Menu

NM

Chris in VA

Depends on your situation whether it's an issue or not.

In freshman year, my DD was home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. She had no close friend group in our town (her two best friends had graduated college when she left). It would have been fine. 

My DS, OTOH, is home every weekend because his gf lives here. He'd want a base here, so we could not simply up and leave. This will change when gf moves with him to college city.

But neitehr attends a state school. If your kid attends a public uni where tuition depends on residency, I would not move out of state.

Edited by regentrude

Well, it would certainly be hard.  But people do hard things all the time.  Sometimes it's just the way it is.  My parents moved from Tennessee to South Dakota when I was a junior in high school, and that was really, REALLY hard for me.  Then when I went to college, they moved from South Dakota to Kentucky, so when I came "home" for holidays, I knew nobody in the town and had no connections to anything.  But, it's just the way it was.  

I still mourn the house I grew up in, though.  My sister wound up moving to that town, and I always drive past it longingly.  When I have dreams set in "homes," that's the house I dream about.

• Like 1