Menu

thinking of buying a bike

SparklyUnicorn

So far I only looked at Walmart.  Not sure there are even other options nearby so maybe I'll have to try on-line.  Thing I don't like is the bikes they have are so crazy heavy.  I do not need a top of the line bike, but I would prefer something lighter because I'll have to lift this thing onto a rack on the back of the car.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Based on what I'm reading I'll need a 24 inch.  (ideally not too expensive)

If there is a bike store nearby you can go there to have them fit you for a bike. Then you can buy one from Craig’s list - a better bike at Walmart prices. Don’t feel bad about the bike store fitting- you might find you will need to have the bike tuned up or need a new tire or something.

Dh’s bike is too big for me, and mine is definitely too small for him. Both have the same wheel size but different frames and different manufacturers.

My 26 year old Giant bike is still going strong but it’s heavier than a current Giant bike. Lighter than a Walmart bike though.

• Like 2

I would check Craigslist. Just this past week I saw used Trek, Giant, and a couple other name brands being sold for under $200. The Walmart bikes do tend to be heavier than bike shop brands. My 5 year olds Walmart bike is significantly heavier than my bike.

The good thing is that if you take care of your bike it will last a long time. I still ride my Trek that is 20 years old, newer ones have nicer features but I like mine just fine.

You can also see if a bike shop has used bikes for sale.

• Like 2

What type of bike are you looking for?

Mountain bikes are usually sized in inches, as can be youth bikes. Road and hybrid are sized in cms.

I'm 5'3 and ride a 48 cm road bike, and 15 inch mountain bike with 26- 27.5 inch wheels.

There are tons of terrific bike shops all over NY--I can send or PM you links if you are interested.

• Like 1

What type of bike are you looking for?

Mountain bikes are usually sized in inches, as can be youth bikes. Road and hybrid are sized in cms.

I'm 5'3 and ride a 48 cm road bike, and 15 inch mountain bike with 26- 27.5 inch wheels.

There are tons of terrific bike shops all over NY--I can send or PM you links if you are interested.

I'm 5ft.  I don't think I'd be comfortable with a 26/27 inch bike.  Clothing wise I have a 25 inch inseam if that helps. 

Basically, I just want a bike that is easy to transport by car that I'll only use occasionally and I'll have to store it in my house (which involves carrying it up and down stairs).  Also, something that is easy for me to get on and off of.  I don't want to jump on and off.  KWIM?  With a larger bike I'd have to.  My son has a 26 inch and I have all I can do to get on that bike so it's not comfortable and the thing is a heavy mountain style bike. 

I'd be using it on a nearby bike path. 

So basically it doesn't have to be anything spectacular for the use it'll get (which frankly probably won't be a ton since I'll have to drive by car to the bike path).  I'll probably only use it in summer and possibly the beginning of fall. 

Are there any similar bikes that are sold and shipped by Walmart? There are only two reviews of the bike you’re looking at, and one is pretty bad, so if I were you, I would want to be able to return it to the store.

Does Amazon have anything good?

• Like 1

If there is a bike store nearby you can go there to have them fit you for a bike. Then you can buy one from Craig’s list - a better bike at Walmart prices. Don’t feel bad about the bike store fitting- you might find you will need to have the bike tuned up or need a new tire or something.

Dh’s bike is too big for me, and mine is definitely too small for him. Both have the same wheel size but different frames and different manufacturers.

My 26 year old Giant bike is still going strong but it’s heavier than a current Giant bike. Lighter than a Walmart bike though.

I would not buy a bike on Craigslist unless the owner has proof that they bought it themselves.

Says the person who has had multiple bikes stolen.

• Like 2

Are there any similar bikes that are sold and shipped by Walmart? There are only two reviews of the bike you’re looking at, and one is pretty bad, so if I were you, I would want to be able to return it to the store.

Does Amazon have anything good?

Oh I would not necessarily buy that one.  Just I like the concept.

I'll see what Amazon has.

I would not buy a bike on Craigslist unless the owner has proof that they bought it themselves.

