Menu

Do you remember?

Night Elf

The very first time you saw your DH/DW? Was it love at first sight?

I thought my DH was cute and that I'd like to get to know him better but I didn't fall in love at first sight. However, by the end of the weekend, I knew I wanted to marry him. We were engaged 5-6 months later. 

• Like 2

I know when I met him, but I don't remember meeting him specifically. It was my first week of college (he was two years ahead of me), and I was meeting a LOT of new people! 

He, on the other hand, remembers meeting me, and was interested in getting to know me better from that first meeting. But we didn't start dating until several months later.

• Like 1

I was very attracted to DH and wanted to date him the first time we met. :drool5: It was at a church function. I was 15 and he was 20. We had one conversation that day. Saw him one more time later that same week at same church, but we didn't speak at all that night. He actually left with another girl closer to his age.  :crying:  After that I didn't see him again for 2 years when I was 17. It wasn't until then that we had our first date. Within a month or two I was sure he was it. We married a year and a half later.

Edited by BearWallowSchool
  • Like 1

The first time I saw him was at the middle school spring band concert. He was playing a solo in the 6th grade band. I was in 8th grade watching from the audience. Distinct (and corroborated) memory, but I didn't know him at all.

I saw him again when he was in 8th grade, again playing in a concert.

First time we actually met was the second day of band camp his freshman year. I wouldn't say love at first sight (he was 14 and I was 16!), but it felt different immediately. I can't even call it a crush, because I'd certainly had those before. It felt like seeing the future, meeting the person who is still going to be there in 20, 30, 50 years. Immediate comfort and security in a single person, something that went beyond a potential friend or boyfriend.

And that is darn frightening when you are 16.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 6

The first time I saw him was at the middle school spring band concert. He was playing a solo in the 6th grade band. I was in 8th grade watching from the audience. Distinct (and corroborated) memory, but I didn't know him at all.

I saw him again when he was in 8th grade, again playing in a concert.

First time we actually met was the second day of band camp his freshman year. I wouldn't say love at first sight (he was 14 and I was 16!), but it felt different immediately. I can't even call it a crush, because I'd certainly had those before. It felt like seeing the future, meeting the person who is still going to be there in 20, 30, 50 years. Immediate comfort and security in a single person, something that went beyond a potential friend or boyfriend.

And that is darn frightening when you are 16.

Wow, that is an amazing story.  

We were in kindergarten together. He kind of remembers me, but I don’t remember him.

Junior in high school we had a class together. I was immediately drawn to him, but he doesn’t remember me.

Our senior year, he walked up to my table of friends and said hi all of us. He knew some of us, but not all.

Yeah it was all over but the wedding.

We’ve been married 42 years

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 1

We were in our mid 40s......so everything is different by then.  But the same.  We married 11 weeks after our first meeting.  I would not say it was love at first sight....but definite 'continued interest' at first sight.  But obviously we decided we were right for each other very quickly.

Yes, I do remember. I was 16 and babysitting for my neighbors. DH was 18, a long time family friend of theirs, and a part-time employee for their business. DH had to come to the house to pick up keys for one of the work trucks. He drove a baja bug, had long hair,and wore jeans and a cut off Guns-N-Roses t-shirt. I was frightened by his bad boy image and wanted nothing to do with him. I handed him the keys and quickly shut the door.

We began dating a year later when I was 17 and married when I was 20.

Edited: We've been married 27 years.

We sold the baja bug when we decided to have children. We now wish we had kept it because that car was bad a$$.

Edited by The Accidental Coach
  • Like 1

Definitely. I was 16 and working at Denny's. He came in for an interview and ended up being hired. I remember thinking he was attractive and wondering who he was. Once I got to know him better I had a huge crush on him, but he was 7 years older than I was and wasn't interested. We did hang out a bit, but there was absolutely no romance. We both stopped working there some time later and we lost touch until I was 18 and phoned him out of the blue.

• Like 1

Not love at first sight, but interest at first sight. We met at a meeting (pub get-together) of an internet social club we belonged to.  When I came in, he was telling a story about some funny camping incident. So it was obvious he was fun, and we had at least one common interest.  Over time, we talked more and started getting more interested. Then I found out that I am 8 years older than he is, and just about called it all off. But we are well-suited to each other and we kept going forward.  

We both think we first talked to each other in the foreign language section at the university bookstore, looking over Arabic dictionaries. There weren’t many people studying Arabic in the 90s so it’s not likely we each had a similar conversation with someone else. But we didn’t really meet to remember each other until a few months later when we had our first Arabic class together. Definitely not love at first sight, or even remembering each other from a first conversation.

