Menu

What is for dinner this week?

Scarlett

I plan from Thurs- Wed b/c I shop on Wed or Thurs this week has been:

Thurs- Chicken Chili (aka use up leftover chicken and about to go bad cilantro and spinach) Food Network Neely's recipe in instant pot, amazing

Fri- Refried Beans Tostados

Sat- (solo night at home for me) Steak and baked sweet potato

Sun- Ribs w/ corn on cob + soup w/ dh's family

Mon- Spaghetti + meatballs (girls cooking- I just eat mine w/ veggies instead of noodles)

Tues- Chix tacos

Wed- Beef stew (ds cooking)

• Like 1

In no particular order for the next seven or eight days

Lad na (Thai noodles)

Homemade pizza

Laghman (Central Asian pulled noodles)

Potato noodles with tomato sauce

Lo mai gai (steamed rice and chicken wrapped in banana leaves)

Zucchini noodles with tofu and gochugang

Fish with spicy greens

Flatbread with paneer curry

Spätzle (German dumpling/noodles)

Clearly I want noodles this week. I hadn’t realized that I planned for them so often. :)

• Like 4

This week's a bit different than our normal planned menu.  I wrote down every meal we have the stuff on hand for, and we'll choose whatever sounds good or works with the day's plans.  We have a really busy week and one kid has the flu, so things are a bit bonkers.  I don't want to go to the store unless I have to, or the coffee runs out.

Tonight is Red Beans and Rice and leftover veggies (I have roasted brussel sprouts, sliced cucumbers, and carrot sticks in the fridge).

After tonight, this is what I have the ingredients to cook:

Baked Ziti with Beef and Green Beans (probably tomorrow)

Frozen Pizza or Taquitos or Chicken Nuggets and Tater Tots (for Friday junk food night)

Pork Roast

Beef Stew

BBQ Chicken Drumsticks

Lentil Shepherd's Pie

Fried Rice or Pad Thai

Chicken Noodle Soup

Baked Potato Soup (or just Baked Potatoes)

French Onion Soup

Hamburgers

Chicken and Rice Risotto

Honey Baked Lentils and Rice

Pancakes/Eggs/Bacon/Fruit

Hot Dogs/Sandwiches/Plain Spaghetti (for the haters)

We probably need milk and produce mid-week, but I bought too much last week and we're still working on it.

We still have a shelf of leftovers, too: one container of beef roast with mashed potatoes, one grilled hamburger, six mini-quiches, and half of a chicken pot pie.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 1

Monday: Lemony Cheese Tortelloni with pancetta, peas, and zucchini (Hello Fresh)

Tuesday: take-out Chinese food or leftovers

Wednesday: Swedish meatloaves with mashed potatoes, roasted carrots and current jam (Hello Fresh)

Thursday: Chicken cheddar fajitas 

Friday: take-out sub sandwiches or leftovers

Saturday: One-pan hearty pork chili with kidney beans and poblano peppers (Hello Fresh)

Sunday: Pork chops, scalloped potatoes, corn, rolls

• Like 1

Chicken chili

Garlic-parmesan breaded pork chops

Corned beef and sides (at church)

Corn chowder

That's all I've got so far. Need one more to get us through next weekend. One night will be leftovers.

Next Sunday is my birthday, so we will eat out for lunch and just snack for dinner.

I'm feeling done with winter food and ready for more salad and some grilled meat.

Edited by ScoutTN

Do you have a recipe for this? We make a vegetarian shepherd's pie that's eggplant-based that we love, but lentils sound interesting too.

Yes I would like the recipe for lentil shepards pie. I make a lentil/broccoli quiche that is pretty good.

ACK, accidentally deleted my reply.  Attempt #2:

I had this at a vegan restaurant a couple years ago and it was so good I decided to put it in the rotation at home.  I don't have the source written on my recipe, so this may be exactly as written elsewhere or tweaked for preferences.  ETA: I remember now.  It's adapted from the "Mashed Potato Pie" recipe from the DK Children's Cookbook, which apparently grew legs and walked away from my bookshelves.

