toy speed shakespeare intensives this year (meets weekly) but that's not amer lit....

This is good to know; thank you!  On the one hand, the low commitment is very appealing, but otoh, yeah, lack of accountability could be an issue.

Same issue here with my son...

Otherwise, I love Center for Lit's philosophy and teachings. It's just the 1x/mth hasn't worked out well.

• Like 1

I highly recommend OnlineG3 - they have an american lit course. They have weekly live classes (great discussions) and they read A LOT! They read Great Expectations in three weeks. For an additional fee you can also add the writing component where they are doing lit analysis. 

Brave writer is another option.