Menu

ancestry dna -

gardenmom5

and the number of people who have NO ONE in their tree!!!!!!!

what is the point of doing their ancestry dna is there is NO ONE in their TREE?????

I have found a couple hopeful leads on dead end lines . . . . and a bunch of people I can see how the relationship is with hardly even looking.

Maybe they received the kit as a gift?

And while I have a decent sized tree, my point of doing DNA would be for fun, not to find more connections. I know where my g- and gg- grandparents came from. While there may be surprises further back (I recently discovered I a gg-grandfather was Russo-Carpathian), I won't find the connection from that to what I already know. The information I am interested in is from eastern Europe. Those countries do not have access to the kits, so I won't find relatives located in those countries. While I would likely find a few 4th cousins here (does it go that far back?), they will not have the information from those countries that I want. But I'd still like to do my DNA!

I help people find their biological families using autosomal DNA testing and genealogy. The vast majority of people who test do so to see their ethnicity results and have no interest in genealogy or finding family. In fact, it is recommended that those searching for family NOT contact matches until they've been thoroughly investigated because some will delete their results rather than help an adoptee or someone searching for an unknown father. Often, you can figure out someone's family tree based on their username and the shared matches. Newspaper archives, social media, people search sites, and just plain google can give a good picture when trying to figure out how people relate. Some people have very basic family trees that make it easier to trace them back and find the common ancestor.

Ancestry almost doubled their number of kits sold this Christmas season. As those results come in over the next few months, expect many more of those matches with no trees as people who got them as gifts for Christmas get added to the database.

ETA: also, some people don't know that they can connect their DNA to their tree, so always go to their profile to see if they have a tree but just don't have the DNA attached. The list of matches pages only shows a tree if they actually attached their DNA.

You can also download your raw data and upload it to FamilyTreeDNA, MyHeritage, and GEDmatch for free. That puts you in all the major databases besides 23andme. Ancestry and 23andme are the only ones who don't allow transfers.

Edited by Kathryn
  • Like 3

Just means none of your relatives who would otherwise show up have done the test yet. I haven't bothered since via Ancestry.com I have dug up almost two thousand folks already. I have had even more luck finding leads in the few branches where others have already done the work (heck, one branch I am hooked into via a great-grandma has thousands of members having yearly conventions! Oh them Ogles! They even publish a quarterly magazine, too!) My Felt relations have already done a lot of research, too.

I do have a cousin on a different branch who is the last in the male line of Hoods that were in Roane Co, TN 150 (or more) years ago. There are so many Hoods in the records then, though, that I NEED him to do the test to figure out which "stem" of Hoods we branched from, if that makes sense. Maybe if I offer to pay for it....

My current project is trying to find info to fill a gap between my great-great grandpa in Sussex Co, Delaware (his farm even shows up on a map from 1868!) and the first Fishers who came over with Wm Penn. A thorough history was done, complete with visits to Eng., by an academic but she ended her work about 100 years BEFORE my gggpa shows up. She shows Penn giving the land gggpa was on to Fisher ... but which if the first Fisher's many sons or grandsons (etc) is my branch of the tree?

Doesn't help that everyone used the same few first names for their sons, either! I do get a kick out of all the Hercules in the Ogle tree, though! Why don't we use that name any longer? ;-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

This reminds me I need to contact some DNA matches on FTDNA today; I've found five relatives who all share a particular DNA segment with my grandmother, which should mean they all have a common ancestor. If I could figure out who that ancestor is I would know they are my ancestor too!

These are all Swedish relatives and our Swedish line is the one I haven't been able to trace at all yet.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

You can also download your raw data and upload it to FamilyTreeDNA, MyHeritage, and GEDmatch for free. That puts you in all the major databases besides 23andme. Ancestry and 23andme are the only ones who don't allow transfers.

Ok, this is cool. I didn't know you could do transfers to the other gene/heritage sites....

• Like 1

Ok, this is cool. I didn't know you could do transfers to the other gene/heritage sites....

This is a good post outlining what you can transfer where: http://thednageek.com/whats-new-in-autosomal-dna-transfers/

Also, because Ancestry is not good at accurately telling customers the possible relationships for a given amount of DNA, this is an excellent tool. You just input the amount of centimorgans you share with your match, and it gives you the possible relationships and their probabilities. https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

• Like 4

This is a good post outlining what you can transfer where: http://thednageek.com/whats-new-in-autosomal-dna-transfers/

Also, because Ancestry is not good at accurately telling customers the possible relationships for a given amount of DNA, this is an excellent tool. You just input the amount of centimorgans you share with your match, and it gives you the possible relationships and their probabilities. https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4

Thanks. That chart is showing what I found as I fiddled with it, that the transfers don't work if you have the newest versions of the data from 23andme. :( Any word on the street on when that will change? The GEDMatch Genesis worked, but not the others.