-----------

1/2 c. dry lentils

2 c. vegetable broth, divided

1 tsp. minced garlic

1 diced onion

1/2 c. shredded carrots

1 T. olive oil

3/4 tsp. salt (more or less, depends on your broth)

1 tsp. dried thyme

1/2 tsp. smoked paprika

pepper to taste

1 T. ketchup (or tomato sauce + vinegar?  I just use ketchup)

1 T. flour

4 c. mashed potatoes

1 1/2 c. chopped fresh or frozen veggies (probably thawed, I usually use whatever leftover steamed/roasted veggies we have - broccoli, cauliflower, squash, etc.)

Shredded Parmesan cheese (optional for non-vegans)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Cook the lentils in 1 c. broth.  In a skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and carrots in the olive oil.  Add salt, thyme, smoked paprika, and pepper.  Stir until fragrant.  Add ketchup and flour.  Pour remaining 1 c. broth over the top and bring to a simmer.  Add the lentils and vegetables and heat through.  Pour the mixture into a greased casserole dish or large pie plate.  Spread the mashed potatoes on top (if using leftovers, warmed up and thinned with milk/broth/water to make spreading easier).  If desired, sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese over the potatoes.  Bake for 15 minutes until heated through, then broil for a few minutes if desired to brown the potato topping.

-------

The lentil/broccoli quiche sounds good, if you are willing to share that recipe too!  I usually stock up on lentils when Aldi marks them down to make room for new items.  For $0.49/lb, I'll be swimming in lentils for a while.

Edited by BarbecueMom
  • Like 2

Monday - beef stroganoff made with leftover roast from the weekend

Tuesday - Tacos, slow cooker refried beans

Wednesday - Homemade pizza, pie for dessert

Thursday - quiche

Friday - frozen pizza for kids, date night dinner out for DH and I unless I am not feeling up to it then he will bring home take out

Saturday - corned beef, cabbage, mashed potatoes (or maybe colcannon instead), soda bread

Sunday - roast chicken, rice, some sort of veggie

• Like 1

Meat loving college boy is home for spring break, and I will cook the foods he likes:

chicken thighs in balsamico/soy glaze

Thai red curry  with chicken

salmon in white wine cream sauce with pasta

Indian lamb curry

London broil

chilli or lasagne

next week it's back to my vegetarian favorites.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Mon leftovers, fend for yourself day!

Tuesday Vegan chili & Cornbread

Wed Roasted potatoes and vegetables

Thur Fried rice and vegetables

Fri Eat at mother in laws

Sat shrimp, rice, and vegetables

Sunday- I haven't decided yet- but maybe Lentil Shephards pie now!

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

M: Slow cooker Pulled pork bbq sandwiches, sweet potato wedges and Cole slaw

T: Pulled pork enchiladas and salad (leftover pork)

W: Basil Tilapia, Roasted Cauliflower, Green Beans

T: Chicken Tikka Masala, Rice and Broccoli; salad

F: Freezer Fast food (tacos, taquitos, stir fry- all Costco)

I work Tuesday and Friday evenings (till 8) so by the time I get to Friday I’ve usually given up cooking dinner ahead and DH gets some sort of fast food or freezer food.

• Like 1

Monday- zuppa toscana (essentially a soup with potatoes, sausage and kale) + leftover roasted broccoli and rolls

Tuesday- Chicken tacos with the usual suspects for taco night.

Wednesday- Thai street noodles

Thursday- Aloo gobi + a curry

Friday- Pizza and salad night. Like always.

Saturday- we are having dinner with friends. We will bring something to their house but I don’t know yet what they are planning to cook.

Sunday- Salmon with mango mint salsa, green beans and some type of starch.

• Like 1

No one here but me likes corned beef so I’ll probably just make sausages and colcannon for St Patrick’s Day. And the very American but required Irish Chip cheesecake.

