Menu

She read a book!!!!

Actually, 2 books!

They were super short, easy to read picture books, but they were books! Not phonics readers, not a workbook assignment, but real books from the library! She's SO proud of herself!

This is my just turned 8 yr old dyslexic. We did the first level of Barton and then moved on to Abecedarian and she is making SO much progress!!!!

• Like 14

Now I need people to find me other books like this! The easy reader books are actually harder for her than these picture books. She does best with lots of repetition in the book, and not too many words per page. Any suggestions?

These two are “maybes†but my daughter liked them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423168070/ref=dbs_a_w_dp_1423168070

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1423159527/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B5PMXPX0FJVD294B4DKE

The “If you Give a mouse a cookie†series by Laura Numeroff is a maybe.

They might still be on the hard side.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Easy readers are not always so easy! I don't have a specific book suggestion, but if I think of some, I'll pop back in and post again.

Oh, what about We're Going on a Bear Hunt ? Lots of repetition in that one, but it's been a long time since I've read it, so I don't know how difficult the words are to decode.

I don't have specific recommendations, but I found that different publishers of Easy Reader books had differing ideas about their levels, but within each publisher, they are pretty consistent about how they label each level and what kinds of words/skills will be in their books. 

I don't have specific recommendations, but I found that different publishers of Easy Reader books had differing ideas about their levels, but within each publisher, they are pretty consistent about how they label each level and what kinds of words/skills will be in their books. 

That's what I'm finding out! We found one called "Cat Traps" that is much easier, and she can read it. So I'll look for others by that publisher, as well as by that author. 

So the Step Into Reading Level 1 books may work! She read TWO of them today, one of them while I wasn't even home!!!! 

Y'all, she READ A BOOK FOR PLEASURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am actually crying about this, I'm just so happy. 

• Like 7

So she read a couple of the easier books yesterday, and then when we were at the library grabbed a slightly harder one, a Pinkcalicious one that was level 1 but of a harder publisher. I had set it aside as too hard. But she wanted to try, and WOW! I was right, it WAS too hard, but she tried SO hard...she fought that damend book all day and she finished it !!!!! She read at the library, in the car, at home, until she did it. She did ask for help with a few words, but did it mostly on her own. I was SO proud, and she said she was so happy she could pop, lol. 

I HATE dyslexia, and she definitely still has a lot of issues relating to dyslexia, but she's GETTING IT and moreover she says she LIKES books now!

• Like 2

Celebrating with you!

I remember when my dd was at a weird stage in her learning where I was having trouble finding books that worked for her. I ended up writing some stories with her as the main character and the animals and people in our lives as the other characters. They took very little time to write and she enjoyed them immensely. I still have a few that she illustrated, a great remembrance of how hard we worked to get where we are today. 

• Like 1

The readers from I See Sam www.iseesam.com have nice stories (although a few kids don't like them) and they move slowly with new sounds/words with lots of practice. They can be a complete reading program but also work as readers with another program.