Menu

Another creepy Big Brother post.

Miss Peregrine

Ds went outside today and was looking at his truck that is just about giving him fits. He can't figure out what's wrong with it. He looked at the tool box mounted in the bed and thought to himself, "I should sell that." He came inside there was an ad on his phone for truck toolboxes on whatever site he was on.

He was really creeped out. Camera maybe? He did have his phone in his hand.

He didn't google the truck model to figure out repair techniques or something?

Ive had some pretty creepy moments like that though.

Probably. This is an aftermarket toolbox that didn't come with the truck originally. I'm sure there's some logical explanation. We just like to speculate about the weirdness. Edited by Miss Peregrine

Probably. This is an aftermarket toolbox that didn't come with the truck originally. I'm sure there's some logical explanation. We just like to speculate about the weirdness.

I had a weird experience where I saw ads for piano lessons after our piano lesson every week. I was ready to swear my phone was listening to the kids lessons until I realised that I had piano lesson in my calendar and Facebook has access to the calendar...

• Like 3

We have an Alexia thingee. You speak to it and it accesses the internet and answers your questions.

I’ve had some paranoid moments in teaching lately, that’s for sure. I don’t like being paranoid, but that thing is listening to us. When I talk about history and civics and governments I feel like I need to be clear that ‘USA is number one!’ so that the FBI doesn’t come banging on my door and arrest me for being a commie or something.

I don’t like it because I’m not a conspiracy theory person...but there’s something disconcerting about knowing that the thing is there, listening. She doesn’t normally activate and talk to us unless we call out her name, but every now and then we must say something that sounds like her name (some string of syllables) and she’ll give us some random bit of information we didn’t ask for.

Blah.

• Like 2

We have an Alexia thingee. You speak to it and it accesses the internet and answers your questions.

I’ve had some paranoid moments in teaching lately, that’s for sure. I don’t like being paranoid, but that thing is listening to us. When I talk about history and civics and governments I feel like I need to be clear that ‘USA is number one!’ so that the FBI doesn’t come banging on my door and arrest me for being a commie or something.

I don’t like it because I’m not a conspiracy theory person...but there’s something disconcerting about knowing that the thing is there, listening. She doesn’t normally activate and talk to us unless we call out her name, but every now and then we must say something that sounds like her name (some string of syllables) and she’ll give us some random bit of information we didn’t ask for.

Blah.

It is disconcerting. The theme of my freshman comp class is fake news, conspiracy theories and hoaxes. I can only imagine what the FBI thinks of my searches for class and the Florida gun thread combined. 😂

• Like 1

I recently shopped for a piece of furniture and took a photo of an item I liked in a furniture store.

After that, I started getting pop up ads on fb and safari for very similar items ( size, shape, unique color). I had never searched the web for such an item in my device. All I can think is that fb has access to my photos.

• Like 1

While visiting family in Colorado this week(we drove), my SIL told us how we could get low airfare to come visit more often. I never googled or research airfare before or after the conversation. And fwiw, I NEVER fly. Today, airfare ads were popping up on my Facebook.

Have you ever listened to Reply All's podcast "Is Facebook Spying on You?" It's interesting.

• Like 1

Blah.

That is why I won't get one of those things. It is bad enough that my phone is listening.

Although my husband and I have been trying to get an ad for frog legs for a year now. We have searched for frog legs and talked about how we would like some frog legs. Nothing. But other stuff we have talked about or searched for have popped up.

• Like 5

That is why I won't get one of those things. It is bad enough that my phone is listening.

Although my husband and I have been trying to get an ad for frog legs for a year now. We have searched for frog legs and talked about how we would like some frog legs. Nothing. But other stuff we have talked about or searched for have popped up.

We don't have one either, but my family wants me to tell you challenge accepted. Game on!  :gnorsi:  

• Like 3

I live in the South. Every summer, we drive up to New England to visit family. I am the laziest person you will ever meet. In other words, not once have I ever thought about joining a gym and certainly not one a thousand miles away from my home. Last summer, while visiting with my uncle whom we hadn't seen in years, he was telling us what he'd been doing in recent years. He told us about how he had run a gym for a few years in (Town 20 miles away that we had never been to) and was looking at doing so again. The next day, my phone was showing me ads for gyms in that small town that I've never been to, never searched for, never thought about.

• Like 3