Thanks. That chart is showing what I found as I fiddled with it, that the transfers don't work if you have the newest versions of the data from 23andme. :( Any word on the street on when that will change? The GEDMatch Genesis worked, but not the others.

Ah, yes, the newest chip from 23andme is not compatible with most sites. There's been no word on when that will change. If you test with Ancestry, that one test will allow you to get into all the other sites. You can often find Ancestry tests on eBay from reputable longtime sellers for $40.

• Like 1

Maybe they received the kit as a gift?

And while I have a decent sized tree, my point of doing DNA would be for fun, not to find more connections. I know where my g- and gg- grandparents came from. While there may be surprises further back (I recently discovered I a gg-grandfather was Russo-Carpathian), I won't find the connection from that to what I already know. The information I am interested in is from eastern Europe. Those countries do not have access to the kits, so I won't find relatives located in those countries. While I would likely find a few 4th cousins here (does it go that far back?), they will not have the information from those countries that I want. But I'd still like to do my DNA!

this is my ancestry dna  - the point for me, was to find the connections for dead end lines.  I have two lines I'm hoping to be able to break through, both are great-grandmothers and involve parents dying when a  child was young and ending up raised by someone else - and almost no paperwork to be found connecting them to anyone.  (one I have her mother's family.  the other I have zilch until she marries).  both are here in the states.

Just means none of your relatives who would otherwise show up have done the test yet. I haven't bothered since via Ancestry.com I have dug up almost two thousand folks already. I have had even more luck finding leads in the few branches where others have already done the work (heck, one branch I am hooked into via a great-grandma has thousands of members having yearly conventions! Oh them Ogles! They even publish a quarterly magazine, too!) My Felt relations have already done a lot of research, too.

I do have a cousin on a different branch who is the last in the male line of Hoods that were in Roane Co, TN 150 (or more) years ago. There are so many Hoods in the records then, though, that I NEED him to do the test to figure out which "stem" of Hoods we branched from, if that makes sense. Maybe if I offer to pay for it....

these are dna matches.  they come up as dna matches because they have had their dna tested.   I have 3554 people on my main tree - I still have two direct-ancestor complete dead ends at the 2ndggp level due to early deaths.

I have a 2ndggf who the only thing I know for certain about him is his last name is miller, and he lived in illinois. . . . he was married to my 2nd ggm for <2years before she died.  I have two matches that are most likely my illinois miller line - while they have different information to each other, they probably fit together with complete information. (brothers/cousins)

They may also have a tree but haven't linked their DNA profile to it.

I agree that it is frustrating. I usually go to the in common matches and see if there is anyone there with a tree.

that's possible. . . .    I've ended up only bothering with people with a tree.

I did find my paternal gf's neice. . . . that's a line with whom I've had zero contact.

what I'm finding interesting is almost all the matches I'm finding - are my mother's side.  (except for the 1st cousin once removed on my dad's side. - no, I take that back.  I found one more who may help me punch through a dead end on that side.

• Like 1

I know you're supposed to be able to download 23&me (you can run it through other sites and still transfer it.) - it's still processing.

can you download ancestry?  I'm not seeing anything.   I like how on 23&me you can actually look at the dna. (my dd's is complete)

and ancestry has my niece and nephew as "cousins" - but close family.

I did ancestry for the genealogy - but I'm  not terribly impressed with it's other features.

I know you're supposed to be able to download 23&me (you can run it through other sites and still transfer it.) - it's still processing.

can you download ancestry? I'm not seeing anything. I like how on 23&me you can actually look at the dna. (my dd's is complete)

and ancestry has my niece and nephew as "cousins" - but close family.

I did ancestry for the genealogy - but I'm not terribly impressed with it's other features.

Yes, you can download ancestry DNA. I'm thinking it is under settings when you are in a DNA profile? Don't have my computer in front of me at the moment but let me know if you can't find it and I will walk you through when I have it in front of me.

• Like 1

Ok, I just looked on my phone. If I click the little gear image at the top it takes me to DNA settings. There is an option to download raw data.

