Menu

Crazy house development

Scarlett

So, my parents have an extra lot, not next to them but one more lot down. They will let us build there. We have been out there measuring, and the neighbor next to the lot ( in between my parents house and empty lot) know we are going to build. Their shop sits 1 foot on to our lot.....Dh has been working on figuring out if we can build there without that building coming down. And I knew my parents would not want to insist on that. The neighbors also have a fence 13 feet onto our lot which they have acknowledge they know will have to be moved. They have been very nice and agreeable.

Out of the blue they ask my dad if he wants to buy their place. And the price is unbelievable. To the point that no matter what it needs it is worth it. We are going to look at it tomorrow.....but we are pretty sure we are going to do it. It is only a 2 bedroom 2 bath 1200'sf house. We think we will build on a master suite and it will work for us. And my dad said we can still have the lot....so we don't have to worry about the property line....

It creates some problems, but solves others. I didn't want to remodel again, but we will have plenty of cash to make it like we want and hire it done.

Crazy chamge of plans.

• Like 43

Can you get the new bigger 2-lots subdivided differently so if you ever decide to sell the "extra lot" you won't have to worry about being over the line?

Well, Dh says the building will eventually need to come down. It is poorly placed ( in addition to being one foot over the line it is also too close to the house). We would build a shop on the second lot. Placed so that a house could someday still be built on that lot.

• Like 7

So I went to look at it with my parents. Dh couldn't go today.....it has 2 small bedrooms added on in addition to the two original bedrooms. 2 bathrooms. Completely remodeled inside. Nothing high end, but nice. The kitchen has beautiful dark grey wood look plank tiles.....the cabinets and counter tops have not had anything done to them, but I instantly pictured painting the cabinets white with coordinating countertop and backsplash.....they are a young couple, no pets and smoke free home.

It has a new dark brown metal roof and the siding is paints a horrible baby poop brown which she was quick to let me know they didn't paint.....but it is just paint and a lot colors will go with that dark brown.

• Like 7

Huh, that sounds like a wonderful turn of events, baby poop brown color aside :lol:

I am super excited for you. So this means the lot you were considering for the home plan you showed us is not going to happen? Or is it that lot with their home and fence intruding onto it?

It is the same lot. So either we won't build or we will build after we take care of the boundary issues and take that building down.
  • Like 2

I kept reading this title as "Crazy Horse development" and thought it was about the construction of the monument in South Dakota.  I read the whole thread twice, trying to tie the title to the thread.  Sheesh.

In other news, that is exciting!  Sounds like it will really work out!

• Like 2

So I had a a lot of time to think about this house deal last night since I couldn't sleep for hours.

It isn't as light as I would like. My current house is flooded with natural light. The owners had the blinds pulled shut though so maybe it is not as bad as it seemed.

Walk straight into a living room kitchen combo. LV on the left, kitchen on the right. No place for shoes.....I have decided the kids have to take their shoes off at the door and take to their room. Well us too.. It has a fair amount of carpet and it needs to be a no shoes house anyway. It has a big covered porch so maybe I can find something pretty to keep on the front porch for shoes. Any ideas?

The kitchen isn't small but not really big enough for our table even with the leaf removed. No other eating area. And no way to add it on. The only thing we can do is take out a small bar to make a little more room for a table. This will leave some floor under a cabinet that won't have the new grey tile, it it is only two years old so I am hopeful I can find some to match. I think I will get a new table...it has a wall that a drop down table could attach to but that doesn't solve the problem of the chairs when not in use.

No room for my beautiful new China hutch. So I have to find room for the things I have in it.

Although the grey tile and grey carpet is pretty.....nothing I own is grey tones. But most of what we own needs to be replaced......I do have a couple of nice area rugs in brown tone.....but there won't be room for them anyway....

Smaller.....maybe 1400 SF....currently have over 1900

The good things.....

completely mortgage free.

It is move in ready.

Much less yard to mow.

No pool to care for. This is also a negative because I will miss our pool.

Next door to my parents. But they have a big shop in between us, so not looking in the Windows close.

Boys bedrooms are on the opposite side of the house from our bedroom.

We will have a dedicated guest room. No more need for Ds move out of his room whenever we have guests.

15 minutes closer to everything.

Buying this house is the best way to handle the problem of the building being on the property line of the empty lot. If we own it we can take the building down. If we take it down while we own it there won't be a problem for whoever wants to build next door. Maybe us maybe someone else.

• Like 2

But is it really move-in ready if it’s too small and the layout isn’t great? The lack of a good eating area would be a dealbreaker for me, and that’s not the only issue.

It sounds like there are some pretty big negatives.

Saving money is nice, but you have to be happy there, too, or it may not be worth the financial advantage.

Cat, it isn't my dream house, that is for sure. But is is plesant, on a lovely street, my parents next door, and mortgage free. We will live there a while and see how we feel. It isn't like we have to stay there the rest of our lives. But it is such a good deal, we could literally buy it, take the building down and sell it for a profit.