Says the person who has had multiple bikes stolen.

Same here.  We've had 2 stolen.  Which is why I have to keep them in the house. 

Hell, I lock up my grill because people would steal it around here.

I only gave my measurements to give you an idea. A youth sized cross or hybrid might be what you are looking for--I would not recommend a mountain bike if you will be riding on paths. They are too cumbersome and heavy for that kind of riding. A size for a hybrid to start with might be between a 13-15 inch frame.

I do not recommend buying used unless you know exactly what you are looking for and looking AT. I highly suggest taking a road trip to a local bike shop, where they can help you get just what you need and want. Contrary to common belief, they are not necessarily more expensive but you will be much more likely to end up with a bike that suits you well, which is important if you actually want to enjoy it.

• Like 4

My DS13 has this 20†bike when he was my height (157cm/5’2â€). It was light enough to carry down one flight of stairs to the bike path behind my complex. It’s not a fancy bike, good enough for the gravel bike path that runs parallel to a creek. My jeans inseam is 26†and this bike is just nice to get on and off at the lowest bike saddle setting.

We bought during ToysRUs summer bike sale. Walmart and Target were having a bike summer sale at the same time but my kids liked the ones at TRU. It was around April.

https://m.toysrus.com/product?productId=17599356

Product Weight: 35.82, $89.99

This one is popular too for summer riding in my neighborhood and lighter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huffy-Rock-It-20-Boys-Bike-Grey/190152407

Weight: 26.8 lbs, $54

If you can wait until next month, Walmart, Target and ToysRUs is likely going to have their annual summer bike sale. I find the 24†bike harder to get on unless it’s a roadster (ladies road bike).

• Like 1

Most of the bikes (maybe all?) at Wal Mart, Target, etc will have steel frames. If you’re looking for a lighter bike, I’d look into an aluminum frame. I’d also head to a bike store. Imo, it’s worth the trip and they can get you properly fitted for a bike. Then, if you want to shop elsewhere you’ll at least have a better idea of what you want.

More on bike frames here - https://gearjunkie.com/bike-frame-materials-difference

• Like 6

Personally, I won't buy another Wal-Mart (or similar) bike; They don't stay in alignment and are difficult to repair when something does go wrong because the parts don't fit together as well.  I, too, thought I wouldn't ride much so I didn't need a nice bike; but I have found these inexpensive bikes don't hold up not being ridden.  

• Like 5

I found my "new" bike at a flea market, half the price of a new Wal-Mart one.

As pp mentioned it is a considerably older nicer bike and WAY lighter than my older Wal-Mart one (which I bought used at that). 

It lasted me well enough but it was certainly not light at all. You get a much better bike buying used. 

Dh found his older model Trek on Craigslist. Mine is a Giant.

I know some of the bike stores even sell used bikes, if you go in and get fitted you can see about getting put on a list in case one comes in your size and while your there you could try out some of the different brands to see what you like. I'd look in the phone book for bikes and then call them. 

You could also watch the classifieds too.

Edited by soror
  • Like 2

go to bike store...the 24 inches just aren't right in the distance between seat and handlebar. you want something designed for a gal, like a Trek hybrid.  I'd look at craig's list for one a teen or college student bought a while back and is lightly used.   Upgrade if you decide you are in to it.

What do you mean the 24 inches aren't right in the distance between seat and handlebar?

Oh dang.  See I looked up two local bike places.  They have absolutely nothing under $200 (except little kid bikes) and most are WELL above that price.  I just can't justify spending that much for the use it'll get.

Bike stores are for more serious bikers.  

I used to mountain bike.  I spent about 10 times that, and that was back in the 90's.  I competed a bit, mostly for fun.  I am also 5' and you can't just go buy a competition ready bike off the rack in the wheel size needed.

But for fun, I honestly would look for something like a beach cruiser.  You can buy those online (Schwinn) or at places like REI, but they may be more than $200.

