Menu

NYC hotel without spending a fortune?

Ann.without.an.e

We need to go to NYC this summer for an awards banquet. We’ve never been so we’d like to stay a few nights and tour a bit. Summer prices on hotels are $$$. I need some tips on booking a hotel that will have an option to reach the subway. I know nada about NYC. Any tips or ideas on how to save money and still book a decent hotel? Thanks â¤ï¸

If you're okay with not going back to your room during the day, you could look at hotels in NJ. We usually stay in the Meadowlands area and take the bus to Port Authority which is right next to Times Square.

I love this idea. We do it often to save ie. we don't stay near the theme park or the Golden Gate etc.

Alley

• Like 1

We need to go to NYC this summer for an awards banquet. We’ve never been so we’d like to stay a few nights and tour a bit. Summer prices on hotels are $$$. I need some tips on booking a hotel that will have an option to reach the subway. I know nada about NYC. Any tips or ideas on how to save money and still book a decent hotel? Thanks â¤ï¸

If you give us a general idea of where the banquet is being held, that would be very helpful. It would make sense to stay near that location if it’s also relatively close to other things you want to see and do while you’re in the city.

It’s hard to make suggestions without knowing some of the places you’d like to visit, as it would be nice if you could choose a hotel that will allow you to walk to at least some of the places that are of interest to you.

I know budget is a concern, but sometimes it’s worth spending more to stay at a centrally-located hotel than it is to be far away from everything you want to see and do.

• Like 1

My dh did a good job finding us a Fairfield Inn (I think), a few blocks from Time Square, walking distance from the train station where our Amtrak train came in from Boston, and a block or so from a big bus, subway station (can you tell I'm lacking a few details here?) Free breakfast too. The room was the size of a postage stamp--probably would have been okay for 4 people but 5 with a wheelchair was really pushing it. But the rooms were up-to-date and pretty nice. I think this is the one we stayed at--37th avenue.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nyctm-fairfield-inn-and-suites-new-york-manhattan-fifth-avenue/

• Like 3

Are you going with your whole family of just you and dh?

If you're okay with not going back to your room during the day, you could look at hotels in NJ. We usually stay in the Meadowlands area and take the bus to Port Authority which is right next to Times Square.

How much is the budget?  How many people per room?

Queens(Long Island city or Astoria for example) less expensive.

Or Airbnb. Basically stay outside the city and take subway/PATH (if in NJ) in.

If you give us a general idea of where the banquet is being held, that would be very helpful. It would make sense to stay near that location if it’s also relatively close to other things you want to see and do while you’re in the city.

It’s hard to make suggestions without knowing some of the places you’d like to visit, as it would be nice if you could choose a hotel that will allow you to walk to at least some of the places that are of interest to you.

I know budget is a concern, but sometimes it’s worth spending more to stay at a centrally-located hotel than it is to be far away from everything you want to see and do.

My dh did a good job finding us a Fairfield Inn (I think), a few blocks from Time Square, walking distance from the train station where our Amtrak train came in from Boston, and a block or so from a big bus, subway station (can you tell I'm lacking a few details here?) Free breakfast too. The room was the size of a postage stamp--probably would have been okay for 4 people but 5 with a wheelchair was really pushing it. But the rooms were up-to-date and pretty nice. I think this is the one we stayed at--37th avenue.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/nyctm-fairfield-inn-and-suites-new-york-manhattan-fifth-avenue/

Carnegie Hall is where DD's award ceremony is, but we want to see NYC too.  We don't mind going into the city for the day as long as we don't have to spend a ton of money on transportation to get there. We can use subway or whatever is commonly used.  

We would love to keep it under $300 a night but definitely not more than $350 and the tricky part is we would like to go with 5 (oldest dd will be in Spain).  I don't mind at all a NJ hotel as long as someone can tell me how to get from there to the city  :laugh:  Seriously I am clueless.

We have stayed at the Carter Hotel a few times.  Not the prettiest place.  Funky.  Kinda bordering on gross if I'm being honest, but they have improved it over the years (paint, new carpet).  I know, I'm really talking it up here, but it is one of the cheapest places we've found that also includes a bathroom you don't have to share.  I've seen cheaper with shared bathrooms (which ya know..).

I'm super mega cheap when it comes to hotels because I figure I'm not going to do anything but crash there for a few hours. 

We have been able to get good rates at the LaQuinta which is midtown (near the Empire State Building) on a number of occasions.  I do not know if they have any rooms that would be large enough for 5--you would probably have to do 2 rooms (we have stayed there with DH, myself, and 2 kids before).

I have found that prices can vary in New York quite a bit from one day to the next.  Last time I went I got a very good deal at the Sheraton Times Square.