I was with a friend and bought a ventriloquist’s dummy doll at Toys R Us when I was 16. The cashier was cute and making jokes about how creepy the doll was and I thought to myself, “If I was older, I’d say something like, ‘let’s go out for drinks when you get off work’,†but I was only 16 and not suave enough to actually do that. I thought about that cashier from time to time over the next two years and I would mention him to my friend.

Two years later, that same friend went to work at Toys R Us. She would talk about her coworker, “the lovely Bryan.†I was visiting her house one day when he called and we talked on the phone for a few minutes about his motorcycle and he said, “I can give you a ride.â€

So, I went to Toys R Us where he worked to meet him after work one day for a ride on his motorcycle. The moment I saw him, I felt like I’d known him forever. He said, “Hi, I’m Bryan,†and held out a hand to shake it and I almost said, “Stop kidding around!†Because it felt like if someone you know very well suddenly introduced themselves to you. Like if your kid came up to you and said, “Hi, I’m kid.†And then I realized, “Oh, wait. I don’t know this guy. I just saw him for the first time today.†But like a previous poster said, I was immediately comfortable around him and felt like we’d been friends for years.

It wasn’t until we’d dated for a couple of months that my friend said, “You do know that’s the guy who sold us that dummy two years ago.†I hadn’t realized. But she was right—it was him.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Yes, I do. We were at a singles group thing at church. He walked in the door and I thought he was cute. My friend introduced him to me and said his name was “Daveâ€. His name is not Dave, as he was quick to correct her. Although he had let her believe his name was Dave since they were introduced.😜

Edited by KrissiK

It was totally not love at first sight.

My college roommate and I were from the same general area, and she went home most weekends to keep her private music students. One weekend I decided to go home and caught a ride, since I didn’t have a car. My mom was going to pick me up at the roommate’s parents house. So we get there and my mom is delayed. I don’t know her family at all and I was shy, and roommate had to leave to go teach. Then her parents had to leave but told me just to hang out and make myself at home. So I sat all alone really awkwardly in her living room. Her brother came in carrying textbooks from his community college class. He didn’t even say hi to me, just dumped the textbooks next to me on the couch and went out to the kitchen and got himself a drink. Came back out, sat on the couch next to me, answered any small talk questions with one word, and watched TV. Never offered me a soda or anything. I thought he was cute, but about the rudest person ever.

Six years later, I was a paramedic student and was doing clinical time on the ambulance he now worked at. He was my preceptor’s partner. Then he and I became partners. Then we married.

He still sits on the couch and ignores me.

• Like 5

I didn't want to date DH as he was much too good-looking for my taste; I thought he was a "player" and interested in one thing (he was). So, I wouldn't give him my phone number for three months, and then wouldn't get "serious" for "an eternity" (his words).

We eventually realized that this was true love; 25 years and two children later, we are still very much in love.

The first time I met him I only have a vague memory, as he was in a group of people interviewing me and I was really nervous.  I guess I was about 21.  He remembers me, because they discussed me and all.  Apparently he thought I might not get through the training.

The next time I saw him was my first regular day of work which was about a year later.  I was considering whether there would be any interesting men there, and he was the the first person I saw coming in the door.  I thought "Not my type.  But I'll probably end up married to him."

We didn't start dating till a few years later, I was maybe about 25.

we started talking - and just really hit it off.  a female friend who was with him and his sister that night, "knew" we'd end up getting married.   a few months later, his "on/off" long term gf saw us together, and knew she was out.  we just loved to talk , and would go out of our way to just talk to each other.   we didn't actually go on a "date" (going somewhere together.  it was always a crowd of people and we came and went separately), until three weeks before we were engaged. and that wasn't really a 'date', more of a "I want to __," and he volunteered to take me.  the first *real* date, was two days before we were engaged.

eta: we celebrate our 37th anniversary next month.

Edited by gardenmom5

Nope. First time I saw him was at a Kung Fu demonstration and he was performing. I was quite impressed by his performance and remarked to my best friend that he had a nice butt and was quite attractive. My brother, who was one of his kungfu students, then informed me that he was married. So I quickly forgot about him.

A few years later, my best friend and I started kungfu at the same place my brother was going. He was not my Kung fu instructor but he did teach the acrobatics class I was also in and we never spoke outside of class. About a year into kungfu a bunch of us regularly went out to a restaurant after class once a week, he never went. One day he decided to because his marriage was ending and he realized he had no friends outside of his marriage so he needed to make some.

