Menu

If you've done Veritas Press' Omnibus I......

If you've done Veritas Omnibus I, about how long did it take to complete the book?

​How old was your student when you started/finished it?

Did you do it on your own or the Self-Paced course?

What'd you like and not like about it?

In short, please share your thoughts on it.

We are taking a class in the fall at Wilson Hill Academy that is loosely based on the Omnibus I book. My understanding is that the WHA course does not use all the books recommended in Omnibus I.

edited to add: this was meant to bump the thread.  =)

Edited by cintinative

Try searching the boards for Omnibus with Google. The search engine here is awful. 

As noted by pp, curricula and publishers rise and fall in popularity here. Other great books or history/lit combo options get more attention here lately. You will find some info in older posts, though. 

Douglas Wilson, one of the authors of the Ominibus texts, is very unpopular here for a wide variety of reasons. There was an accusation of plagarism against him relatively recently with regard Ominbus. 

• Like 1

I used it with my then-9th grader (who was an older 9th grader because we held him back in 3rd), my very first year of homeschooling.

I was so excited to use such a gorgeous book, and it was so thoughtfully and well laid-out, and he'd be reading Great Books and...Oh, I was so thrilled. 

Well. 

We ended up not reading ANY of the supplemental books that year. 

We added Quo Vadis, changed the theological selections (to Paul Little's Know What You Believe and one other of his, because they fit our theology better). 

We didn't do the writing. 

We read nearly all the primary works. I felt ok about it all, and ds had an interesting introduction to neoclassical learning. 

IDK. 

It was all right. I didn't know anything about Doug Wilson. I'm not a fan now, but I don't think we were affected by anything he did. 

I ended up using Omnibus II also, but we didn't read some of those selections. It was a pretty good year. 

I think I should've used something like Tapestry of Grace, although that was too much. Prob what I should've done was enroll him part time. 

BUT

He graduated college with a degree in film, and he read many, many wonderful books. On some level, just reading those books influenced him and educated him, even though his writing wasn't as intense and I'm not sure we ever really had a rhetoric level discussion. 

I wouldn't use them in 7th grade. But your mileage may vary. 

You might take a look at the book lists for other Lit and History Great books type courses for comparison.

Wilson Hill's Great Conversation classes are one example. Bruce Etter and some of their other teachers used to teach Omnibus at VP. They have made the book lists much shorter and do not require the Onnibus text.

• Like 1