Menu

Neil Gaiman books

My daughter is enjoying The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman.

I'm wondering what ages his other books are best suited for. Common Sense Media, my go-to for this sort of thing, isn't being very helpful, unfortunately.

We're thinking about Neverwhere or Interworld. Any thoughts on these? Any other favourites for us to seek out?

My daughter is nearly 12. The only thing I don't really want yet is too much adult content.

Thanks  :)

Interworld is for sure fine for a 12 year old. I'd let my sensitive 8 year old read it, but it'd go over his head. 

Neverwhere has one scene where someone is tortured. It's not described in super extreme detail, but it's pretty unsettling IMO. One of my kids wouldn't notice and the other would be freaking out, so ymmv. Neverwhere overall is a bit....hmm not "spookier" but definitely, let's say, weirder. It's great :)

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Neverwhere has some profanity.

I'm pretty sure it has a passing memory or fantasy of a sexual encounter. (Maybe the main character remembering his fiancé longingly.)

There is some violence. Two characters thrive on pain/suffering and their dialogue reflects that.

FWIW, it's one of my favorite books but I wouldn't have my nearly-12 year old read it, yet.

M is for Magic is supposedly a juvenile lit book. I didn't care for it. It felt excessively depressing.

• Like 1

I'm a Gaiman fan, but he can definitely be unsettling for kids. My very brave DD9 who is constantly begging me to watch scary movies was utterly creeped out by Coraline, both the book and especially the movie. It's the one thing she says she'll never watch again. Same for DD12. They also hated Nightmare Before Christmas. Can't say I blame them though.

• Like 1

My 18 year old was just talking about his books -- she just recently realized that the Graveyard Book was written by Neil Gaiman. She said that that was the only book she had read that truly terrified her growing up. She had nightmares off and on for years.  She says she's going to try to read it again to overcome her fears. :-)  

She also hated Coraline.  So I guess he inspires strong reactions!

• Like 2

Yes, Coraline, Odd and the Frost Giants (a family fave)...Neverwhere? Maybe. It depends on the 12 year old.  I would probably suggest Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy and Hunger Games first. If those have been read and digested..again..maybe?  Neverwhere scared the bejeepers out of me, lol. But my older kid was reading Stephen King short stories at 12-13 and loving it. 

I just got my 13 year old Gaiman's Norse Mythology book for his birthday. He likes it very much and its taking him time to plow through

• Like 1

My super sensitive kid LOVED The Graveyard Book at 8 or 9.  She didn't do Coraline, but she really, really loved Good Omens, which was co-written with Terry Pratchett, at ten.  It was a little dated, so I had to explain some dated/ cultural things ("Um, what's an answerphone?  What is Queen?").  But it's really, really funny.

• Like 1

Another Gaiman that I loved was Stardust - it's more in line with Odd than Coraline or Graveyard.  It has a scene right at the beginning where the main character is conceived. I read it before kids, and I remember being disappointed I wouldn't be able to share it with my students at the time (6-8th gd) because otherwise I really liked it and it seemed appropriate. 

• Like 1

I just recently finished Good Omens written with Terry Pratchett.   It is precisely like you would think 50% Gaiman and 50% Pratchett.  Light humor, but dark.  I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have my 7-year-old daughter reading it.  If we were atheists I wouldn't have any problem with it.  

• Like 1

I just recently finished Good Omens written with Terry Pratchett.   It is precisely like you would think 50% Gaiman and 50% Pratchett.  Light humor, but dark.  I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't have my 7-year-old daughter reading it.  If we were atheists I wouldn't have any problem with it.  

Interesting.  We're pretty devout progressive Christians (Episcopalians), but we all LOVE Good Omens.  Not at seven, but my ten year old adored it.  

• Like 1

Interesting.  We're pretty devout progressive Christians (Episcopalians), but we all LOVE Good Omens.  Not at seven, but my ten year old adored it.  

DD hasn't committed to Christianity, but 7 is young.   Once she has I'd be OK with her reading it.  I thought it was a hoot.  

• Like 2