From there you can upload to the other sites that have chromosome browsers and additional useful features.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

this is my ancestry dna - the point for me, was to find the connections for dead end lines. I have two lines I'm hoping to be able to break through, both are great-grandmothers and involve parents dying when a child was young and ending up raised by someone else - and almost no paperwork to be found connecting them to anyone. (one I have her mother's family. the other I have zilch until she marries). both are here in the states.

these are dna matches. they come up as dna matches because they have had their dna tested. I have 3554 people on my main tree - I still have two direct-ancestor complete dead ends at the 2ndggp level due to early deaths.

I have a 2ndggf who the only thing I know for certain about him is his last name is miller, and he lived in illinois. . . . he was married to my 2nd ggm for <2years before she died. I have two matches that are most likely my illinois miller line - while they have different information to each other, they probably fit together with complete information. (brothers/cousins)

that's possible. . . . I've ended up only bothering with people with a tree.

I did find my paternal gf's neice. . . . that's a line with whom I've had zero contact.

what I'm finding interesting is almost all the matches I'm finding - are my mother's side. (except for the 1st cousin once removed on my dad's side. - no, I take that back. I found one more who may help me punch through a dead end on that side.

Since you're looking for more distant ancestors, it would be helpful if you had access to older generations on those lines test. For instance, my husband's 2G-grandfather was unknown. Since his father has twice the DNA my husband has on that line, testing my father-in-law yielded closer matches to that unknown line and enabled me to more accurately predict the relationships, leading me to who the unknown ancestor was. Even if a direct-line ancestor isn't able to test, an aunt/uncle or great-aunt/uncle helps also.

• Like 1

One ancestry.com feature that has been useful to me is the DNA communities/regions (can't remember if that is exactly what they call it).

Within my grandma's matches I can search for only those that have DNA fitting into the "Southern Sweden" or "Western Svealand" profile groups she matches with; this helps me narrow down those matches that may be on her Swedish line.

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

Since you're looking for more distant ancestors, it would be helpful if you had access to older generations on those lines test. For instance, my husband's 2G-grandfather was unknown. Since his father has twice the DNA my husband has on that line, testing my father-in-law yielded closer matches to that unknown line and enabled me to more accurately predict the relationships, leading me to who the unknown ancestor was. Even if a direct-line ancestor isn't able to test, an aunt/uncle or great-aunt/uncle helps also.

would be nice - but I have no contact with any older generations on either line.  my paternal grandfather was a louse - and was married five times.  If I could connect with the children from his last wife (who are younger than my husband!)  my mother met them once in the 60's - that could be helpful.   there is a 1st cousin (has to be in her 70's or even 80's) of my father on that side who has a tree, so I'm hopeful something could come from that.

• Like 1

That's like my grandma's Swedish line--her mother was the only child of a marriage that lasted only a few months. She was born after her father died.

yeah.  my ggm, was seven months old when her mother died. so they had to have been married less than two years. in the rural midwest farming communities in the 1870's.  her father gave her to her maternal grandparents to raise in a different state, and went and married someone else and had a whole other family.

I don't even know how they met.  2ggm was from missouri, and 2ggf was from illinois.   ggm was born in illinois and I grew up hearing stories how (my grandmother's) "aunt susan" went to fetch her back.

• Like 1

An odd question--is there a site that shows intersecting people? So showing how John Jones is related to Mary Jones? As you can tell, I'm a newbie!

I'm trying to connect a relative to a well-known person. Same last name, same birth year!

With Ancestry.com, everyone who takes a DNA test can attach their DNA to their family tree. Then, you are also matched with everyone else who's tested whose DNA matches yours. If they have also attached their DNA to their tree and you both have the same ancestors in your trees, Ancestry will alert you with a "Shared Ancestor Hint" and show you the path through each of you to your common ancestor. You can also subscribe to Ancestry's databases to access information from the records that they've digitized and indexed and add those togour tree as well.

• Like 2

I was looking for info NOT through the dna analysis, but just going through records. I'm probably in the wrong thread! A newbie, as I said.

If you send me a pm with the info you have and what you are looking for I will take a look at the records and trees on ancestry.

An odd question--is there a site that shows intersecting people? So showing how John Jones is related to Mary Jones? As you can tell, I'm a newbie!

I'm trying to connect a relative to a well-known person. Same last name, same birth year!

I've had to do that.   there are people with the same first name, last name, birth year, birth place. . .

If you send me a pm with the info you have and what you are looking for I will take a look at the records and trees on ancestry.

you can send me a pm too.   it's good to do other people's work on occasion - it can be refreshing.

• Like 2