Menu

A mystery

Scarlett

My cell phone rings.  The woman on the other end says 'is this <insert my family nickname that few people use> ?  I say Yes it is.  She then begins to (kindly) interrogate me....she claims my cell phone number had been called from her friend's phone.  I would just think I had called about buying a car or some such....but she had my nick name....so it was not some random call.  She kept asking me who I am, but I wouldn't tell her any info.  I asked her who she was and she said Jo.  I said Jo who?  She said Elizabeth Jo.  I said what is your last name.  She said Turner.  But honestly I think she was making it up.  I don't think she would tell me her real name.  

She claimed my number had been called this morning.  But no one has called my phone today from any number except my mom and dh.

It is driving me insane!  It had the definite ring of someone trying to figure out if their husband was cheating on them.  Ask me how I know.   :lol: 

It’s so weird that she knew your nickname!

And why would she be calling you and asking you about you having called her FRIEND’S phone?

I agree that it sounds like somebody thinks her husband is cheating, and I wonder if it’s someone you know because if she’s having her friend call you, she might be worried that you’ll recognize her voice... and the nickname thing leads me to believe she knows you, as well.

This is bizarre. And creepy.

All I can say is, keep an eye on your rear view mirror when you’re driving and see if anyone is following you.

You know you’re innocent, but it sounds like someone has a suspicion. Can you think of any men you know who have jealous wives and who might think something is going on when all you’ve done is have some casual conversations? Or are there any men that you know think you’re attractive and might have mentioned it to their wives?

• Like 1

It’s so weird that she knew your nickname!

And why would she be calling you and asking you about you having called her FRIEND’S phone?

I agree that it sounds like somebody thinks her husband is cheating, and I wonder if it’s someone you know because if she’s having her friend call you, she might be worried that you’ll recognize her voice... and the nickname thing leads me to believe she knows you, as well.

This is bizarre. And creepy.

All I can say is, keep an eye on your rear view mirror when you’re driving and see if anyone is following you.

You know you’re innocent, but it sounds like someone has a suspicion. Can you think of any men you know who have jealous wives and who might think something is going on when all you’ve done is have some casual conversations? Or are there any men that you know think you’re attractive and might have mentioned it to their wives?

Well the number was from AR and I asked her where she was calling from and she said Hamburg which no one could make up.  LOL.  It is a small town very very far from where I live now and from anyplace I ever lived when I lived in AR.

There is no one in my life that I would be chatting with using that nick name.  My brother uses it, my parents, my sister in Washington state...really it is  beyond weird.  I mean I guess maybe some of my cousins could have my number in their phone and their wife is going through their phone....??? but if that is the case none of them have called me anytime recently.  My mom doesn't have that number in her contacts either.

Just so weird.

Have you tried a reverse search on the phone number that called you, to try to figure out who it was?

Definitely save that number!

I did and got nothing except it is a cell phone number in AR.  

She had no clue who I was beyond my nick name.  She kept trying to get me to tell her who I am.

Ho would you even know what to tell her if you don't know how you're connected to her?   :confused1:   I mean, "Oh yeah I work with <person we mutually know>" doesn't work if you don't know how she (doesn't) know you...

Ho would you even know what to tell her if you don't know how you're connected to her?   :confused1:   I mean, "Oh yeah I work with <person we mutually know>" doesn't work if you don't know how she (doesn't) know you...

I sent her a text and asked her if she knows my brother( who is institutionalized).  He sometimes calls me from random people's phones, but I would doubt they would put me in their contacts. Besides that he has lost number.....I know this because the administrator of his home contacted me via FB to tell me he is looking for me.

She just called my phone again.....mystery lady....and left me a VM.  Basically just repeating she is trying to figure out who I am.  The funny thing is I have never changed my VM from 10 years when I made it say 'hi its me wait for the beep.'  I did that when I was figuring out who my now XH was having an affair with and I didn't want anyone to be able to identify me from my VM greeting.  Hilarious now...

