Menu

I leave for France a week from tomorrow UPDATE about packing

Ginevra

And I will rendez-vous with my daughter who is studying there this semester. I am excited! But also kind of terrified! I’m not a well-travelled person. I have never flown into another country (only cruised or driven). And I have never travelled so far solo.

I do believe I will be fine. But it’s hard for me to “charge forth into the unknown.†I’m not a very adventuresome person. But I’m going to be pretending to be one in a week! Also, the beginning leg of my trip will be in Paris and I’m also intimidated by that, because I know it is a very busy city and I won’t know much of anything beyond what Rick Steve’s Guide to Paris tells me.

Were my daughter not there, I would never have gotten around to really for real planning this trip. I’m scared to death!

Edited by Quill
  • Like 20

YAY

I am so excited for you and so glad that you are going. I didn't know that you were for sure going.

Fake it till you make it.

People are there to help if you need it.

Is your dd meeting you at the airport?

Have the time of your life.

No, she cannot meet up with me until late Friday night because she has class and has to take the train up from Montpellier. So, ha, it is up to me to navigate the airport and customs and find my shuttle to my hotel. My small plus is that I know some French, a passable amount for asking basic questions and reading signs. But, I am by no means fluent or even very competent at speaking or understanding spoken French. So - yeah. I am afraid of earning the contempt of Parisians as I haltingly splutter out some incoherent sentence that translates to, “Excuse me but always go for to leave under the train station is that way? Broccoli?â€

• Like 11

You'll be fine. As long as you are polite and make an effort when asking for help, you will be met with kindness.

One hint: when you are riding the metro, know where you are going (write it on a scrap of paper or look at your phone if you need to) so you can quickly look at the sign and go in the right direction. One thing people don't like is getting stuck behind someone blocking the flow of traffic when they are trying to make their connection.

Have a good trip!

• Like 2

No, she cannot meet up with me until late Friday night because she has class and has to take the train up from Montpellier. So, ha, it is up to me to navigate the airport and customs and find my shuttle to my hotel. My small plus is that I know some French, a passable amount for asking basic questions and reading signs. But, I am by no means fluent or even very competent at speaking or understanding spoken French. So - yeah. I am afraid of earning the contempt of Parisians as I haltingly splutter out some incoherent sentence that translates to, “Excuse me but always go for to leave under the train station is that way? Broccoli?â€

You'll be OK. I speak like that in English!

:grouphug:

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 2

If you have a smartphone with you can download Google Translate and even download French to use offline if that will make you feel better. Have a great time!

Yes, I have already been using google translate to help in booking accommodations. I like to see how much I can figure out first and then look at the translation to see how accurate I was.

• Like 1

yay!! what fun... and you'll be meeting someone who knows their way around when you get there.   

I spoke no French when we went to Paris about 17yrs ago.  My dh was at a conference and I had a whole day to myself.  I'm definitely not the bold-adventurous type either (and even less so 17yrs ago!).  I  was very proud of myself that I navigated the Underground and enjoyed a day alone in Paris. 

You can do it!

• Like 3

I love Paris! We found the Metro fairly easy to navigate with a Metro map. Parisians were very friendly and helpful in my experience, and they appreciated my meager efforts to speak their language. Many of them speak English, too, but I never assumed that. You will be fine. Have a wonderful time!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I hope you have a wonderful trip! I have found in many cities and countries, that if you ask nicely, you will nearly always find people who will do everything they can to help, even in places that don't have that reputation (NYC, for example). I say "nearly always" because I'm sure there are a few who are rude, but I can't remember finding those people myself.

• Like 1

I guess I should tap for anxiety. 😉

I wasn't going to say anything, but you read my mind. :P

I'll get you started:

I'm scared I'll get lost, sound like an idiot, look like a fool, so scared, so jittery, excited, nervous, France, I'm going to Paris

:D

• Like 1

.... get French coins early for the pay toilets.  :p

You don't need them anymore for the sanisettes.

Here is the sanisette map, Quill  :lol:  :https://www.parisinfo.com/paris-pratique/informations-utiles/vie-quotidienne/toilettes-publiques

That site is actually quite useful. Click on â€œDécouvrir†and you will find all sorts of nice walks and intros to the different quartiers. :)

And if you go to "Sortir" there is a list of current exhibitions that you might enjoy.

