Menu

Kindergarten math

• 2 weeks later...

My kindergarten daughter is doing Horizons Math (on weekends and then over the summer). She completed Horizons Math K, Book 1, and we've decided to skip Book 2 and go on to Horizons Math Grade 1, Book 1. She just started it a few weeks ago and so far, so good. I like Horizons for the built-in spiral review and for its bright colors and variety of activities, which my daughter enjoys. I do feel it's a little weak on conceptual math and word problems, but the program she's doing in school emphasizes that more and I will supplement for that as needed down the line.

My kindergartner uses MIF at school and I am supplementing at home with Miquon (orange and red) and Singapore IP 1A. We are also using a variety of board games, card games, and logic puzzles. Over the summer, we will continue at the same pace, which is about 15 minutes, five times a week.

My main focus is developing number sense and getting my kindergartner very comfortable with talking about math. We have C rods and base ten blocks at the table and they are available for use at all times.

I used the same materials with my now 3rd grader and I am very happy with the results. Miquon is so different from any of the traditional math curriculums, so it felt interesting and novel, rather than just a rehash of what is done already at school.