Tonight: beef pot pie

Tuesday: something else with my giant leftover pot roast

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday: St Patrick’s Day

Yeah, yeah, my list needs some work. [emoji38]

Edited by SamanthaCarter
  • Like 2

-------

The lentil/broccoli quiche sounds good, if you are willing to share that recipe too!  I usually stock up on lentils when Aldi marks them down to make room for new items.  For $0.49/lb, I'll be swimming in lentils for a while.

Here ya go

Lentil Quiche

1 C. chopped onion (plus)

2 TBLE olive oil

½ C. dried lentils (3/4 c)

2 C. water (3 c)

2 C. broccoli florets (4 c)

1 C. chopped fresh tom  (none)

4 eggs, beaten (6)

1 C. milk (1 ½ c)

Ground pepper to taste

2 tsp Italian seasoning (3)

½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (1 c.)

I adjust the above recipe to the amount in the parenthesis and use a larger pan

Oven 375

Place onions and oil in a 9 inch deep -dish pie plate (I use a 9 X 13 deep dish stone)

Bake for 15 min

Lentils in water in a saucepan, bring to a boil. Cook for about 20 min.  Add broccoli, cover and cook for about 5 min.

Transfer lentils, broccoli, tomatoes and cheese to pan of onions and stir.  In bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper and Italian seasoning.  Pour over the ingredients in pie plate.

Bake for 45 min or until the center is firm.  Cool before slicing.  (Since I use a bigger pan, and/or maybe because it is a stone 30-35 is always enough time, even with the added ingredients)

Feeds 4-6 large servings.

No one here but me likes corned beef so I’ll probably just make sausages and colcannon for St Patrick’s Day. And the very American but required Irish Chip cheesecake.

You could make Irish stew. Use lamb if you want it more authentic, beef if you want to Americanize it (I don't like lamb so when I make it it's with beef). 

• Like 1

I know tonight is cheese ravioli, caesar salad, and garlic toasts. Then dh is not home several nights so it's likely to be pretty casual. Pizza Wednesday for pi day. Grocery shopping Wednesday so a list with a week of meals will be made up before then. I still have to figure out something for tomorrow night.

• Like 1

Tonight: beef pot pie

Tuesday: something else with my giant leftover pot roast

Wednesday:

Thursday:

Friday:

Saturday: St Patrick’s Day

Yeah, yeah, my list needs some work. [emoji38]

Haha!  This is usually what my plans look like.  

• Like 2

Gosh, no idea. Let's see....

Today: No clue

Tomorrow: Eating out, but cheaply because it's right before the end of the pay period

Wednesday: Um... black eyed peas and kale and cornbread?

Thursday: Fried fish and corn on the cob with peas?
Friday: Chickpeas and spinach?

Idk, nothing sounds good either.

• Like 1

It’s that time of year when seasons haven’t quite changed yet and nothing sounds good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just thinking the same thing! We have highs in the 70s and lows in the 20s. I’m seasonally confused!!

Edited by LarlaB
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.  I went and bought groceries...for this memory

Tonight--White Chili

Tuesday crockpot Jambalaya

Wed Stroganoff

Thursday Salmon

I am surprised so many of you have so many meatless meals......interesting. I usually end up with at least a couple of meatless meals a month, but that is all I can manage

• Like 1

No idea. I don't know how many days my brother will be home for dinner. When he is, I sometimes exert myself. :p

I do plan to try making some wheat-teff rolls again. I wish I could find someone with the same book to compare notes with, because I'm almost certain the authors didn't try the recipes they published. Or maybe I'm just rubbish at baking.  :laugh:

We just got home from vacation, so it's a short week for us. 

Tonight we brought home 5 kinds of Tijuana-style street tacos 

Tortellini in tomato cream sauce

Linguine with mussels

Lentil shepherds pie ( I see someone else is making this too. Mine is much more plain)

spaghetti with sausage and tomato

• Like 2

We've enjoyed homemade chili for the last 2 nights. 

Monday - soup

Tuesday - honey walnut shrimp/homemade (we like this.  it's homemade and excellent)

Wednesday - chicken casserole (rice, broccoli, mushrooms, cheese and crumbled ritz cracker topping

Thursday - ground beef casserole

That's all so far!

