Menu

What will everyone do for 6th grade 2018/19

lgliser

I always like seeing what other people are doing! I'd also love to hear if people think anything is missing from my list.

Here's what I have so far:

History: Veritas Press self paced history - Explorers to 1815

Civics: Uncle Sam and Me

Spelling: All About Spelling -finish level 6 and start level 7

Writing: Writing and Rhetoric book 5 -Refutation and Confirmation, book 6 - Commonplace

Science: Science in theScientific Revolution

Math: Pretty sure I will have my son do both CLE 7 and 8 for 6th grade. The girls will most likely stick with CLE and do level 6... though I'm also thinking about Mastering Essential Math Skills for them. 

*I decided to do MEMS. Fingers crossed!

Foreign language: Considering we ARE stopping Latin and starting Spanish. We have loved GSWL so we will do Getting Started with Spanish. 

Grammar: I'm not sure. We have taken this 5th grade year off of formal grammar after 4 years of FLL. We used an Evan Moor work book, which has been good for just keeping up on things, and I feel like GSWL has been wonderful for grammar and I think Spanish will be the same way. So, what about no formal grammar again for 6th grade??  

Decided to do Grammar for the Well-Trained Mind. Excited!

Word study: Vocabulary from Classical Roots book 6

Logic: Fallacy Detective

We'll also read a lot. We don't really do anything formal with the books we read. Just talk about them. Sometimes I look up questions to ask them.

Our extra activities include AWANA, Sunday school, lots of sports, piano/strings, a co op that includes art, music, PE, science, computers, and Spanish, another co op that we can take anything that happens to be offered and can range from things like art to science classes and anything in between.

Edited by lgliser

We are going to use a couple of the things you are using - AAS 6 and W & R Book 6.

I posted in the other thread, but I'll post in this one, too. It might be easier to search this thread title later.

In addition to the above, my 6th grader will be doing:

Chemistry: Ellen McHenry's stuff, a Thames and Cosmos Chem set, MEL Chemistry subscription, and some readings from the Guesthollow elementary chemistry schedule. He is *really* excited about this.

Math: Jacobs Algebra. I am excited about this one. I think he will really like Algebra.

Lit and History: 1900's. I'm designing this myself. I also hope this will be enjoyable. I'm hoping to put some fun back in our days this coming year.

Bible: One of the Explorer's Bible Study books.

Engish: Either R&S 7 or either the new WTM or CAP grammar books. I like R&S, but I wouldn't mind changing it up next year and then doing 7 the following year. I also have Our Mother Tongue. Maybe that?

Music: Band at the school, Opal Wheeler books

Languages: continue with Latin for Children, hopefully get a chunk of the B book done. Something for Spanish, but I am unsure what. He moves very slowly in languages.

Art: I'd like to get a few of the SCM Artist Portfolios. My kids aren't really into art.

• Like 1

Math: Saxon 8/7 w/Prealgebra

Language Arts: R&S English 7, Writing with Skill 2, list of American lit books

History: All-American History Vols. 1 and 2.  Or maybe just Vol. 1, still working this out

Science: GH Chemistry in the Kitchen along with big sister, Agriscience, various living science books, nature study, probably some assorted Outschool classes

Foreign Language: Second Form Latin, Breaking the French Barrier 2

Music: Piano and Guitar, America's Musical Heritage DVD

Other: Home Ec to go along with Chemistry in the Kitchen, hopefully P.E. at co-op

Lots of 4-H activities: Gardening, Agronomy, Entomology, Range Management, Forestry, Conservation & Wildlife, Livestock Judging, Showing cattle

History: Human Odyssey

Spelling: All About Spelling 

Writing: Voyages in English (Loyola)

Science: CPO Middle - finishing Earth and starting Life

Math: CLE

Foreign language: Fluent Forever and "Wilkommen in Deutschland" workbooks and website ("Welcome to Germany")

Grammar: Voyages in English (Loyola)

I'm still working on it, but so far it looks like this: 

ELA: WWS1, Grammar for WTM, Vocab from Classical Roots, Mosdos Pearl

Math: AOPS Prealgebra

History: History Odyssey 2 Middle Ages

Science: CPO Life Science (and will follow along little brother with RSO Physics)

Spanish: GSWS plus beginning Spanish lit w/ Mom

Here is what I am thinking with my first 6th grader!

