Menu

Garmin customer service. Not happy. WWYD?

Laurie4b

I bought a Garmin activity tracker, new, from Amazon. Within 24 hours of activating it, it was showing a problem that I looked up online and found was often not able to be permanently fixed. I called customer service and got a recording that the wait to speak to someone would be 1 1/2 hours. I don't know how long I actually waited but I put my phone on speaker and went about life. I would guess at least 45 min

The guy I talked with helped me get my tracker functioning again, but I was still worried about a recurrence. 

It happened again and the second time it could not be fixed. I contacted them through email and waited 4 days for a response.  It was still within a 30 day return time with Amazon, but since I'd worked with the company, I thought I would go through the company. They agreed to replace my new tracker. 

The replacement arrived.( ETA: It was no longer within Amazon's 30 day return limit' I had believed that I was receiving a new product or I would have used Amazon.) 

It is not new. 

It is refurbished.

I am peeved. At no time did they indicate it would be refurbished. This was not a year into ownership. The problem manifested within 24 hours. 

WWYD? 

Edited by Laurie4b

Request another replacement from amazon or just return it to amazon altogether.

I can't now. The time has expired. :(

I could have back when Garmin agreed to replace it. (The day the rep offered to replace it was 2 days before the 30 day Amazon return limit was up. It never occurred to me that they would send a refurbished product.) 

Edited by Laurie4b

I can't now. The time has expired. :(

I could have back when Garmin agreed to replace it. (The day the rep offered to replace it was 2 days before the 30 day Amazon return limit was up. It never occurred to me that they would send a refurbished product.)

A nice, strong worded post on their Facebook page might just help get some good results.

• Like 2

You ordered with a credit card, right?  Contact Amazon anyway, keep escalating until you are speaking to an American on the phone, explain that you were sent a refurbished item instead of a new one, which you only just discovered, and since it was fraudulent on their part to send a different item than you ordered you are giving them an opportunity to fix the situation before you file a fraud complaint with your credit card company.  You typically have 60-90 days for that complaint.

ETA:  Actually I'm not sure that will work, since you've been working with Garmin.  Call your credit card company and ask.

In the future never work with the manufacturer's company customer service with a product defect, just exchange with original retailer.  And always pay with a credit card to prevent fraud.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Amazon has always gone above and beyond for me on anything like this. You can email customer service (or call), and let them know the situation. More than likely, they'll refund it. Be sure to point out that you purchased a new item, and received a refurbished one that has already malfunctioned.

Amazon didn't do anything wrong except ship me a brand new Garmin product that turned out to be defective. I somehow thought it would be better to deal with the manufacturer (Garmin) and THEY sent me the refurbished one.