Menu

Oops, we didn't cover box plots

And it was on the SAT and DD had no idea what the drawing was and couldn’t answer 3 questions related to it.

I looked through AoPS Pre-A through Int. Algebra and couldn’t find it. Now that we know what it is by googling it, it probably won't appear again on future SATs, lol. In fact, I'm pretty sure I didn't see box plot in sample SATs #1-4. We didn’t have time to look at #5-8.

So, where does it appear in AoPS or and is this an elementary statistics topic that I inadvertently skipped while I was skipping around in SM, MM, and BA?

• Like 1

Box and Whiskers?  If so, I've seen that come up a few times I think in pre-algebra and maybe earlier, but not sure in what programs.

SAT often includes new questions that they are trying out for future exams and that do not end up counting.  If it wasn't on any practice exams it may be one of these types.

• Like 2

It is one of the more recent additions to the SAT - probability & statistics. Sometimes in Alg 1 or Alg 2. Should be covered on Khan Academy SAT practice.

They often have a statistics or probability question or two. Mean, mode, standard deviation, etc.

• Like 6

There are no box-and-whiskers plot questions on any of the current 1-8 practice tests published by the College Board.

Thanks because I was going to check them once I had the chance.

Anyway this confirms all my suspicions that I've pushed aside, we're not very good at statistics. We had it in pre-a and that may have been it. I thought we could get away with basic statistics. In fact we just learned radians this week from a test prep book and sure enough it showed up.

• Like 1

This came up for my friend in the latest version of IOWA. Her 8th grader and 5th grader both had box and whisker plot questions on their test.  I looked and my curriculum doesn't cover it until 7th grade.  Her daughter had not covered it at all, but I don't recall what math they are using. 

• Like 2

It's one of those things that takes a day to cover at most. It's just terminology and how to apply mean, median, mode and range to a cutesy graph.

I often feel that things like this are in order to make sure you have a new textbook more than to test your actual understanding. In other words, to reinforce sales of their own books.

• Like 7

Box plots are dumb and I think way too much time is spent on them in elementary and middle school texts these days.

Consequently, my kids didn’t do so well on their standardized tests. They also hadn’t memorized what the names for all the properties were (associative, distributive, identity, etc) because I didn’t bother stressing the names as long as they could use them, and they totally failed the function section because while they could do functions I’d never actually used the word and they didn’t know what was meant by “do the function for 5.â€

Sorry your kids had a hard time. Unfortunately, it’s a downside to homeschool but a rather minor one I think. I still think it’s not worth my breath to drill boxplots. My DD was expected to know it in 3rd grade!

Edited by Paige

Yep it was on a third grade test, too. It must be one of the common core standards. I had never heard of it before.

An older student might sometimes be able to ntuit what was happening, but a younger would probably need to be specifically taught the format to get it.

Edited by Penelope
  • Like 1

It’s in California 5th grade standards apparently. AoPS doesn’t cover it. SM standards edition which follows the 1997 California standards might have. My kids learned it in public charter school as it was in their common core math textbooks California edition.

Links

https://www.madera.k12.ca.us/cms/lib/CA01001210/Centricity/Domain/22/7thSDAP1_1boxandwhisker.ppt

http://www.cnusd.k12.ca.us/cms/lib/CA01001152/Centricity/Domain/3582/11.3%20Box%20and%20Whisker%20Plots.ppt

• Like 1