Math: MIF  Course 1

Language Arts: CLE 5, Megawords, Bravewriter

History: My own curriculum with library books and activities for the 1800's and some rabbit trails!

Science: Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology

Geography: BF Geography Through Literature

Plus poetry, Bible, piano, etc. 

I feel like we should start a foreign language but the thought totally stressed me out! lol I feel like our plate is already too full and I don't want to add more to our schedule.

For 6th grade we’ll do:

Math - Precalculus (maybe Derek Owens or Math Mammoth)

Science - Exploration Education

Language - Lifepacs Spanish 1 (he’s doing it orally with older siblings this year, I’ll have him fill in the workbook for 6th grade)

Language Arts - Writing with Skill 1, Vocabulary Workshop

History - Story of the World 3 (audiobook with younger siblings)

Language Arts: R&S English 7, Writing with Skill 2, list of American lit books

History: All-American History Vols. 1 and 2.  Or maybe just Vol. 1, still working this out

Science: GH Chemistry in the Kitchen along with big sister, Agriscience, various living science books, nature study, probably some assorted Outschool classes

Foreign Language: Second Form Latin, Breaking the French Barrier 2

Other: Home Ec to go along with Chemistry in the Kitchen, hopefully P.E. at co-op

Lots of 4-H activities: Gardening, Agronomy, Entomology, Range Management, Forestry, Conservation & Wildlife, Livestock Judging, Showing cattle

After discussing this more with my child, we decided he will just be doing Vol. 1 of All-American History.  He's fascinated by Thomas Jefferson, Lewis and Clark, Native Americans, and mountain men, so I am building a nice stack of books from our shelves that he'll be able to work his way through.  Plus they may be offering a class on Lewis & Clark at our homeschool co-op next year :)

• Like 1

Hmm. Hopefully I am not missing anything, but next year, The Boys will be in 6th grade and have the following courses

...that I will be facilitating:

US History -- America: A Narrative History and African Americans: A Concise History they'll use both series simultaneously vol 1 and vol 2.

Japanese I -- FSI Beginning Japanese Part 1 and Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication and ~50 hours of Native Media. This is the most tentative thing on the schedule so far. I know that we will do Japanese, but I don't know what we will use, but it'll be a home grown course that I'm facilitiating NOT teaching, and we want communication skills first so we'll be putting together various resources to meet our needs.

...that I will be teaching directly.

Mathematics -- *PRIMARY* Advanced Engineering Mathematics  and *SECONDARY* Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics. I'm probably the most excited about math this year,

Tech. Ed -- Python programming, and Networking; home grown courses that I'm going to be teaching directly.

Ciencias en Español -- Don't have a textbook yet, but basically whatever middle or high school text I can get 2 of at a good price and reading assignments from various sources.

• Like 1

Math - AOPS finish Algebra and start Geometry

English - WWS 1, Vocab from Classical Roots, various reading books, Finish Reading and Reasoning 1, MCT Grammar of Literature

Science - RSO Biology 2

History - Not sure. Younger DD is doing SOTW Ancients, Older DD is doing History of the Ancient World, so he will do some of both? Whatever fits best? Maybe outline some Kingfisher? I have Human Odyssey too, but I don't think he'd enjoy it much.

Art - Artistic Pursuits with sisters

Computers - Java Programming: thinking of using Simply Coding's course with books. Also, 4-H Python Programming club

Logic - The Basics of Critical Thinking

Latin - Lively Latin 2? Maybe switch to Visual Latin. He liked the sample, but I didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Saxon math 7/6

Saxon grammar 6

John H. Tiner for science, his choice of book, currently undecided.