• Like 1

TBH I wish I would have done some hunting for a nicer cheap bike when I first bought one. But like you I didn't know if it was worth it for me. 

I bought a used Wal-Mart one, there is a local guy that fixes up bikes and resells them. We thought if we end up using these a lot we'll upgrade. It got us from point A to B but cheap bikes are harder to ride and take more energy, you feel that the most on hills, heavy bikes are a b*tch uphill!!!

We don't bike a ton but have kept with it when we can get a ride in when the weather is decent. We had our old ones for at least 5 yrs and although not great they were still rolling.

• Like 3

What do you mean the 24 inches aren't right in the distance between seat and handlebar?

Obviously I'm not the person you quoted but 24" refers to the frame size, not the frame dimensions. Frame dimensions vary and are part of what make a make a bike fit right, or not, to a specific person.

Any bike shop will help fit a bike for you. It really is important to get the right frame if you want to enjoy your bike.

• Like 2

Bike stores are for more serious bikers.

Around here that’s not true. Tons of occasional riders buy from a bike shop, and ours sells used bikes because they take trade ins. When dh bought his Trek cruiser they had several used ones that had been traded in. The bike stores I frequent have entry level new bikes starting around $250. Definitely higher priced than Walmart but the bikes last longer too.

• Like 3

So far I only looked at Walmart.  Not sure there are even other options nearby so maybe I'll have to try on-line.  Thing I don't like is the bikes they have are so crazy heavy.  I do not need a top of the line bike, but I would prefer something lighter because I'll have to lift this thing onto a rack on the back of the car.  Anyone have any suggestions?  Based on what I'm reading I'll need a 24 inch.  (ideally not too expensive)

Specialized makes lighter bikes. You'll want to go to a bike shop NOT Wal-mart.

Obviously I'm not the person you quoted but 24" refers to the frame size, not the frame dimensions. Frame dimensions vary and are part of what make a make a bike fit right, or not, to a specific person.

Any bike shop will help fit a bike for you. It really is important to get the right frame if you want to enjoy your bike.

Well actually this referred to the wheel size.  It said on the chart attached to the bike the height range.  The range was something like 4ft 6 to 5ft 2.  So it seems I should fit comfortably within that range.

• Like 1

Around here that’s not true. Tons of occasional riders buy from a bike shop, and ours sells used bikes because they take trade ins. When dh bought his Trek cruiser they had several used ones that had been traded in. The bike stores I frequent have entry level new bikes starting around $250. Definitely higher priced than Walmart but the bikes last longer too.

But again, I cannot afford that kind of money on a bike.  Especially since this is something that will rarely get used and when used it will be on a flat bike path.  So no varying terrain or hills. 

Starting at 250..that's already past what I want to spend!

• Like 2

But again, I cannot afford that kind of money on a bike. Especially since this is something that will rarely get used and when used it will be on a flat bike path. So no varying terrain or hills.

Starting at 250..that's already past what I want to spend!

I totally get that- no need to buy a fancy bike for casual riding. I was mostly replying to Dawn’s comment that bike stores are for serious riders. I’m not a serious rider but have never felt out of place at a bike store.

Do you have a Target near you? Once upon a time they sold a little better bike than Walmart did but for nearly the same price.

The 24 inch one you mentioned might fit you perfectly, depending on the frame. You want to be sure you’re comfortable on it- the arm reach isn’t too short or long, and your seat height keeps your back from hurting. DH and I have the same wheel size but his frame is too big for me and my arms have to reach too far. And his seat lowered all the way still leaves me unable to touch the ground.

Is the bike you’re looking at one of those with a cute basket? I think those bikes are so neat and would love one for around town errands.

• Like 1

Well actually this referred to the wheel size. It said on the chart attached to the bike the height range. The range was something like 4ft 6 to 5ft 2. So it seems I should fit comfortably within that range.

So you are looking at mountain bikes? If you want a lighter frame, a hybrid will better suit your needs. The size listed there will be the frame size, not wheel size, which is a totally different thing (and not as much a consideration for you).

• Like 1