Menu

Essentials in Writing Placement?

I'm considering EIW for my up-coming 9th grader but have some placement concerns.  We haven't done much structured grammar over the years so he only knows the very basic parts of speech and punctuation.  I understand that the 9th level doesn't have specific grammar instruction but is gone over/reviewed in the context of writing.

I spoke with EIW's customer service and she said he would probably be fine and that I could always supplement with a grammar program if needed.  But I'm still wondering.

For those that have experience with this program, do you think a student who isn't strong in grammar can manage and be successful in the 9th level? 

I was also thinking of other options such as:

1. - grab a copy of Easy Grammar Plus starting now and through the summer to prep him and place him in the 9th level in the fall or

2. - put him in the 8th level for 9th grade and then just progress him up the following levels ending on the 11th level by 12th grade 

I'd love an opinion from someone who is familiar with this program and any advice you could offer.

I've used levels 7-11 with my kids. Your son's lack of grammar isn't going to impact whether he can do the course, unless his grammar is so off that he can't compose sentences. The biggest determiner of whether to place him in 8 or 9 would be whether he needs a more incremental approach to writing. Level 8 is going to be more gradual and incremental in some areas than levels 9 and 10--and levels 9 and 10 are more incremental than levels 11 and 12. So, expect some "jumps" in how much explaining the instructor does on the videos when going from 8 to 9 or from 10 to 11. 

Of the levels I did, I actually liked 8 the best, but they all worked well here. 

As an example of something that is more incremental--in the sentence portion of each level, your son will work on things like identifying dependent and independent clauses and proper comma usage, how to combine sentences in various ways, and so on. In level 8, the program provides sentences for the student to analyze and rewrite. In level 9, they still explain about different types of sentences but have the student find sentences in outside reading to use as examples. That takes a deeper understanding and ability to analyze, and might be a stretch for some students. So that's one way in which I think 8 is a gentler introduction for both student and mom (because you know who will do the helping and scaffolding if the student struggles with the assignment!)

He'll get experience with writing various types of essays and a research paper in either level.

HTH some!

• Like 2

I've used levels 7-11 with my kids. Your son's lack of grammar isn't going to impact whether he can do the course, unless his grammar is so off that he can't compose sentences. The biggest determiner of whether to place him in 8 or 9 would be whether he needs a more incremental approach to writing. Level 8 is going to be more gradual and incremental in some areas than levels 9 and 10--and levels 9 and 10 are more incremental than levels 11 and 12. So, expect some "jumps" in how much explaining the instructor does on the videos when going from 8 to 9 or from 10 to 11. 

Of the levels I did, I actually liked 8 the best, but they all worked well here. 

As an example of something that is more incremental--in the sentence portion of each level, your son will work on things like identifying dependent and independent clauses and proper comma usage, how to combine sentences in various ways, and so on. In level 8, the program provides sentences for the student to analyze and rewrite. In level 9, they still explain about different types of sentences but have the student find sentences in outside reading to use as examples. That takes a deeper understanding and ability to analyze, and might be a stretch for some students. So that's one way in which I think 8 is a gentler introduction for both student and mom (because you know who will do the helping and scaffolding if the student struggles with the assignment!)

He'll get experience with writing various types of essays and a research paper in either level.

HTH some!

Yes!  This helps A LOT! Thank you!! :)  I was concerned that the program would start slinging grammar terms/concepts he isn't familiar with and expect him to already know what they are and how they are used/applied.  I don't want him frustrated to the point he thinks he can't do it or won't try.  He actually writes pretty well but it's been limited to short stories of his choosing, so not a lot of pressure there.

Could I apply this same advice with my dd who will be entering 7th grade?  Same situation with her....minimal grammar knowledge.  I was wavering between levels 6 & 7 for her.  I'm thinking 6 now because I think she needs a bit more foundation and struggles more when it comes to actual composition.

One more quick question....do I need the Assessment/Resource Book for them?

Yes!  This helps A LOT! Thank you!! :)  I was concerned that the program would start slinging grammar terms/concepts he isn't familiar with and expect him to already know what they are and how they are used/applied.  I don't want him frustrated to the point he thinks he can't do it or won't try.  He actually writes pretty well but it's been limited to short stories of his choosing, so not a lot of pressure there.

I don't think you'll find that an issue at all--any time he does use a term he explains it (for example, when he's teaching about how to combine sentences, he talks about conjunctions and then also gives a list of them in the workbook. In Level 8 he teaches about how to use prepositional phrases to vary sentence structure and add to the descriptions in one's writing, and he tells what those are as he teaches--my dd felt that was the first time she really understood the purpose of prepositional phrases. 

Could I apply this same advice with my dd who will be entering 7th grade?  Same situation with her....minimal grammar knowledge.  I was wavering between levels 6 & 7 for her.  I'm thinking 6 now because I think she needs a bit more foundation and struggles more when it comes to actual composition.

One more quick question....do I need the Assessment/Resource Book for them?

I never used 6, but I would probably decide based on whether you plan to teach grammar another year (if you're going to focus on grammar in 8th, it won't matter as much if you don't cover it in 7th). My understanding is that about half the year for Level 6 is spent on grammar and the other half on writing. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the Assessment/Resource Book--is that something beyond the DVDs and Workbooks that come with each level? I see a "Resource" Book listed with Essentials in Literature...not sure if that's what you mean?

Edited by MerryAtHope