We've been watching, yet not completing any assignments for Dave Raymond's American history. Will probably continue with that.

Visual Latin, maybe.

My 6th grader will be doing:

History/literature/church history: Tapestry of Grace Year 1 (Ancients) dialectic level. Shee might join an online Tapestry literature co-op; we are trying it out this week.

Art history: We study art history in our morning time alongside our history chronology. We look at art from a big coffee table book we have and then I ask a couple questions from this list to get a discussion going.

Geography: maps from Tapestry and Draw Africa and Draw Asia books to learn to draw those two continents by heart. Over this next 4 year cycle we are aiming to learn to draw the world.

Math: Finish MEP 5, then move into AoPS Pre-algebra mid-year using textbook and the free videos. I still have her practice math facts with Reflex Math.

Spelling: All About Spelling Finish Level 4, move into 5 (we started spelling late as I pulled her out of school in 2nd grade)

Grammar/Vocab/Poetry: MCT Voyage Level. We regularly read poetry in our morning time.

Writing: Classical Composition whatever comes after Narrative. We use this alongside MCT

Science: RSO Biology 2 at home with microscope labs (I am SO excited for this!). We also do monthly homeschool science classes at our local nature center.

Hands-on Art: I am going to build my own art plan connected to ancient history. We will aim to do 6-7 full art projects throughout the year. Some we will do through videos (You Tube, Craftsy classes, etc.) and some we will outsource. For instance, we will focus on clay for maybe 2 months and do some clay work at home with coil pots, slab vases, etc. and then go to a local pottery studio and use the potter's wheel. If anyone has done this sort of piecemeal art that loosely connects to the history chronology, please speak up as I'd love resources, blog posts, ideas, etc. (We are taking a classical drawing class via Craftsy right now and it is excellent!)

Logic: Undecided, but we read Fallacy Detective this year. Logic has been her favorite subject this year.

Typing: She is using Dance Mat now, but next year will need something beyond that.

Music: Homeschool choir through a local co-op. We regularly listen to Classics for Kids podcasts as part of our morning time which has fostered an enjoyment of classical music in all of us.

Electives: Still deciding, but she is interested in advanced sewing that moves beyond the couple of beginner's classes she's already taken (anybody know of any *great* video courses for intermediate sewing at a kids' level??), Spanish (we used Excelerate Spanish at home this year), Latin (she loves vocab so this might be of interest), she would like to help design costumes for a play if we can find a theater company that would let her help.

STEM Enrichment: Both my kids will participate on a Destination Imagination (used to be called Odyssey of the Mind) team. This year they did as well and they worked on the scientific challenge and likely will do the scientific challenge again next year.

Extracurricular: she is a mother's helper two mornings per month to a toddler and preschooler, she wants to be on the puppet/drama team at church which is a significant commitment and a social homeschool co-op. We were over committed this year and I promised my kids to better protect our schedule next year. We love having flexibility to go on field trips and work at a leisurely pace because we are doing a little bit all the time and not chasing around town from activity to activity.

Math- AOPS Algebra

LA- Book of choice and report, megawords, typing instructor.

History- STOW Early Modern

Foreign Language- German Rosetta Stone

Science - at our ALE

Art- Artistic pursuits 

Other- Volleyball, Cycling Club, Guitar Lessons, Drama 

From the other thread:

My plan for next year:

Reading Comp - MGHT w/ novel lists

Spelling - MGHT Spelling

Grammar - Our Mother Tongue & MGHLA  Write Source Grade 6

Writing - abbreviated version of Creative Writer Bk 1 for the 1st semester & assignments based off of MGHLA (personal narratives, compare/contrast, etc) for the 2nd semester. Research papers will be assigned from science, history, & civics  and Write Source Grade 6

Math - AoPS Prealgebra

Science - Apologia General Science

History - History Revealed (Ancient Civilizations)

Foreign Language - Spanish. We're starting a formal Spanish curriculum next year. We'll be using McGraw Hill Spanish Beginning Grammar.