• Like 7

When we thought we would build on that lot we were going to sell our current house and rent for 6 months. Rent would be from 1200 to 1500 per month. This way if we decide to build we can live next door to the build and feel confident we can sell the house we are buying now for a profit.

• Like 7

Didn’t you have an issue with your current home with having plans to renovate and it never being done? Or maybe it was partially renovated and never finished? I can’t remember specifics. If the new house needs renovations, I would really consider whether or not you are going to get those done if it’s been an issue before.

Didn’t you have an issue with your current home with having plans to renovate and it never being done? Or maybe it was partially renovated and never finished? I can’t remember specifics. If the new house needs renovations, I would really consider whether or not you are going to get those done if it’s been an issue before.

New house is move in ready. Nothing to be done but to change the exterior paint color.

Our current house has been almost 6 years of renovations that we almost 100% did ourselves and cash flowed. Although that is the reason we have no mortgage, I don't want to do that again.

• Like 1

Hmm.... lots of benefits in favor of the existing house. I’d probably only do it if I could still build my dream house though. I prize customization too much :p

What are you leaning toward?

The only thing I prize more than a new house is being debt free. I do lean toward living there a bit, getting the property lines straightened out, and then just being still for a bit to see how it feels. I think if we do build after living in the existing house for a couple of years we will go,with a smaller plan than we first imagined. Plus this will give us time to work on the lot as far as building a garage and getting the dirt work ready.

We are not far from being empty nesters. Ds plans to get a 4 year degree.... And Dss at most will do a 2 year degree in culinary arts. Which is 3 years from now.

• Like 4

Cat, it isn't my dream house, that is for sure. But is is plesant, on a lovely street, my parents next door, and mortgage free. We will live there a while and see how we feel. It isn't like we have to stay there the rest of our lives. But it is such a good deal, we could literally buy it, take the building down and sell it for a profit.

In that case, it’s definitely worth it! :hurray:

Since your parents are right next door, that makes it worth it to try to make this a permanent home if you can. Is there a logical and attractive way to add on to the new house in the future to enlarge the eating area of the kitchen? It sounds like the lack of a dining room or large eat-in area of the kitchen is the major negative of the house. I like your idea of converting the “shoe room†into a cute little office for yourself. I think that could turn out very nice — I read a book once where women converted different sized closets into offices and craft studios, and I just loved the way they looked!

In that case, it’s definitely worth it! :hurray:

Since your parents are right next door, that makes it worth it to try to make this a permanent home if you can. Is there a logical and attractive way to add on to the new house in the future to enlarge the eating area of the kitchen? It sounds like the lack of a dining room or large eat-in area of the kitchen is the major negative of the house. I like your idea of converting the “shoe room†into a cute little office for yourself. I think that could turn out very nice — I read a book once where women converted different sized closets into offices and craft studios, and I just loved the way they looked!

Dh hasn't been in it yet. But I don't really think so. It is just a little cottage and doesn't lend itself to some big remodel. We would be much better off to do a few small things to it, take down the building that is on the empty lot and then sell it for a profit in a couple of years.

My parents had it surveyed and my Dh ran a chalk line from corner to corner and their fence lines are out of bounds on both sides of the property. Plus as I have mentioned a little shop is one and a half foot on the empty lot. So when you walk up and see how far in from their fence the actual property line is it is I am sure very disheartening for them. I will say the dad also had it surveyed when he bought it....,so he is not surprised by this. I think he bought a house for his son and DIL to live in while the son finishes college and hoped the empty house on the corner stayed empty. But my parents bought it and so that is that.

• Like 2

This is wonderful news!! Yay!!

A long term financial option . . . 

You could build your "dream home" next door after your boys are up and out . . . 

Then you could keep your current "great deal" house and turn it into a rental. Maximum bedrooms is always a good money maker for rentals. Living next door will make it easy to manage. Great source of retirement income . . . and you can cash it out "whenever". Consider current tax laws when you sell it, as if you'll have a big profit on sale, it might be worth making sure you retain your qualification for primary home sale tax exclusion. 

• Like 2

Well guys I took my husband to look at it tonight and the young couple answered the door and said we could see it but they aren't selling right now. Of course they don't own it, his parents do....so,we will see what his dad says when he gets back to town in a week.

They seemed super stressed about the timing because he has a year of school left.

We will wait to talk to the dad....but I had the idea of buying it now and renting it to the kids up for a year.

• Like 2

I would store my table and China cabinet. I would not tear out the bar, but live with it as is for awhile first. How many does the bar seat?

(Not that you asked for opinions, lol. )

The bar is very small. Sort of a tear drop, curved area. It might seat 2 but I doubt it. It just juts out in the kitchen taking up space.

• Like 1

That is wonderful, congratulations!