ETA  Oh, and DUH, me! Click on the UK flag and you can see it all in English. LOL https://en.parisinfo.com/

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 3

As an American who studied German in high school and college and ended up in Italy for a college semester, but found Germans/Austrians/French/Italians often mistook me for a native (by looks alone), let me reassure you: if you try to speak French, someone will make a physical cringe, thank you for attempting French, and then ask if you speak English. I highly, highly recommend you at least try to speak French so learn standard phrases. But the Western European continent has done an excellent job of educating their citizens in English so you have a high likelihood of finding someone who understands you. Learn the phrase: "I'm sorry. Please speak more slowly." in French. 

I have found reading languages is often easier than hearing; brush up on your reading so you understand the signs. In my experience, the French will often forgive your attempts at speaking French, but feel more charitable towards you because you tried.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 2

Welcome to the other side of the ocean!

Almost anybody, except for elderly people, should be able to speak English to a certain degree, so I would not worry about the French.

(I always use English in Brussels, my first sentence sounds something like: Je ne comprends pas Francais bien, parlez vous d’Anglais?)

• Like 1

Have a wonderful time, Quill! Because I've been reading The Vivienne Files a lot lately, I'd love to know what outfits you're taking. :)

I don’t have it fully figured out yet. I’m trying not to overpack, but I also don’t want to be ill-prepared. I know that I’m definitely taking a cream blouse with black slacks for when I want to dress nicely. I am bringing a pair of black short boots that go with this but also red heels. I’m just not sure if I will be able to wear the heels on cobblestone streets. I also have a dress that can dress up (with the red heels) or down with black ballet flats. I’m bringing a black lightweight cardigan. I have a gorgeous skirt I got in my Trunk Club box but I can’t decide if it is extraneous or not. I also can only wear it with the heels, so again with the question of whether or not I can navigate in heels at all. I also have a light-weigh black sweater that I plan to bring; it is nicely versatile.

I have three long-sleeved tees and two or three dark jeans I plan to bring for typical wear. I have a few scarves that style these up a little. I have a powder blue pair of Ecco sneakers for heavy walking days. Probably one burgundy sweaters that’s very warm.

Trying to figure out which outwear items to bring. I have a long navy military-style coat which I expect to wear when I leave because it is bulky to pack. I have a light jacket with anti-theft internal pockets, but I’m not sure whether to have another short jacket for if it is too cold for only the anti-theft jacket. Coats take up so much packing space so I haven’t figured that out. I could leave the long navy coat at home and wear my short red wool coat. I also have a pair of black and white floral wellies. If I bring these, I will wear them when I leave so they don’t have to be packed. My dd recommends bringing them; they are terrific if it rains or if it’s muddy anywhere.

Probably you did not mean for me to write a book. :) I’m just trying to figure it out still. This weekend will be packing dry run and I will decide on the questionable things.

• Like 1

The weather is odd for the moment: one day it freezes and snows (night temperatures below 10 degrees celsius) three days later we walked in the sun with almost 15 degrees Celsius midday temperature. This was last week.

I know! My dd sent me pictures of eight inches of snow in Montpellier. Palm trees and rosemary covered in snow! Fascinating!

• Like 1

My only Paris warning is that when we went in the fall the customs line look a few hours. I wasn't ready for that bathroom or snack wise after a long flight. We met some nice people, had a few laughs, but it was a long wait.

And, even my 15 year old son said, at an ATM, "It feels like people are watching us... You get the money and I'm going to watch your back."

Have fun. It's a beautiful city.

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 1

Paris is wonderful. It's a really nice city to walk around in. I find the drivers are aware and yield to pedestrians better than in my own city. The metro is easy to navigate as well. You can take it right from the airport so you don't need a taxi or bus.

I'm sure your dd will have a great time showing you all the sights. I'd love to have a "local" show me around to stuff I just never had the time to discover. 

• Like 1

I think you are doing a good job thinking out what to bring. I would not bring the red heels because as you have said they are not fun on the cobblestones. The short black boots, Ecco shoes, and flats will be perfect. Spray some waterproofer on the black boots and you should be fine most of the time in those and the Eccos. I don't think I've ever worn rubber boots in France although I wear them all the time in Belgium when I walk the dogs or go walking on trails. 

For the coats the long coat will probably be just right with the cardigans. If it doesn't have a hood you will want a small umbrella or hat. Or buy a cool hat in Paris. You can pretty much count on rain and temps around 50 degrees. The light jacket will be good to pack in case of a warm day. I wouldn't do a third coat. 

There is an app for the Paris metro you could download to your phone or just use google maps. You're going to have a great time! The people really are friendly. 

• Like 3

I think you are doing a good job thinking out what to bring. I would not bring the red heels because as you have said they are not fun on the cobblestones. The short black boots, Ecco shoes, and flats will be perfect. Spray some waterproofer on the black boots and you should be fine most of the time in those and the Eccos. I don't think I've ever worn rubber boots in France although I wear them all the time in Belgium when I walk the dogs or go walking on trails.