That was the night I fell for him. We sat across from each other and his attention was entirely on me the whole time. It was the first time we had a conversation that wasn't about kungfu and we had everything in common. It took about another month for us both to admit our feelings because we didn't want to start a relationship with him fresh out of a marriage. We were engaged 6 months later and married 3 months after that. Ten years later and I'm glad we didn't ignore our feelings

dd met her dh while helping a friend move.  they really liked each other, wanted to go out, but neither of them made it happen. (dd was halfway through grad school.).  so- the day they met was the last day they saw each other for two years.

two years later, dsil got a job offer in another state, and thought he "really" needed to go out with dd and looked her back up.   he turned down the job to stay here and date her.   that was late oct/early nov?- she invited him to thanksgiving becasue he was just going to go camping.   this was the girl who never dated a guy more than three times.  if they were "lucky".  many only got one. (supposedly - there were a lot of girls who chased him too.)  they started talking marriage that weekend and got married the following april - a month before she graduated.

then come fall - the employer whose job offer he turned down so he could stay here and see if things would work with her - made another offer.  so he took it and they moved. we all marvel how utterly perfect they are for each other.

Yes. I thought he was cute. When we spoke for a few minutes I thought he was a major dud.

For the whole string of coincidence that led to is meeting:

I won free passes to a club named Malibu. Called up a friend of mine to invite her. She said no as she had a date with her now husband. But I should look for her friend who also won passes that night. Um, okay. This was a huge club with multiple dance floors.

Now I'm at the club with my friends. We are dancing and having fun. When I spy someone I went to college with who I had not seen in a couple of years. We scream, run across the dance floor, hug and all. What was she doing there? Since she lived in the city. She was there with her boyfriend. His friend had free passes that night.

Could it be? I ask some questions (as if I knew any of the answers) and said probably not the same guy. My friend insists we need to go find out. We go over and she says wait-he is talking to his ex. We wait. Finally go over. Turns out it was the guy. But he was giving me very basic answers. So, dud. Started looking for my friends so I can take my leave. Before I got away he said he and another friend were taking our mutual friend for brunch the next day and I should join them. Sure, sure I say and make my escape.

The next morning I'm telling my mom about the evening and she asks if I am going to brunch. My response "I have better things to do then have brunch with x and her friends" My mom asked "what things?" I wet to brunch. He was still a dud. But a little more interesting. They make plans to go to a hockey game. Invite me. My mom says to go. "I have better things to do" "what things?" I go to the hockey game.

It turns out he was battling a case of bronchitis when I first met him. Now it is weeks later. He is all better. He was no longer a dud at the hockey game. He asked me out a week later. We will be celebrating our 26th wedding anniversary this year.

The FIRST time I saw him? I don’t remember it because it didn’t really mean anything to me, but there’s a picture to prove it. He is two grades ahead of me, and when we were in sixth and eighth grades, we both won an award so there’s a newspaper pic of all the winners. He’s standing directly behind me. Later that year I’m sure we were introduced at a party for a club where the outgoing eighth graders were welcoming the rising seventh graders, so I knew who he was, but it didn’t mean anything.

Now, a couple of years later when I hit ninth grade and joined a other club he was in (what can I say — we are both geeks), yes, I can say that it was pretty much love at first sight. He was quiet and far from flirty but polite to all of the new freshmen (which was a welcome change from all of the immature boys in my grade). People would say that teen romances don’t work, and to that I will just say, “Sometimes you just know.â€

Our teenage daughter pretends to be grossed out that her parents actually like each other, but I think she’s secretly glad. Our twentieth wedding anniversary is this summer (and we’ll have been together twenty-seven years this fall), and it still feels like yesterday that we met. ;)

We were in a large passenger van riding to an ice rink for a dorm activity. It wasn’t love at first sight but more of a familiarity at first sight. Sort of I “I know you and you are somehow very important to my life in some way that I don’t know yet.†We were on friendly terms for the next two years but we were not close friends. Anytime we saw each other it was because we were at the same place with out mutual friends.

How we started dating was a bit of a lucky coincidence. I hadn’t seen him in a few months, he was a college dormmate of a close friend of mine. He’d gone home for the summer and decided to transfer to a school closer to home. I definitely didn’t have his phone number or email. I was moving at the end of the summer. This was when moving out of the small bounds of your phone exchange code meant having to get a new number. I left my phone at my old apartment connected and then, when the apartment was nearly empty went back to get the last carton and my old phone. I was literally about to unplug the phone from the wall when he called. If he’d called a minute later, we probably wouldn’t have seen each other again. We started communicating a lot after that call and visited back and forth. We got married 2 years later.