Edit... wow, the young couple seems blindsided. That's happened a lot around here lately. :( Your solution seems kind. I'm eternally grateful to the many people who rented to us under market value. I wish them well every day in my head. It would be a great gift to them. Plus, even with low rent, that would finance the repairs.

Edited by Tsuga

Well we would have the blessing of my parents loaning us the cash to buy the house so even if we pay them interest ( which they won't want but we will insist) we will still get enough from rent to pay the taxes and yes make a few changes. But still the unknown is when can we sell ou house and if we sell before they can get out where do we go? we might have to rent for a while too. ....

I really just feel like either my parents or we need to own that house long term because it is a little cottage that could definitely attract a bad element. Dh still wants to build next door to it, but I am not sure. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before that cottage could sell for very little and who knows who might end up living there.

And before anyone gets all upset with me I know not all renters are bad neighbors.

It almost seems like the kids were complaining about the fence lines being moved and squeezing in on them. He has vehicles and a boat on the empty lot. And maybe the dad was just like ' well to heck with it, I will just sell it.' Because when we first walked down to look at it the kids seemed totally shocked. Then an hour later, it was like he had talked to his dad.....and then the next day the young girl was texting me saying her MIL was saying maybe not 'right now'.

And last night the young man was quizzing us on the width of the empty lot and how could we build on it...it is wider than he thought and we have a specific narrow plan.....so I think as some one said they have been blindsided.....

Wow, what a mess.

I thought this was basically a done deal. :(

The dad sure made it sound like that when he came down and talked to my dad. Then he promptly left town. My dad texted him and told him Dh and I would be the ones buying it and the man said he would contact me when he gets back in town.

I think there is a big lack,of communication going on in that family. But oh well, it changes not much for us....we are still working our plan to get our current house ready to sell. We have workers starting next week to do a bunch more finish work inside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So when Dh and I looked at the house 2 weeks ago the kids were saying they aren't selling. The dad/owner got back to town last Friday. He had told my dad via text that he would call me when he got back to town. Dh and our boys went over last night and dug some post holes to move the fence. 15 min after they got home my dad got a text from the dad/owner that said ' I am back. I will get our receipts together and get you guys a hard figure. '

I am thinking there is disharmony in that family. But it sounds like the dad has made up his mind to sell.

• Like 1

Well then. I hope the kids don’t do something crazy like vandalize the house in retribution, like a bitter foreclosure! But it sounds like it’s koving your way and I’m really hopeful for you!

I would highly doubt it. The family is an overall nice family. My boss has known them for years. The dad is a former highway patrol who is now doing some FBI work of some sort.

But man, my head is just spinning.....so much to think about. I guess we just need to get our house to the point we can sell it.....and go from there.,,

• Like 2

I got a text at 9 last night from the mother/owner.

'This is Mother Owner. I will be trying to figure out and find receipts for what we have in the house this weekend. '

I just said 'ok. Thank You.'

Interesting isn't it. We are all scratching our heads as to why they feel it necessary to locate receipts.

That is a bit odd, other than that it might have been the only way to leave lines of communication open and they couldn’t think of another thing to say to not make you hang in the death zone of radio silence.

Maybe so.

When the dad first came down and talked to my dad he said he would be willing to sell it for what he has in it. And he said he thought that was about 55k. I confirmed the purchase price 2 years ago was 45k and the work they have done to it is roughly about 10k. It is definitely absolutely worth 55k to us. I would even pay up to 70 for it.....BUT that is because my parents own the property on both sides of it and because we have a plan for dealing with the building that sits on the empty lot ( by one foot). It would not be as easy to get more than 55k out of it from anyone else......

I also suspect they have consulted an attorney and they just don't want the hassle a legal fight could entail.

So.  The weekend came and went with no firm price.  I did get a long and rambling text from Mrs/Mother/homeowner telling me what all they did to the house and that a lot of the remodel/repairs were paid for by one set of grandparents and she had so far been too 'scared' to talk to them about what that dollar figure was...that she was trying to find the kids a different house to buy to soften the blow (to the grandparents I think).

Very very strange. She acts like they are being forced to sell the house.  And maybe indeed the Father/Owner of the house IS forcing it because he believes it to be the best choice for them to sell it to us since my parents own the lots on both sides.

I just said 'thank you for the info.  We look forward to hearing from you.'

• 3 weeks later...

$80,300

That is the price the wife/mom gave us.  I said no. 

My dad contacted her husband....he appeared to not know she had give us that price.  He said he would look into it.  Then she texted me and said they were working on getting the price down.  That was 2 weeks ago. 

Yesterday the young man of the owner told my dad he and his wife don't want to move, that they like it there and they have an application in for a mortgage to buy it from his dad.  

My dad contacted the dad again....and he said, 'it is like herding cats around here.  When did you want to buy or build?  The kids are apprehensive about moving with a year of college left.'

Sigh.  It is driving me nuts.I wish they would just say they changed their mind and don't want to sell.