• Like 1

Hamburg! That's where hamburgers come from, we used to joke with the kids.

Aren't you having some home renovations done, or did? Someone who may have a Hamburg # but doesn't live there anymore - lots of people move and keep a number from the former area code. Maybe your number got into some subcontracter or vendor's contact list, and it just got an accidental pocket dial this morning.

No idea how she'd know the nickname, unless someone overheard it and entered it. Is it a common nickname for people with your first name?

Hamburg! That's where hamburgers come from, we used to joke with the kids.

Aren't you having some home renovations done, or did? Someone who may have a Hamburg # but doesn't live there anymore - lots of people move and keep a number from the former area code. Maybe your number got into some subcontracter or vendor's contact list, and it just got an accidental pocket dial this morning.

No idea how she'd know the nickname, unless someone overheard it and entered it. Is it a common nickname for people with your first name?

No. My first name which I have used since I was 12 is unrelated to my nick name. My nick name comes from my middle name.  I can think only a handful of people who call me by my NN who would have me in their cell phone contacts.  All family and close friends who wouldn't have to try and figure out who I am.

We hired a few local guys to do our work.  I sure didn't give them my NN. 

So weird.  

This is bizarre! I think it may have to do with your brother though. Just seems mysterious enough...

Oh the VM she left me says she is from Atkins. That is even more obscure.  The thing is my brother has been placed in a dozen institutions all over the state....but I still find it weird he would have used someone's phone and put my name in their contacts.

When I asked her if she knew my brother she didn't really answer the question.  

Oh the VM she left me says she is from Atkins. That is even more obscure.  The thing is my brother has been placed in a dozen institutions all over the state....but I still find it weird he would have used someone's phone and put my name in their contacts.

When I asked her if she knew my brother she didn't really answer the question.  

If your brother is (or has been) institutionalized, then maybe she is, too, and somehow or other got your info from him? And she's not in her correct frame of mind right now?  

No...you said he lost the info.  Maybe she's from a time in the past and kept your number?  Maybe he lost your number, because she took it?

• Like 1

If your brother is (or has been) institutionalized, then maybe she is, too, and somehow or other got your info from him? And she's not in her correct frame of mind right now?  

No...you said he lost the info.  Maybe she's from a time in the past and kept your number?  Maybe he lost your number, because she took it?

She doesn't sound 'off'.  She sounds very country, which--Atkins.  LOL.  But institutionalized people sound very distinctive.

Part of what has me so freaked out is that I got the FB message from the administrator 3 weeks ago.  I responded to her and told her I would call him as soon as I got off work.  And then I forgot all about it.  :(  So today I was looking through my FB messages and JUST as I saw it my phone rang....an AR number and someone calling me by my NN.  

So since I was all guilt ridden about  not contacting him I called him when I had a few minutes here at work.  He was out at his day therapy and I talked to the admin who had found me on FB.  She was so freaking excited that I really felt guilty not calling back sooner.  But anyway, now in addition to some random stranger calling me from AR my brother has called me twice in 10 minutes and I haven't been able to answer....his VMs are heartbreaking......Hi sister, its me, Ricky.  Call me back.

Seriously, I would block her number.  My guess, is that she found your number written down somewhere or in a phone, and is trying to weasel information out about you.  Maybe like you said...a cousin or other relative. Or..Maybe a bill collector (for someone else) who is getting bits of information from Facebook or old Myspace accounts, that is how they connected your NN to your real phone number. No matter what, she is Lying to you about how she got your number so that just turns on all kinds of red flags in my mind. I would block her and not look back. Bill collector will use ploys like this to get you to contact other people for them.  

"You called my friend today.  Oh, it wasn't you?  Oh, you Bobby's cousin, that explains it. This is your long lost family friend Jennifer.  I have been wanting to talk to cousin Sharon, do you have her number?......."