We stayed at the Avalon hotel two blocks from Penn station - it was a large room that slept five - two queens and a pull out sofa - it was 350 but so convenient. And a beautiful room. We looked at NJ and ferrying in but the transportation to get in would have been too much.

Not sure where Carnegie Hall is in relation though.

We have stayed in the Hilton garden inn in Staten Island and we take the free ferry into Manhattan. It was around $100 a night and we enjoyed the ride and seeing the Statue of Liberty. It is a drive to the ferry from the hotel and you have to pay to park, so I don’t know if it is all that convenient. It worked for us though, for the price.

Carnegie Hall is where DD's award ceremony is, but we want to see NYC too. We don't mind going into the city for the day as long as we don't have to spend a ton of money on transportation to get there. We can use subway or whatever is commonly used.

We would love to keep it under $300 a night but definitely not more than $350 and the tricky part is we would like to go with 5 (oldest dd will be in Spain). I don't mind at all a NJ hotel as long as someone can tell me how to get from there to the city :laugh: Seriously I am clueless.

The Hoboken idea, below, makes sense. Commuting from NJ can be painful if you have to take a bus -- busses take you to the crowded and rapidly deteriorating Port Authority bus terminal.

ETA

I don't really have words to describe the awfulness of the bus terminal -- buckets catching water from the leaking roof, changing locations of busses without announcements, and so on. Not to mention delays, both coming and going. Busses go through the Lincoln Tunnel, often slow, slow, slow.

Path train is different from Bus terminal.

Check the W Hoboken hotel. It is in walking distance to the Path train, which goes into the city. Hoboken has tons of places to eat, too, and a pretty waterfront overlooking Manhattan. It may be in your price range.

I just looked up the Hotel Pennsylvania, on 34th street. I have never stayed there, and the reviews are not stellar. I only mentioned it because prices came in under your budget when I plugged in a random date. Ds goes there for chess tournaments and says it's ok. Tournaments used to be held at New Yorker Hotel in same area, not sure of prices. Both once used to be grand old hotels, emphasis on used to be.

Both hotels are right next to subway stops.

Personally, I like to be able to pop back to my hotel room during the course of a day, even if the room is not great, but ymmv.

Edited by Alessandra

How many people?

AirBnB and VRBO are my go-tos for expensive areas. I stayed in Jamaica when I had a layover. Prices were pretty low and you could see by reviews which places were decent. I stayed in a place, super, super simple, someone's basement mini-room, but it hit the spot for a $55 layover stay. Clean, quiet, nice family.

Look at The Salisbury. It is across from Carneige Hall, and has rooms that will fit 5 or more. I could only see June on the website, but all rooms are under $300.

I have also stayed in the hotel attached the PATH train in Newark. It was a nice hotel.

What time of day will your daughter be finishing at Carneige Hall?

I think this is where we stayed a few years ago on a Saturday night in the fall. It was in the price range you posted plus parking and the cheapest I could find. I agree, clean, modern tiny room.

We also stayed once in New Jersey for just over $100 at a clean motel and I researched parking for a day in NYC and got the cheapest rate and prepaid.

• Like 1

We did a trip to NYC 2 years ago with 9 of us - so we ended up in a AirBnb in NJ, Seacacus I think. It took 10-15 minute by bus to get into Port Authority terminal and we went on from there - the bus does add up a bit.

In hindsight, it would have been better to spend more on a place in NYC. We calculated out that even with the bus fees it was cheaper in NJ but the hassle factor would have been worth the little bit more we would have spent total in NYC.  And then we could have gone back to the room/house in the middle of the day if we needed to, that wasn't possible with the NJ place. 

DH and I took a trip to NYC in October and stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn in Long Island City/Queens.  I'm not sure if it can accommodate your crew, but the prices were fair.  It's right on the E, M, R subway lines at Queens Plaza station, of which you can take the R-line right to Carnegie Hall in minutes.

We flew into LaGuardia and took Uber to our hotel and back for about $25 each way. You can do public transportation from LaGuardia into the city, but it's more complicated and takes more time, and Uber takes you door-to-door.  Super slick! 

When we were there, the Subway was $32/person/7-day pass. We were only there for 3 days, but the Subway pass paid for itself for all the times we jumped on/off it.

My sister likes to drive into NJ, stay at this Super8 in N Bergen, and take a cheap shuttle bus into NYC to Port Authority.

Edited by ChrisB

Booking.com

I use it for every hotel and it's fabulous. You can look at the map, pick an area, read reviews, etc. Many have free cancellation. Be careful when choosing rooms and make sure you pick the correct bed set up for your family. I have a $20 off referral code if you want it feel free to PM me.