For the coats the long coat will probably be just right with the cardigans. If it doesn't have a hood you will want a small umbrella or hat. Or buy a cool hat in Paris. You can pretty much count on rain and temps around 50 degrees. The light jacket will be good to pack in case of a warm day. I wouldn't do a third coat.

There is an app for the Paris metro you could download to your phone or just use google maps. You're going to have a great time! The people really are friendly.

Definitely skip the wellies. And the red shoes. And a couple pairs of jeans, the skirt, and some sweaters. I'd jettison most of it. As long as you are clean and well put together it's all good. No one cares if you wear the same thing every day, no one will even notice. IME, one is always happier packing way less. What's the worst that can happen? You'll need to buy something terrific when you're there that will also serve as a souvenir of your trip. ;)

• Like 8

I don’t have it fully figured out yet. I’m trying not to overpack, but I also don’t want to be ill-prepared. I know that I’m definitely taking a cream blouse with black slacks for when I want to dress nicely. I am bringing a pair of black short boots that go with this but also red heels. I’m just not sure if I will be able to wear the heels on cobblestone streets. I also have a dress that can dress up (with the red heels) or down with black ballet flats. I’m bringing a black lightweight cardigan. I have a gorgeous skirt I got in my Trunk Club box but I can’t decide if it is extraneous or not. I also can only wear it with the heels, so again with the question of whether or not I can navigate in heels at all. I also have a light-weigh black sweater that I plan to bring; it is nicely versatile.

I have three long-sleeved tees and two or three dark jeans I plan to bring for typical wear. I have a few scarves that style these up a little. I have a powder blue pair of Ecco sneakers for heavy walking days. Probably one burgundy sweaters that’s very warm.

Trying to figure out which outwear items to bring. I have a long navy military-style coat which I expect to wear when I leave because it is bulky to pack. I have a light jacket with anti-theft internal pockets, but I’m not sure whether to have another short jacket for if it is too cold for only the anti-theft jacket. Coats take up so much packing space so I haven’t figured that out. I could leave the long navy coat at home and wear my short red wool coat. I also have a pair of black and white floral wellies. If I bring these, I will wear them when I leave so they don’t have to be packed. My dd recommends bringing them; they are terrific if it rains or if it’s muddy anywhere.

Probably you did not mean for me to write a book. :) I’m just trying to figure it out still. This weekend will be packing dry run and I will decide on the questionable things.

I am another pack as light as possible person.  How long are you going for?  Do you have access to laundry while you are there? 

Normally we pack 2 people in one roller carry on.  But we have figured that when we do that we bring to much.  

In the fall while in Europe for 3 weeks each person had a small backpack.  We didn't even fill them.  They were filled about halfway.  In retrospect we could have had 2 people in each backpack. 

And we still brought to much and didn't need it.  We were able to do laundry every few days.  

• Like 2

Hope you have a wonderful time!  

I used to be a minimal packer, but I pack a bit more these days.  

However, there is the option of buying stuff while you are there if you pack minimally! 

I'm too short to buy actual clothes without hassel, but I do buy scarves and earrings and that kind of thing.  So fun!

• Like 1

I am another pack as light as possible person. How long are you going for? Do you have access to laundry while you are there?

Normally we pack 2 people in one roller carry on. But we have figured that when we do that we bring to much.

In the fall while in Europe for 3 weeks each person had a small backpack. We didn't even fill them. They were filled about halfway. In retrospect we could have had 2 people in each backpack.

And we still brought to much and didn't need it. We were able to do laundry every few days.

This is amazing!! I thought I was a light packer, but apparently I am a mere beginner!! Please tell me, WHAT did you pack???

Anne,

Who obviously needs some packing lessons...

• Like 2

I am another pack as light as possible person. How long are you going for? Do you have access to laundry while you are there?

Normally we pack 2 people in one roller carry on. But we have figured that when we do that we bring to much.

In the fall while in Europe for 3 weeks each person had a small backpack. We didn't even fill them. They were filled about halfway. In retrospect we could have had 2 people in each backpack.

And we still brought to much and didn't need it. We were able to do laundry every few days.

I have a notion of doing this, because I would rather not have checked luggage, but I cannot imagine it in reality. I’m high maintenance. I mean, just being honest here. If I’m cold I’ll be mad at myself for not packing a sweater. If I’m hot I’ll be mad at myself for not packing the tank top. My hair requires tools. My camera is complex. My laptop has to come along, but so will my ipad. And chargers. And converters.

