Menu

Need reading help re: suffixes

We're using AAR, Level 3, working on suffixes, particularly dropping the y, adding i and the suffix. My little guy is doing great if he can read the root word first. Ex. Silly --> Sillier. However, if he comes upon the word without seeing the root word first, then he has the worst time. I'm having him use his letter tiles to reverse the process (take off the suffix, change the i back into a y). That helps some, but I was wondering if there was some other teaching technique or exercise I could use to help him. Thanks for any help!

I would start each day with a tile demonstration until this gets easier for him. Do a couple of words from each direction--first model root words and how they change when suffixes are added, and have him read both the root and the new word. Then model a couple of words that already have suffixes, and see if he can identify the root word. You can have him work backwards with the tiles, but also have him try just covering up the suffix (the way he did with the "sleeping mice" activity from a few lessons prior)--have him cover up the -er or -es suffix and leave the root word with the i. (You can also do this for him at first if he finds it difficult). Ask him if he knows what the root word is. If he's confused about the i, remind him that the root word would have a y. Then when he says the root word, have him try the word again.

This second strategy of just covering up the root will probably be faster for him when he's reading on the fluency pages or in the reader, but always go back to the tiles if he does get confused.

I think adding some pre-teaching demonstrations with the tiles each day will help him start to catch on to these. 

HTH some!

• Like 1

I am not familiar with this program at all, but I have a strong preference for a "direct teaching followed up with gradual systematic practice" approach for stuff like this.

In your case, I would get or make a list of words (real and/ nonsense) with this kind of spell change and go through it with him, doing 3-10 at a time with him over a few days.

Once I'd taken him through several practice examples for a few days, and he was getting used to it, print out a list of words that already have the suffix attached (no base words at all) in a large font, then write a lower case "y" on his thumb nail (the actual nail of his thumb) in sharpie and have him read the words, any time that he doesn't get it, he needs to cover up the suffix of each word with his thumb and read the "base word", then try again.

• Like 2

Thank you so much! MerryAtHope, I plan on doing exactly what you suggest. I will add that activity to our review time. Gil, I think you would like AAR based on your comments. My son would get a huge kick out of writing the "y" on his thumb nail. I'm spending our reading time tomorrow doing that! Thank you both!

• Like 1