Menu

Assistance needed - how to make soup less spicy?

Help! I made some chicken tortilla soup, and instead of using diced tomatoes and a small can of green chilis, I used rotel. Wow, this stuff is really hot! I think it might have eaten the glaze off the crock pot! Ingredients are chicken, diced tomatoes (rotel now), frozen corn, chicken broth, cilantro (less than half the amount called for), chopped onion. So, how can I cut the spiciness of the soup? Add water? Pull off the liquid and add chicken broth to fill it back up? Add more tomatoes? Pour it down the garage disposal and start again?

TIA!

Help! I made some chicken tortilla soup, and instead of using diced tomatoes and a small can of green chilis, I used rotel. Wow, this stuff is really hot! I think it might have eaten the glaze off the crock pot! Ingredients are chicken, diced tomatoes (rotel now), frozen corn, chicken broth, cilantro (less than half the amount called for), chopped onion. So, how can I cut the spiciness of the soup? Add water? Pull off the liquid and add chicken broth to fill it back up? Add more tomatoes? Pour it down the garage disposal and start again?

TIA!

Make it a cheesy soup. Do you have heavy cream or half and half? If so, use up to 1 1/2 cups of that and 3/4 cup of either jack or cheddar cheese. (Or mix the two.) Milk if you don't have cream.

Also, if you have any more tomatoes, I'd stir in as much as 2/3 cup more of those to alter the ratio of tomato to chilis.

TIA!

I would pull off the liquid and add 1 part chicken broth to 2 parts water. The chicken will have absorbed enough of the flavor from the Rotel and cilantro that you should not need any additional seasoning.

I would not add more tomatoes....unless you just like lots of tomatoes....or unless you decide to remove the tomatoes. They should be ok (spice wise) unless you used a can of Rotel Hot...let me tell ya...that stuff is HOT!!!

Make it a cheesy soup. Do you have heavy cream or half and half? If so, use up to 1 1/2 cups of that and 3/4 cup of either jack or cheddar cheese. (Or mix the two.) Milk if you don't have cream.

Also, if you have any more tomatoes, I'd stir in as much as 2/3 cup more of those to alter the ratio of tomato to chilis.

I would either do this, or allow a large amount of the liquid to boil off, cook up some rice, and serve my stew-formerly-known-as-soup over a large pile of rice. Mixing the rice with the stew will cut the spiciness (even though boiling off all of the liquid will concentrate the spiciness in the stew/ soup itself).

I would take some of the liquid out and replace it with cream. Then I would serve it over rice. If it is still too spicy, you can add an extra dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream on top.

This is what I do with curries when I don't want it to be too spicy. It kind of works the same way coconut milk does in real south Indian/Sri Lankan/Thai curries. In Sri Lanka is common to have a dish of curd or yogurt on the table for anyone who wants to help themselves.