I will have a laundry facility for one week of the two total. I don’t expect to have laundry facilities for the beginning, while I am in Paris, nor at the end, once I have left the rental in Montpellier. (I think I will be in the Loire Valley and/or Normandy for this bit, but it is not certain yet. Still trying to figure that part out.)

Part of me is so awed by people who can pack so light, but part of me is emphatically stressed by feeling unprepared. The duffle I plan to have as my carry-on is the same one I use when I go away for a weekend, and it is usually packed full. How do you have enough socks, undergarments, something to sleep in? What happens if your shoes get soaked? What if the beaches at Normandy are freezing and I failed to pack my sweater? See...

• Like 3

I have a notion of doing this, because I would rather not have checked luggage, but I cannot imagine it in reality. I’m high maintenance. I mean, just being honest here. If I’m cold I’ll be mad at myself for not packing a sweater. If I’m hot I’ll be mad at myself for not packing the tank top. My hair requires tools. My camera is complex. My laptop has to come along, but so will my ipad. And chargers. And converters.

I will have a laundry facility for one week of the two total. I don’t expect to have laundry facilities for the beginning, while I am in Paris, nor at the end, once I have left the rental in Montpellier. (I think I will be in the Loire Valley and/or Normandy for this bit, but it is not certain yet. Still trying to figure that part out.)

Part of me is so awed by people who can pack so light, but part of me is emphatically stressed by feeling unprepared. The duffle I plan to have as my carry-on is the same one I use when I go away for a weekend, and it is usually packed full. How do you have enough socks, undergarments, something to sleep in? What happens if your shoes get soaked? What if the beaches at Normandy are freezing and I failed to pack my sweater? See...

You'll be travelling around? Oh, honey, unless you have a driver, you are going to be very, very unhappy travelling around with a lot of luggage. Think about getting a bunch of luggage through the metro and to the train station, and then putting it all up in the train, then lugging it through the streets to get to wherever you are going. I don't know anyone who has ever been pickpocketed in France, but you can bet if there is someone looking for a victim they are going to choose the person who is encumbered.

Do you really have to travel with everything you think you have to travel with? Can your hair not survive without tools for two weeks? Do you absolutely need to be connected to the internet at all times? If so, will your phone not suffice? Try to imagine just having one light bag and how much more free you will be to stop in a cafe or pop into a store or a bakery... versus being, well, the stereotypical American. 

• Like 7

Yeah, I do know I will not want a suitcase and a duffle when I am traveling around; I just cannot imagine not having the things that could be necessary. My phone cannot be my only device, yet I have to have my phone. It does not have enough storage left and I have some apps on my ipad because of it. My phone is an old iphone and is tiny. How anyone has ever used those tiny things to do anything online...

My hair: no, I cannot survive without my hair tools. Not for a day! 😠If there were any place on Earth that I would allow my hair to be the freak-show frizzball that it is on its own, France would not be that place. It would probably come in dead last in a ranking, actually. The center of the well-groomed and me with a tumbleweed upon my head - no, no. It cannot be. I would surely BUY at least a straightening iron if I were so foolish to not pack it.

I told you I was high maintenance...

I do agree with the clothes somewhat. I know the red shoes are best left at home and I can definitely get by without the skirt. I only just decided a few days ago that the long sleeved tees were the best choice for a top; I wear them all the time already, so they obviously suit me well.

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

At how many different places will you be spending the night?  This can make a difference in how much luggage you take.  However you can still lock your luggage up or have it held for you or send it ahead even if you are traveling around.

When I was young I traveled light.

Now we/I do not travel so light. We all take our laptops and our phones. 

I try to be reasonable, but also I want to look decent so i take enough clothes and my make up and some hair stuff and a cheap pair of decent earrings.  I do not travel with any nice jewelry.  

Wrestling with luggage is fun! LOL  Gosh, some sexy French man might offer to help you! LOL

As long as you are polite (and you are) I honestly would not worry about the whole stereotypical American thing, because there is nothing you can do about that if someone wants to head in that direction they will. People should be able to handle differences and most people can.  Some may roll their eyes and that's totally ok, maybe it gives them something to do! LOL

I look forward to doing a trip like this with my daughter some day! Sounds so fun!

• Like 2

Be sure and check any hair dryers, curling irons etc that they are compatible in France . Most things that heat are not and an adapter only changes the plug not the electrical current.

Take clothes that all mix and match. You really do not want more than a city size shoulder bag and a carry on. Be sure and check measurements including the wheels and handles. The tag on the suitcase often does not. Roll clothes and pack in ziplocks. It keeps the suitcase tidy if it gets opened in security and packs smaller. Are you really going to need a dress outfit? Takes Jeans that don’t bag out in a day. Everyone is a tourist in Paris or so it seems. Have a great time!

