Menu

US History

I am in the beginning planning stages of this. What did you use? My son loves history but I do not think we will do extras like the AP test or SAT subject. 

I am interested in anything you found helpful.

Thanks!

We're planning on the Great Courses History of the United States and K12's American Odyssey text for input and selected chapters of Critical Thinking in US History for output for my 11th grade DS and 9th grade DD next year. Currently my 12th grade DS is using American Odyssey and CT in USH and he likes it. History has always been a "git 'er done" subject for him. The other 2 are more into it so I added the Great Courses videos for them.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I've used several things. Last year my son used The American Pageant and I got the Guidebooks that went with it. I used the reviews as quizzes and assigned some of the essay topics. He did not work towards the AP exam but if he had there is a lot of online help for this text for APUSH. I added the Opposing Viewpoints books and a book of documents - Keys to American History. I made up my own Lit and the year went very well. He specifically requested no videos and no online class.

With my oldest 2 I used The History of the American People (Johnson) and Notgrass plus The Great Courses History of the US dvd lectures. And I used a combination of Lightning Lit and my own ideas for books LL didn't cover.

My 3rd daughter used the American School that year, which used an Amsco book. It was actually quite good!

All four approaches worked well! I think US History is hard to screw up, so long as you use materials that are challenging and interesting.

We used the US History plans by Funda Funda. We did do the AP exam but you don't have to. It was a fantastic year of American history and we learned so much. Definitely planning on using it again in the future for younger dd. The syllabus is free on their website.

• Like 1