Menu

Taking an AP class or test on your own

whitestavern

Can someone provide some info regarding APs? I know some kids self study for AP exams. Dumb question, but does that mean they don't take a class? DS's school will not allow kids to take AP classes unless they took an honors class prior. So even though DS  has an almost perfect grade in an advanced level chem class, they won't approve him for the AP class. They SHOULD have moved him to Honors chem after 1stor 2nd quarter, but the honors class was too big :(  As a future engineering major, he really wants to show rigor by taking AP classes. Can he take an online class? Or can he just self study and take the test? Would that be a good way to handle the rigor issue? He's taking Honors Physic and Honors Engineering net year, so this would make for a difficult year academically. If he takes AP Chem on his own or self studies and doesn't do well, colleges would be none the wiser, correct? He just wouldn't submit that information. Any advice/experience with this?

My son's taken 3 AP exams without being enrolled in a class; it can definitely be done. Finding a place that will let him sit for the exam can be a big issue (the college board is not the least bit helpful with this)....presumably his school would at least let him do that, although I'd check and make sure. Have you tried raising a stink at the school about letting him into the class? 

Thanks kokotg. I did raise a stink. I really hate this school and would love to pull him. I'm losing the battle with dh and ds though. They are so difficult to deal with. Sigh. I think they would let him sit for the test though. Or rather I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow it? So what is the best way to prep? Is there an online class, a curriculum to follow? A prep book?

Thanks kokotg. I did raise a stink. I really hate this school and would love to pull him. I'm losing the battle with dh and ds though. They are so difficult to deal with. Sigh. I think they would let him sit for the test though. Or rather I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow it? So what is the best way to prep? Is there an online class, a curriculum to follow? A prep book?

There are several well known prep books. Odds are your public library has some. The course is only updates occasionally so unless it was revised this year, a slightly older prep book should be ok.

This page gives a lot of info about the exam, including free response questions from previous tests.

https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-chemistry/exam

If he is planning to sit for the exam this May, he needs to get registered with the school ASAP. It may already be too late to register for this year.

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

My gut feel is self study for AP Chem would be a lot of work - how motivated is your student?  

Maybe just wait and do the AP Physics after Honors Physics - if that is on the horizon 

He might be better off spending extra time to elevate his SAT or ACT math score.

Can someone provide some info regarding APs? I know some kids self study for AP exams. Dumb question, but does that mean they don't take a class? DS's school will not allow kids to take AP classes unless they took an honors class prior. So even though DS  has an almost perfect grade in an advanced level chem class, they won't approve him for the AP class. They SHOULD have moved him to Honors chem after 1stor 2nd quarter, but the honors class was too big :(  As a future engineering major, he really wants to show rigor by taking AP classes. Can he take an online class? Or can he just self study and take the test? Would that be a good way to handle the rigor issue? He's taking Honors Physic and Honors Engineering net year, so this would make for a difficult year academically. If he takes AP Chem on his own or self studies and doesn't do well, colleges would be none the wiser, correct? He just wouldn't submit that information. Any advice/experience with this?

Have you researched the laws in your state to see if you have the right to enroll your son in your school's AP Chemistry class? The school administration will not inform you of this law if it exists, so you would have to research this on your own. (I once helped a friend of mine in a similar situation when the school denied her son access to an honors level class. She informed the administration of state law, and suddenly, a spot opened up for her son in the honors class. He went on to get the highest grade in the class.)

Have you researched the laws in your state to see if you have the right to enroll your son in your school's AP Chemistry class? The school administration will not inform you of this law if it exists, so you would have to research this on your own. (I once helped a friend of mine in a similar situation when the school denied her son access to an honors level class. She informed the administration of state law, and suddenly, a spot opened up for her son in the honors class. He went on to get the highest grade in the class.)

I never even thought about this. How would I go about researching this? The state Department of Education? I'd really be interested in seeing if this is an option.

Mark: I wouldn't necessarily say he's super self motivated, but he loves chemistry and does well in it. When he's presented with something he enjoys, he goes all out. If he were to self study, and didn't get a great score on the AP exam, we wouldn't have to report that would we?

Heigh Ho: didn't think about the lab aspect. I wonder if there's any way for him to do the labs at school? Maybe work with the teacher and the school? He has a good relationship with the teacher.

Sebastian: thank you for the link.

Lots to think about.

I never even thought about this. How would I go about researching this? The state Department of Education? I'd really be interested in seeing if this is an option.

Mark: I wouldn't necessarily say he's super self motivated, but he loves chemistry and does well in it. When he's presented with something he enjoys, he goes all out. If he were to self study, and didn't get a great score on the AP exam, we wouldn't have to report that would we?

Heigh Ho: didn't think about the lab aspect. I wonder if there's any way for him to do the labs at school? Maybe work with the teacher and the school? He has a good relationship with the teacher.

Sebastian: thank you for the link.

Lots to think about.

Yes, I found the law for our state on the state's department of education site. This was year's ago, so I don't remember all of the specifics. I do know that my friend had to sign a form stating that she was placing her son in the class despite the fact that the school recommended a lower level placement.

If you can't find any info on your state's website, contact someone at the state level who is in charge of your state's gifted program. They should be able to tell you if your state has a law similar to my state.

In my experience, it is not a good idea to inquire within your school district as the information they provide is not based on state law and what is best for the individual student, but what is easiest for the them.

What my ds did (ten years ago now, so may have changed)...

He was half homeschooled/half public schooled in high school.  He took two AP classes at the public school, took one AP class at home.  My dh taught that one.  They researched AP syllabuses for the subject and based their material on that.  Then my ds on his own decided to just study for two more AP exams.  He did that completely on his own, so I'm not sure how he studied.  I remember him bringing books home from the library!  Anyway, he was able to take AP exams on all five of those subjects at the local public school where he was enrolled as a half-time student.  

I wonder if you can find another high school that is more open to homeschoolers taking AP exams at their school?  Can you ask around in the homeschool community in your area?

A fair number of students enrolled in the AP chem class at PAH are enrolled in regular school.  This is also true of classes at Stanford Online High School, both AP and not.  I would not attempt AP chem without the scaffolding that PAH provides.  Even with Mr. Moskaluk's direction, there is a lot of self-study involved, and your student will be better off under his guidance and advice.  

My personal recommendation (knowing nothing about your school or district's policies or state law) is to not bother trying to force your way into AP chem at your local school.  (If they let your son break the rules, well, that well just open the floodgates to every student wanting to take AP chem and we all know what a disaster that would be < tongue in cheek here>.) 

Just take the easy route and enroll at PAH.   

A fair number of students enrolled in the AP chem class at PAH are enrolled in regular school.  This is also true of classes at Stanford Online High School, both AP and not.  I would not attempt AP chem without the scaffolding that PAH provides.  Even with Mr. Moskaluk's direction, there is a lot of self-study involved, and your student will be better off under his guidance and advice.  

My personal recommendation (knowing nothing about your school or district's policies or state law) is to not bother trying to force your way into AP chem at your local school.  (If they let your son break the rules, well, that well just open the floodgates to every student wanting to take AP chem and we all know what a disaster that would be < tongue in cheek here>.) 

Just take the easy route and enroll at PAH.   

What is PAH? Also, I'm not sure if I communicated that ds is no longer homeschooled so I am talking about him taking the class at the school which he attends. (that they are not allowing)

• Like 1