• Like 1

I had sofritos burritos tonight, husband ordered pizza, I don't know what my kids ate.

More burritos tomorrow night. I pulled a batch of pork green chile from my freezer, and we'll have scrambled egg and cheese burritos, smothered in green chile.

FISH STICK tacos! Regular fish sticks baked until crispy, chopped up on little corn tortillas with shredded cabbage and a sriracha/lime aoili. A favorite of mine!

I don't know yet for the last two nights.

Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, horseradish sauce on St. Patrick's Day.

• Like 1

I had sofritos burritos tonight, husband ordered pizza, I don't know what my kids ate.

More burritos tomorrow night. I pulled a batch of pork green chile from my freezer, and we'll have scrambled egg and cheese burritos, smothered in green chile.

FISH STICK tacos! Regular fish sticks baked until crispy, chopped up on little corn tortillas with shredded cabbage and a sriracha/lime aoili. A favorite of mine!

I don't know yet for the last two nights.

Corned beef, potatoes, carrots, horseradish sauce on St. Patrick's Day.

This sounds yummy and easy!!

• Like 1

I used to make this, but I had sort of forgotten about it. It is really good and super easy. Maybe I'll add that to our menu for the week, which I still have yet to figure out.

Another easy fish tacos recipe but for summer only because you need fresh peaches for the peach salsa--

https://pinchofyum.com/easy-chili-lime-fish-tacos

• Like 1

Wednesday - Fish, brown rice, green beans

Thursday - Spaghetti, salad

Friday - Pizza, vegetable tray, cake, cupcakes, cheese puffs, honeycomb cereal (This is for my youngest child's Winnie-the-Pooh-themed birthday party.)

Saturday - Meatballs (slow cooker), cheese & crackers, olives, and pickles

Sunday - Omelets, whole wheat toast

Monday - Tacos, Spanish rice

This sounds yummy and easy!!

I used to make this, but I had sort of forgotten about it. It is really good and super easy. Maybe I'll add that to our menu for the week, which I still have yet to figure out.

Another easy fish tacos recipe but for summer only because you need fresh peaches for the peach salsa--

https://pinchofyum.com/easy-chili-lime-fish-tacos

Re the Fish Stick Tacos:

It cracked me up that they got comments!

One of my favorite foods are tacos. The key, for me, is to get the big bags of small white or yellow corn tacos, and then briefly heat them up on the stove until they start to get brown dots. It brings out the flavor of the tortilla and adds immensely to the overall taco taste.

My other favorite tacos are any kind of meat, well browned--chorizo, cubes of beef or chicken; I've even taken leftover bbq pork and cooked it in a pan to dry it out and make it a little brown/crispy. Place on on the browned tortillas, top with finely chopped raw onion, cilantro, salsa, and a few slices of avocado. I just copied the style from my favorite Mexican restaurant. They are amazing.

• Like 1

Re the Fish Stick Tacos:

It cracked me up that they got comments!

One of my favorite foods are tacos. The key, for me, is to get the big bags of small white or yellow corn tacos, and then briefly heat them up on the stove until they start to get brown dots. It brings out the flavor of the tortilla and adds immensely to the overall taco taste.

My other favorite tacos are any kind of meat, well browned--chorizo, cubes of beef or chicken; I've even taken leftover bbq pork and cooked it in a pan to dry it out and make it a little brown/crispy. Place on on the browned tortillas, top with finely chopped raw onion, cilantro, salsa, and a few slices of avocado. I just copied the style from my favorite Mexican restaurant. They are amazing.

More comments for you! :)

Would you believe I was inspired by your post for our dinner last night? I stopped at the store to pick something up quick for dinner, and all I could think of was fish tacos. IT WAS SO GOOD! And the best part it, from the moment I walked into the house to the first tacos on the table was 15 minutes. You can't beat that! I do the same thing you do with the tortillas. For the cabbage, I bought a bag of premade coleslaw (I was going for fast and I was walking home, so I didn't want to carry a heavy cabbage). For the sauce, I mixed some mayo with the juice of half a lime and some sriracha. I popped the fish sticks in the oven as soon as I got home and started toasting tortillas on the stove. Dumped the cabbage in a bowl and mixed up the sauce while that was going.