FWIW, I travel a lot. Like, a LOT. I'd recommend staying close to your event even if it costs a little more. Travel always takes longer than you expect and $40/night gets eaten up quickly in time. I don't go crazy, but I do plan accordingly (and having the option to go back or decompress is a great thing).

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 1

Carnegie Hall is where DD's award ceremony is, but we want to see NYC too. We don't mind going into the city for the day as long as we don't have to spend a ton of money on transportation to get there. We can use subway or whatever is commonly used.

We would love to keep it under $300 a night but definitely not more than $350 and the tricky part is we would like to go with 5 (oldest dd will be in Spain). I don't mind at all a NJ hotel as long as someone can tell me how to get from there to the city :laugh: Seriously I am clueless.

For Carnegie Hall stay in queens and take the R/N/W train to 59th st station. It takes less than 20 min from Astoria. Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

We booked in Manhattan.  We probably spent too much money, honestly.  We booked a bundle with flights.  The thought of NYC is just overwhelming to us non-city folk and we need it to be easy peasy  :laugh:

I'm glad you did.  We've only stayed in Manhattan and have always been so glad.  We've always been able to find some lower-priced hotels that are very decent, or sometimes family-like hostels, or rooms that sleep a lot of people instead of two 4-person rooms, etc.  It's always worth it, to me.

• Like 3

I'll be in NYC in a few weeks, and we are staying in Hoboken (w/my SIL). We stayed there last year and it was a 15-min walk from her place to the PATH train/ferry to NYC, and the views of Manhattan from Hoboken are the iconic ones we've all seen in movies. We love taking the ferry; the ride was too short at 7 minutes! & it lets you off right at WTC (World Trade Center)/Battery Park. It's cheaper and faster to take the PATH train, but that goes under the Hudson and you don't get the views. 

Oh, and we looked up Airbnb's in Hoboken and they are surprisingly affordable, for being a 7-minute ferry ride from Manhattan.

Enjoy!

ETA: Ha, I posted without reading the whole thread :)

I am also a firm proponent of keeping things simple and being right there. So your decision sounds perfect!

Edited by Laura in CA
  • Like 1

The train from Newark, NJ leaves from the airport and is a super quick trip to Penn Station. There is a New Jersey transit app that you can use to book train tickets on the phone. Really easy. The hotels will be way cheaper than NYC.

We typically stay out in Princeton, NJ, but that’s a longer ride; about an hour on the train.

I will say this though...research the locations of public bathrooms if you do not have an NYC hotel room, and bring an external charger for your phone. Places to plug in are RARE.

Edited by GoodGrief
  • Like 2

I'll be in NYC in a few weeks, and we are staying in Hoboken (w/my SIL). We stayed there last year and it was a 15-min walk from her place to the PATH train/ferry to NYC, and the views of Manhattan from Hoboken are the iconic ones we've all seen in movies. We love taking the ferry; the ride was too short at 7 minutes! & it lets you off right at WTC (World Trade Center)/Battery Park. It's cheaper and faster to take the PATH train, but that goes under the Hudson and you don't get the views.

Oh, and we looked up Airbnb's in Hoboken and they are surprisingly affordable, for being a 7-minute ferry ride from Manhattan.

Enjoy!

ETA: Ha, I posted without reading the whole thread :)

I am also a firm proponent of keeping things simple and being right there. So your decision sounds perfect!

The OP is all set, but in case someone reads this in the future: the whole staying in Manhattan thing only works is you are staying within walking distance of where you need to be. Otherwise, downtown is easiest (and cleanest!) reached via Hoboken as in the quoted post, and midtown west side is closest to Queens probably than say UES (because there’s subway service to one and not to the other :))
  • Like 2

The train from Newark, NJ leaves from the airport and is a super quick trip to Penn Station. There is a New Jersey transit app that you can use to book train tickets on the phone. Really easy. The hotels will be way cheaper than NYC.

We typically stay out in Princeton, NJ, but that’s a longer ride; about an hour on the train.

I will say this though...research the locations of public bathrooms if you do not have an NYC hotel room, and bring an external charger for your phone. Places to plug in are RARE.

We will be staying in Princeton a few days, too! (Do you have a student there?) Do you know a good place to stay in Princeton? We are currently booked at ... I don't know the name. It's right on Route 1 near the lake ...

• Like 1

Oh no, is it hard to find restrooms? DS absolutely has to have bathroom access :(

We will be staying in Princeton a few days, too! (Do you have a student there?) Do you know a good place to stay in Princeton? We are currently booked at ... I don't know the name. It's right on Route 1 near the lake ...

I’ve stayed at the Residence Inn, Homewood Suites, and The Courtyard in Princeton. They’re kind of all on the same strip, or near it, and it’s easy to get a roomvas long as nothing is going on at the convention center.

• Like 1