Art - Local art class or co-op

Music - either continue with concert band or switch to guitar

PE - Hiking/Backpacking/Wilderness Survival, swimming, tennis, softball, basketball, soccer, & regular calisthenics

Independent Studies - Cake Decorating (I'm not really sure what this is going to look like, but she really wants to do it.)  It's looking as though making this an actual thing is squashing her desire to do it, so I'm going to let this be on her own.

Intro to Communications - After looking at some course syllabi for communications classes, I think I'm going to create my own which will involve public speaking (speech class at co-op), logic & debate (The Fallacy Detective, It Couldn't Just Happen, The Case for Christmas, Case for Creation), some listening comprehension skill work, and computer literacy (typing, computer presentations, email, etc).

Civics - iCivics

CLE Math & Reading

FLL 3 & WWE 3 (I'm combining her with her younger sister) --also adding The Creative Writer

Pentime

Biblioplan with SOTW as our spine (we're in book 3 and will move to book 4 mid-year)

Memoria Press Greek Myths study (along with 3rd grader)

Elemental Biology

First Form Latin

Getting Started with Spanish

Logic Countdown/Liftoff/Orbiting books

Artpac, The Story of the Orchestra, piano practice, picture/composer studies, singing (hymn, folk song, Spanish song, etc.)

Spelling - Rod and Staff finish 5 start 6 

Grammar - Rod and Staff finish 5 start 6 (may listen in on some MCT with younger brother).

Writing - Writing and Rhetoric Book 4, Some of WWS1

Handwriting- Italic Science book and DWN book with some specialty paper to work on spacing between words. 

Math - Finish Singapore 6, start Dolciani Pre-Algebra, Finish Beast

Science - Holt Earth Science

History/Geography/Lit - TOG Year 1 with SOTW Audiobooks

Foreign Language - Finish GSWL and GSWS

Art - Hopefully a drawing class

Music - Cello

PE - Tap

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my plan so far for 6th grade:

Math: Finish MUS Pre-Algebra and possibly start working slowly through Lial's Algebra 1 

History/Lit/Geography: TOG Year 2

Grammar: MCT Voyage

Writing: WriteShop F 

Spelling: MegaWords 3 and 4

Science: Elemental Science for the Logic Stage Chemistry (Her older brother is doing high school chemistry and I want to combine some things.)

Foreign Language: Continue with Duolingo or possibly start a Spanish curriculum

Art: I want to use Atelier again for this arty child, but it's so expensive. I might just use free online resources.

Music: Either continue with Hoffman Academy or see if she can do band at the local middle school

PE: Gymnastics and/or dance

This thread made me chuckle a little. I had to double check the title of the thread, thinking I misread it -  must be upper middle school,  not 6th grade. Wow, lots of strong math kids! 

English:  Rod and Staff 6

Science and History: MFW guidance,  although will not focus too much on the reformation, but more on Byzantium-  Orthodox perspective. 

Math:We are moving into SM 6A and are slated to finish 6B before Christmas. I have Dolciani Pre-Algebra polished and ready to go. 

Spelling: Continue with Rod and Staff ...book 6 in the fall   or return to Spalding (had used them years ago) or try Spelling Wisdom.

Writing:  We will stop at lesson 18 in WWE4 next month and resume to finish by Christmas... then onto WWS1. I just love Bauer 's writing books. Tried others and always see the greatest writing growth with her books.

Latin: We  are finishing up MP Latina Christiana. Thinking about switching to Classical Academic Press...never used them before.

Outside sports, theological, and music activities.  

