Menu

TPS Summer Writing course review?

Has anyone done Writing for Upper High School and College (Advanced Composition Prep) Summer course for the high schooler? What is the course load? How many essays are included? I'm wondering if this class proves beneficial for more advanced courses writing English 4/5 and beyond? Any experience with Mrs.Nikki Troxell? Experiences and recommendations please!

My dd took this class about 4 years ago. She really liked the class. We really wanted her to be in English 4 that year, and she needed this class to bring her writing to the English 4 level. I actually listened in on the entire class (all summer) as it was our first experience with TPS, and I wanted to see what we were getting into.

She wrote five full essays, one smaller essay, and then had a final presentation. (We still use TPS for other children so I can login and see.). I was really impressed with this class, and my dd's writing definitely improved a ton just in that summer. Prior to this class, dd writing was weak.

This same dd had three more English classes with Mrs. T, and learned a ton! Her writing improved massively and she has been well prepared for college. I just asked her and she said Mrs. T is absolutely one of her favorite teachers ever.

Hope that helps! We are big fans of Mrs. T and TPS, but we prefer a more rigorous style of homeschooling.

We are big fans of Mrs. T and TPS, but we prefer a more rigorous style of homeschooling.

I think I read this wrong the first few times. Upon some more thought, I think you mean that TPS English is very rigorous and thus, it fits your type of homeschooling. If you aren't into rigorous classes, you may not like this class. Is that right?

I originally read the "but" to mean you didn't think TPS was rigorous enough for you guys. This was at odds with everything else you said an out loving the teacher, so I had to reread a few times. I might be the only one who read it wrong, but just in case, I'm posting to clarify. (Sorry for being dense: sleepless nights don't go away just because you don't have newborns anymore.)

That is correct. Sorry to be confusing. I just felt I should mention that as it seems many don’t like TPS English because it is rigorous and can be seen as strict in their writing requirements.

I understand sleepless nights, and no newborn here either. 😩

• Like 1

Is it possible just to take a summer class without intending to enroll further in the fall? Just curious because I need a lighter schedule for fall but don't want to sacrifice writing. I prefer an intense summer writing course and then much lighter fall and spring semester with another class probably with CLRC Brit Lit. Blue Tent is beginning to sound too intense given the other workload we are planning.

• Like 1