• Like 1

Well, the first time I saw my dh, he was visiting my church and he was with another girl! The next week he came back by himself and after church my sister said "who was that hot guy and why were you not talking to him?!?" I told her he had been there with another girl the week before. But I definitely noticed him!! He also noticed me. Turns out, the girl was a friend from far away who was traveling in the area, so she stayed with him. They never dated- though I'm sure she liked him.

Definitely not love at first sight on my end.

I don't remember the first time I saw him, but I was in my first year of college and he was a junior. He used to come into the room of a friend of mine spewing swear words & slamming the door (which was usually already open, but he'd make it knock against the door stop & slam). He would (un)politely ask (demand) to borrow (use) the friend's computer for an electrical engineering problem. I was very intimidated (scared) by him and would usually leave when he showed up. One time, I distinctly remember him pointing his finger at me and saying, "I hate freshman!"

I don't remember this, but at least once, I told him "nice shirt" in the cafeteria. My college roommate tells me that I did this because we (meaning she) noticed he'd been wearing the same flannel shirt three days in a row. (I don't notice things, so no way would I have picked up on this. She probably saw it but was too shy to make a sarcastic comment.)

Fast forward to when I had to take an electrical engineering class for non-electrical engineering majors. I could NOT understand the basic concept of just about anything (nodes, anyone?). Both of my EE friends (original one up top & another that I'd gone to high school with who was a couple grades ahead of me) were on co-op that semester. I tried calling one long-distance (remember that?) a few times, but I didn't have the money to keep that up, though. So, I had two options for in-person tutoring: a polite, fellow member of the residence hall government or that scary guy who hated freshman. I chose the scary guy. (I think I didn't want to look stupid in front of the guy I had to interact with all the time.)

A few months later, he told me I was his girlfriend when he walked me to the stairwell of his dorm floor. I ran! But I still needed EE help.

We've been married over 20 years and he's the sweetest, most romantic, helpful & loveable :001_tt1: guy in the world. World's best husband. (But, most of my friends are scared of him!  :laugh: ) And the type of guy who keeps his looks, so he's still hot.  :drool5:  (Thank goodness most of our kids look like him!)

DH had friends in one of the fraternities on campus so he went to hang out with them at the party they held during freshman orientation week. A bunch of girls from my freshman dorm and I tried to go to a different fraternity party but they wouldn't let me in the door because they were convinced I was actually in high school (I was almost 19 but looked young). So we ended up going to the party where DH was.

As soon as we walked inside, this obnoxious guy who DH was friends with at the time cornered me pretty aggressively. DH came to my rescue by asking me to dance. I was so relieved that I would've said yes and danced with ANYBODY just to get away from that guy cornering me. But then I realized DH was pretty cute and so I stayed with him at the party instead of trying to find the girls from my dorm. DH ended up asking me out for the following evening. We've been together ever since. I liked him a lot but I wouldn't say that I fell in love with him right away.

Yes, I remember.  It was actually a set up from our roommates.  I wouldn't quite say it was love at first sight but it was very keen interest and a feeling that this one was different.  We didn't actually  go out that night because the other couple started fighting.  We went out a couple of weeks later and we've been inseparable ever since.

It was totally not love at first sight.

My college roommate and I were from the same general area, and she went home most weekends to keep her private music students. One weekend I decided to go home and caught a ride, since I didn’t have a car. My mom was going to pick me up at the roommate’s parents house. So we get there and my mom is delayed. I don’t know her family at all and I was shy, and roommate had to leave to go teach. Then her parents had to leave but told me just to hang out and make myself at home. So I sat all alone really awkwardly in her living room. Her brother came in carrying textbooks from his community college class. He didn’t even say hi to me, just dumped the textbooks next to me on the couch and went out to the kitchen and got himself a drink. Came back out, sat on the couch next to me, answered any small talk questions with one word, and watched TV. Never offered me a soda or anything. I thought he was cute, but about the rudest person ever.

Six years later, I was a paramedic student and was doing clinical time on the ambulance he now worked at. He was my preceptor’s partner. Then he and I became partners. Then we married.

He still sits on the couch and ignores me.

This gives me hope for DS! He’s horribly shy at times and I can totally see him doing the same thing your DH did. He just would not know how to talk to a girl sitting on the couch. At all.