ETA: We also put some feta on top, which I had on hand. It made a nice complement to the cabbage and fish.

I don't know if I was super hungry or what, but it tasted so amazingly good. I am definitely going to remember that for the future.

The only thing I don't like about tacos is that it does take awhile to toast the tortillas. I usually keep toasting them at the stove until everyone else is done eating, then make a couple for myself and sit down to eat. But even doing that, it's still a very fast meal.

Thanks again for mentioning it.

Edited by Cosmos
  • Like 2

Would you believe I was inspired by your post for our dinner last night? I stopped at the store to pick something up quick for dinner, and all I could think of was fish tacos. IT WAS SO GOOD! And the best part it, from the moment I walked into the house to the first tacos on the table was 15 minutes. You can't beat that! I do the same thing you do with the tortillas. For the cabbage, I bought a bag of premade coleslaw (I was going for fast and I was walking home, so I didn't want to carry a heavy cabbage). For the sauce, I mixed some mayo with the juice of half a lime and some sriracha. I popped the fish sticks in the oven as soon as I got home and started toasting tortillas on the stove. Dumped the cabbage in a bowl and mixed up the sauce while that was going.

ETA: We also put some feta on top, which I had on hand. It made a nice complement to the cabbage and fish.

I don't know if I was super hungry or what, but it tasted so amazingly good. I am definitely going to remember that for the future.

The only thing I don't like about tacos is that it does take awhile to toast the tortillas. I usually keep toasting them at the stove until everyone else is done eating, then make a couple for myself and sit down to eat. But even doing that, it's still a very fast meal.

Thanks for this.  I am definitely trying this.

My mom makes delicious meat tacos.  With corn in them.  When we were growing up she would make them for company and stand at the stove and keep warming the corn tortillas in oil while everyone else ate.  I prefer to make up a dozen or so ( I have 3 men in my house) and keep them warm in the oven.  I put them on a paper towel to absorb excess oil....this way we can all eat together.  I think my mom is offended that I don't stand and cook while everyone else eats though.  ;)

• Like 1

My mom makes delicious meat tacos.  With corn in them.  When we were growing up she would make them for company and stand at the stove and keep warming the corn tortillas in oil while everyone else ate.  I prefer to make up a dozen or so ( I have 3 men in my house) and keep them warm in the oven.  I put them on a paper towel to absorb excess oil....this way we can all eat together.  I think my mom is offended that I don't stand and cook while everyone else eats though.  ;)

Yeah, I've tried doing that. But then everyone is trying to make the tacos at the table, and it seems chaotic. How much meat should I put on? Wait, can you pass me the sauce now? For me, it seems easier to just make one taco at a time at the counter, put on the toppings myself, and send it to the table. Possibly I have some control issues. :lol:

We go back and forth between dry-toasting the tortillas and frying them in oil. For beef tacos I like frying them in oil. Indulgent but so yummy!

• Like 1

Yeah, I've tried doing that. But then everyone is trying to make the tacos at the table, and it seems chaotic. How much meat should I put on? Wait, can you pass me the sauce now? For me, it seems easier to just make one taco at a time at the counter, put on the toppings myself, and send it to the table. Possibly I have some control issues. :lol:

We go back and forth between dry-toasting the tortillas and frying them in oil. For beef tacos I like frying them in oil. Indulgent but so yummy!

Lol....Well, I have young adults and a husband so they can figure out what they want on their taco.....but mom did used to put the meat in each tortilla before serving them....maybe it was a rations thing who knows.  

• Like 1

Would you believe I was inspired by your post for our dinner last night? I

. . .

I am DYING over the fish stick tacos being such a hit! But I do love them too. :)  It was a desperation dinner one night, and my son jazzed it up with his sauce.  :lol:

Scarlett, I cook mine dry on the stove, but I also but them in the oven to keep them warm.