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

Something seems very off about this whole situation.

Forget about reassuring this woman. She is being sneaky and deceitful.

Did you ask her why she wants to know who you are? Did you tell her you have no intention of giving personal information to a stranger who isn’t even trying to be honest with you?

Be careful. This may not be some poor woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her. Ask yourself what you would do if it was a man on the phone and not a woman. Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she couldn’t be dangerous, and just because she isn’t acting threatening doesn’t mean she’s not a threat.

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 5

She isn’t a bill collector. She isn’t the least bit threatening. She is most likely a suspicious wife or girlfriend trying to figure out who I am. I just wish she would tell me who she is do I could reassure her .

That is what scammers do!!! They get your trust to get you to give them information!!!  They are very, very good at it. That is why they are successful.  If they set of peoples internal 'threat alert" they wouldn't be good at scamming.  

• Like 3

Something seems very off about this whole situation.

Forget about reassuring this woman. She is being sneaky and deceitful.

Did you ask her why she wants to know who you are? Did you tell her you have no intention of giving personal information to a stranger who isn’t even trying to be honest with you?

Be careful. This may not be some poor woman who thinks her husband is cheating on her. Ask yourself what you would do if it was a man on the phone and not a woman. Just because she’s a woman doesn’t mean she couldn’t be dangerous, and just because she isn’t acting threatening doesn’t mean she’s not a threat.

Yeah, I just heard a seriously creepy story about a guy following a woman on the highway and then he called her cell phone and knew her name.

I've got to look for the story.

I think her name was Becca, and he called her and said, "I'm right behind you Becca."

or else my DH got the story wrong...

http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/nation-now/chased-by-a-stranger-woman-fears-iphone-setting-may-have-left-her-vulnerable/67-525199441

"About 15 miles outside Eden the Ford Explorer got on her tail.

“I was only doing 74 mph. There were four lanes of traffic and I was in the slow lane, and I couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t passing me.â€

She changed lanes. The Explorer changed lanes. The Explorer passed Wilcox, then slowed below the speed limit and again got behind her car.

Then “he got up right along beside me ... turned his dome light on and looked at me,†Wilcox said.

When the Explorer began moving into her lane, Wilcox called Concho County 911 and described the vehicle and its driver — white male, early to mid-20s, dark hair, scraggly goatee.

At 7:57 p.m. Wilcox’s iPhone 7 rang. She didn’t recognize the number.

“I answered. … The voice on the other end was real crackly. (He) said, ‘Becca? It’s Jason. I’m behind you. Pull over.’â€

Wilcox hung up and hit the accelerator. "

http://www.wtsp.com/article/news/nation-now/chased-by-a-stranger-woman-fears-iphone-setting-may-have-left-her-vulnerable/67-525199441

"About 15 miles outside Eden the Ford Explorer got on her tail.

“I was only doing 74 mph. There were four lanes of traffic and I was in the slow lane, and I couldn’t figure out why he wasn’t passing me.â€

She changed lanes. The Explorer changed lanes. The Explorer passed Wilcox, then slowed below the speed limit and again got behind her car.

Then “he got up right along beside me ... turned his dome light on and looked at me,†Wilcox said.

When the Explorer began moving into her lane, Wilcox called Concho County 911 and described the vehicle and its driver — white male, early to mid-20s, dark hair, scraggly goatee.

At 7:57 p.m. Wilcox’s iPhone 7 rang. She didn’t recognize the number.

“I answered. … The voice on the other end was real crackly. (He) said, ‘Becca? It’s Jason. I’m behind you. Pull over.’â€

Wilcox hung up and hit the accelerator. "

That must have been terrifying for that poor woman!

And am I the only one who read that article and immediately checked their iPhone to make sure AirDrop was turned off?

• Like 1

There is no way on this planet a person would call me by this NN and be trying to scam me in any way. That is the main reason I want to know who she is.

Please be careful.