• Like 1

Any curriculum ideas for astronomy and human anatomy that is NOT Apologia or the like?  This year we had used Science in the Beginning and struggled with the format of the lessons. Two years ago we had used BFSU and loved it, but I don't want to put the time in like I had - I have another child I am formally starting in the fall. I love both of these subjects (i.e. astronomy and human anatomy) and would love to use  solid and interesting curricula. 

On 3/6/2018 at 2:32 PM, FarmingMomma said:

Language Arts: R&S English 7, Writing with Skill 2 Second half of WWS 1.  He's about half way through 1 now, no point in rushing it.  List of American lit books

History: All-American History Vols. 1 and 2.  Or maybe just Vol. 1, still working this out  Vol. 1 and lots of reading and activities focused on Lewis & Clark and Mountain Men

Science: GH Chemistry in the Kitchen along with big sister (Just the main science books, not the extras), Agriscience, various living science books, nature study, probably some assorted Outschool classes.  Keeping a naturalist's notebook like Lewis and Clark all year.

Foreign Language: Second Form Latin, Breaking the French Barrier 2  Middle school French online with Global Goose Languages

Other: Cooking to go along with Chemistry in the Kitchen, Outdoor adventures and survival skills (going along with our L&C and Mountain man theme).  Lots of hunting, fishing, trapping, shelter building, etc. 

Lots of 4-H activities: Gardening, Agronomy, Entomology, Range Management, Forestry, Conservation & Wildlife, Livestock Judging, Showing cattle, Lego Robotics

DD (will be 11)

Jacobs Algebra-excited for this one. Looks fun!

Latin Prep 1

BYL 6 for lit and US History

Mix of MCT Voyage, going to try GFTWTM, Vocabulary from Classical Roots

Life Science at co-op along with stem/robotics and drawing/painting

We did WWS1 through WTMA this year, I’ve got WWS2 ready to go...something is telling me to try something else for next year. She tolerated, but didn’t love WWS. I’m thinking maybe try W&R 7?

Wish I could find something awesome and secular for logic

15+ hours a week of competitive dance, piano at home with mom. 

I am still tweaking, but this is what I have so far. 

Bible Bowl (Old Testament Heroes)

Math Mammoth 6

Language Arts: MegaWords 5-6, BW, IEW Fix It Grammar Book 3, Reading and Reasoning level 2

History: BP year 4 or World Geography

Science: Education Exploration Physical Science and FIRST LEGO League

Spanish: Middlebury Interactive (or???? I see a foreign language being difficult for him so maybe something a little less?)

Extras: piano and tennis

On 3/6/2018 at 2:18 PM, strawberryjam said:

History: Human Odyssey

Spelling: All About Spelling 

Writing: Voyages in English (Loyola)

Science: CPO Middle - finishing Earth and starting Life

Math: CLE

Foreign language: Fluent Forever and "Wilkommen in Deutschland" workbooks and website ("Welcome to Germany")

Grammar: Voyages in English (Loyola)

@strawberryjam Welches Buch? https://www.amazon.com/Das-Übungsheft-Willkommen-Deutschland-Zweitsprache/dp/3619141614 ? And which website?

Math: AoPS Algebra, hopefully Mathcounts

Logic: Orbiting with Logic 

Grammar: ???

Vocabulary: Vocabulary from Classical Roots B

Writing: Writing with Skill 2

Science: Debating between having her take a middle school science class through a co-op or doing Elemental Science's Chemistry for the Logic Stage; Science Olympiad

History: Maybe History Odyssey Late Renaissance/Early Modern? It's been a bit more time intensive than I really like

Geography: Draw Asia Volume II

Fine Arts: private and group piano lessons, Classics for Kids, choir, maybe Artistic Pursuits? 

Foreign Language: IDK. Waiting to see if my kid has graduated speech therapy (finally) in the fall before trying this again, as it was a disaster last go around - just working on gentle exposure through music and movies

Physical Education: Hiking, yoga, running, and hopefully some low key sports through the park district yet to be determined

Electives: Applied Technology class