I’ve wondered how in the world he’ll find someone to marry if he never speaks to a female.

I vaguely remember the first time I saw him. He was one of the "kids" in a game we both played and I was a little annoyed because we already had so many players it was starting to feel crowded.  It was definitely NOT love at first sight.

But... Fast forward about four months, then I needed someone to go see "Jonah" with and so did he. we ended up seeing the movie together and THEN it was love at first sight.  By the next morning (Church), I couldn't wait to tell my best friend that I'd met the man I was going to marry.

My husband says it was love at first sight for. He was in the break room when I came through with a group for orientation. He knew immediately he wanted to ask me out on a date so he found a way to introduce himself. After talking to me he went back to his best friend who worked in another department and told him he just met the girl he's going to marry.  :001_wub:

As for me, the idea of love at first sight kind of freaks me out. I had sworn off dating but after getting to know him better I could tell he was a really good guy and so he got a date and the rest is history. 

Our situation was similar.  We met in college when I was a freshman and he was a senior - we were both taking a gen ed class.  I didn't know he was alive but he said he noticed me the first day of class and spent the rest of the semester trying to get my attention.  I had sworn off dating and just didn't notice him.  He tricked me into going out on our first date when the semester was almost over and that's when I fell head over heels with him.  We've been married almost 31 years.  

I was at a cafe with friends. Dh was in town to see a friend of a friend who was there. Dh made the following hilarious joke after someone mixed up Alan Ginsberg and Allan Greenspan. "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by irrational exuberance." I snorted. Dh got wide eyed. "You got that?!" Afterwards we were walking back to the bus and dh got snow all in his extremely froufy hair and it looked very silly.

Definitely not love at first sight. I was dating someone else anyway. But we started emailing. Six months later, I'd broken up with my boyfriend, he'd dropped out of Harvard, and dh and I impulsively decided to move in together after I graduated that spring.

• Like 1

It was love at first sight for me, not my DH. 

We met online. I'd previously never seen him on the dating sight before because he was younger than I'd set my parameters. But on a whim one night I lowered the age range a bit to see who was online and available to chat. He popped up at INSTANTLY - as soon as I saw his photo- I thought "Now there's someone I could grow old with."  Then realized how dumb that was. But couldn't shake it. 

We chatted and within an hour I told my best friend, who was there with me, "I'm either going to marry this guy or he's going to break my heart."

He did both, lol. We broke up once because he thought he wasn't good enough for me. Stupid man :) Broke my heart. But we got back together again, got married, had 3 kids together plus the one I already had, and are incredibly happy together. And I knew it right from the start. But it runs in the family, my parents got married 3 weeks after they met and are still married :)\\

Edited to add: At our first meeting I saw him walking up through the window and my heart beat went through the roof. He was so handsome :)  And then I was SO nervous my hands were shaking when I poured us a soda. 

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 2

I met DH online. It wasn’t love at first sight, but I had a pretty good feeling about him as soon as I was crossing the street to meet him and I saw him waiting for me outside the restaurant. He looked like a good guy. It was a done deal when he put his arm around me after dinner on our second date. We were walking back to his car and I knew I would marry him.

(This is less crazy when you are 31 and he is 44 and you know you are both looking for a serious relationship.)

Edited by Lawyer&Mom

We were interested from the start, which we met as we were eating at the cafeteria in our college (we had assigned house tables and we lived in the same house, but as he was a freshman and I was a sophomore, I hadn't known who was living in our house). Our college started near the end of September and I count our first date as the Halloween dance in our dorm. After that, we were openly going out together. Near the end of that quarter, a good friend of mine said that she saw us being together when we are 90. Unfortunately, we are still together in our mid 50's but my friend died in surgery this Spring. She was right, though, that we would get married and have the marriage last.

• Like 1

I know when I met him, but I don't remember meeting him specifically. It was my first week of college (he was two years ahead of me), and I was meeting a LOT of new people!

He, on the other hand, remembers meeting me, and was interested in getting to know me better from that first meeting. But we didn't start dating until several months later.

This is EXACTLY our story but it was several years later.

Dh teased me about my sneakers when we were in kindergarten, so it definitely wasn't love at first sight. :lol:  We didn't see each other for about 10 years after that. We were teens in high school when we next ran into each other, dated for a while and broke up. After the break up I told my friend that we would be married some day. When we got back together in our twenties we knew right away that it was for life. :001_tt1:

• Like 1