If this woman was legitimate, she would tell you who she was and she would tell you what was going on.

I agree with Angi — if you really want to know who the woman is, pay to get the premium reverse phone number information and see if you recognize the name and address.

I think it is a very bad idea to keep talking to this woman or texting her.

• Like 2

Please be careful.

If this woman was legitimate, she would tell you who she was and she would tell you what was going on.

I agree with Angi — if you really want to know who the woman is, pay to get the premium reverse phone number information and see if you recognize the name and address.

I think it is a very bad idea to keep talking to this woman or texting her.

Cat, Cat, Cat.  You have obviously never been suspicious of a cheating husband and determined to get to the truth.  

Maybe I missed this part, but did you ask who her friend is (the one who supposedly had your number on his/her phone)?

I did.  At first I could tell she was making stuff up....then at the end she said do you know someone named---and she named a first and last name.  I remember the last name but I have never heard of anyone by that name.  I just googled and there are people in Atkins with that last name.

Maybe Cat hasn't, but don't allow your own history with that cloud your judgement. It could be that's her situation. But it could be other things as well.

Like what?

But I was mainly just pointing out that a person can be above board and honest and not a scammer and still need to resort to detective mode.

Cat, Cat, Cat. You have obviously never been suspicious of a cheating husband and determined to get to the truth.

I might be missing something but what if this woman thinks you're the one having the affair with her husband and she comes after you?

You seem to think she thinks you have info or something. But what if she actually thinks you're doinking her husband or boyfirend?

• Like 1

I might be missing something but what if this woman thinks you're the one having the affair with her husband and she comes after you?

You seem to think she thinks you have info or something. But what if she actually thinks you're doinking her husband or boyfirend?

Of course she thinks that.  

Well the number was from AR and I asked her where she was calling from and she said Hamburg which no one could make up. LOL. It is a small town very very far from where I live now and from anyplace I ever lived when I lived in AR.

There is no one in my life that I would be chatting with using that nick name. My brother uses it, my parents, my sister in Washington state...really it is beyond weird. I mean I guess maybe some of my cousins could have my number in their phone and their wife is going through their phone....??? but if that is the case none of them have called me anytime recently. My mom doesn't have that number in her contacts either.

Just so weird.

May one of the cousins either pocket dialled or started to call then hung up before the call could go through to you. The wife saw the nickname and got suspicious.

Alternatively have you used that nickname a source a password or security question anywhere. That would be a worry.

There is no way on this planet a person would call me by this NN and be trying to scam me in any way. That is the main reason I want to know who she is.

I don't agree with you sorry. On of your friends may have you stored under this nickname on their phone. The phones security may have been hacked and now scammers have a random list of phone numbers they are using including yours.

• Like 1

I don't agree with you sorry. On of your friends may have you stored under this nickname on their phone. The phones security may have been hacked and now scammers have a random list of phone numbers they are using including yours.

SHM.  No.  Just no. I guess since none of you talked to her you can't really understand how obvious it is that she is not some sort of scammer.  I found her on FB.  I went through her friends lists, and their friends list.  She is just a normal person trying to figure out who I am because she found my number on her boyfriend or husband's phone.  I found her on FB because she gave me her real first name but a fake last name and then the name she asked about is her last name.

She is no threat to me.  

• Like 1

SHM.  No.  Just no. I guess since none of you talked to her you can't really understand how obvious it is that she is not some sort of scammer.  I found her on FB.  I went through her friends lists, and their friends list.  She is just a normal person trying to figure out who I am because she found my number on her boyfriend or husband's phone.  I found her on FB because she gave me her real first name but a fake last name and then the name she asked about is her last name.

She is no threat to me.  

How do you know it is her?  

How do you know it is her?  

Every piece of the puzzle fits.  Even the last name she gave me that I thought was fake appears to be her maiden name. I hoped to connect the dots to someone in her life that works at a mental health nursing home but not so far and I have to go cook dinner.