• Like 2

Yeah, no nice jewelry is coming with me either, except my anniversary band.

I will have three changes of location. First at a hotel in Paris, then a rental unit in Monpellier, then the not-yet-decided last two nights. I was debating about Loire Valley and/or beaches of Normandy, but I also just learned that Bayuex is not at all a short distance from Paris, so I am not sure what to do. My goal was to be back in the vicinity of Paris before my return flight, because it is such a long train ride from the south to CDG airport. At this point, I may just spend the two final nights back in Paris.

It's unlikely that the hair dryer and straightening iron will work on just an adaptor. Most places have hair dryers although they usually aren't very powerful. It's a good point to check the luggage limits on the trains you will be taking. Larger bags are left near the doors on a big rack. Usually you can take a medium size rolling bag and a backpack comfortably if you're not going to be dragging it around all day, but just dropping off at the hotel. 

Be very careful on the trains with your smaller bags. People often get complacent on the trains and set their bags next to them on the seat. But thieves like to get on at a stop, walk through the train grabbing any available small bag, and get off the train before it starts to move again. They know that's where people have their valuables. 

• Like 2

Well we are all different and I am not high maintenance at all.  I do do hair or makeup.  Hairbrush was all I brought. 

We did bring a laptop since dh did some work.  But if we we were not working that wouldn't have come.  Not sure why you would want a lap top and an ipad.  Are you working while you are there? 

And a camera?  We brought one small camera and an iphone.  But an iphone was enough really.  

All that is just too much. 

I get wanting to feel prepared, but you are not going to the middle of the forest.  You can get stuff there if you need it.    We bring enough undies until we can wash them.  We do a mix of hotels and airbnbs just because for us that is easier to do laundry, although some hotels have laundry. 

I make us all just bring regular clothes to sleep in.  So the kids just slept in a t-shirt and a shorts or just the t-shirt and undies.  Less to pack.  The shirt they could wear in the day too. 

Again enough socks until we do laundry.  So if you only have one week where you don't have access I would bring enough for those 7 days. 

7 Undies (or less.  You can do laundry in the sink and hang to dry0

same with socks

Double wear pants and shirts just like at home

You are bringing a coat right?  If it was cold we just layered up on things.  t-shirt, sweater, jacket.  Done.   But I think you talked about bringing more than one coat.  

Funny about the shoes, are shoes did get soaked in this crazy rain storm in Venice. dh and I had brought more than one pair, which I wished we hadn't and didn't really need. 

We just dried all 7 pair of shoes in front of fans overnight, done. 

But you could also buy some there if that were to happen.  Sometimes I would rather just buy some things than to haul it all the way there and back to MAYBE use it.  

Now with somethings I like to be prepared so that you are not looking for it at 2 am in the morning like meds.   But other stuff I would just chance it and get it there if it needs. 

• Like 2

Yeah, no nice jewelry is coming with me either, except my anniversary band.

I will have three changes of location. First at a hotel in Paris, then a rental unit in Monpellier, then the not-yet-decided last two nights. I was debating about Loire Valley and/or beaches of Normandy, but I also just learned that Bayuex is not at all a short distance from Paris, so I am not sure what to do. My goal was to be back in the vicinity of Paris before my return flight, because it is such a long train ride from the south to CDG airport. At this point, I may just spend the two final nights back in Paris.

With all that moving less is more.  Less is more. 

• Like 1

Be sure and check any hair dryers, curling irons etc that they are compatible in France . Most things that heat are not and an adapter only changes the plug not the electrical current.

Take clothes that all mix and match. You really do not want more than a city size shoulder bag and a carry on. Be sure and check measurements including the wheels and handles. The tag on the suitcase often does not. Roll clothes and pack in ziplocks. It keeps the suitcase tidy if it gets opened in security and packs smaller. Are you really going to need a dress outfit? Takes Jeans that don’t bag out in a day. Everyone is a tourist in Paris or so it seems. Have a great time!

Thanks for mentioning it, but yes, I have a converter.

Probably nixing the dress, and nixing the blouse. Taking the long coat and the light jacket. Bringing the tees and a few scarves to change their appearance and dress them up if needed. Bringing the cardigan and the black sweater. Bringing the warm burgundy sweater in case of very cool weather/ wind. For shoes, just the short boots and the ecco sneakers. It still does not seem like I can pack everything into my backpack and a carry-on, but perhaps I will give it a whirl.

• Like 1