Menu

woman reports confederate flag

gardenmom5

to the seattle times flying in the greenwood neighborhood in seatlle (really?   I'd expect to see a hammer and sickle long before a confederate flag.)

the  new york times author ends up looking like a fool . . . .  if you're expecting something to offend you (but lack discernment) . . . .

• Like 5

There is another thread about this as well...she must have felt pretty silly, especially in a Seattle neighborhood where so many people are of Scandinavian descent.

In the last line of the quoted article she tries to pass off her stupid mistake as stress over the current political climate.

Now I am just as capable as the next person of making stupid mistakes . (Fortunately none have been so public.) But I do own up to them when I make them.

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 11

It's particularly egregious in North Seattle, which might be the only place in the US where you actually see more Norwegian flags than confederate flags on any given day. We might be rivaled by a few small towns in Minnesota.

Her political anxiety doesn't make it any better. You live in Greenwood, lady. Even if you did see a Confederate flag you can safely assume that they are about to burn it or something.

But wondering where that would really be news anyway?  Quite a few around here, and I'm in Colorado, not even in the south.

Argh, it deleted my reply. Sorry. Here was what I was trying to submit:

https://pugetsoundanarchists.org/a-sobering-look-at-the-anti-fascist-response-at-red-square-on-2-10/

It would definitely be news in Seattle, where we have far more anarcho-syndicalists than racists, and the anti-fascist movement has some distinctively violent branches. You wouldn't want to get beat up or your car trashed or rocks thrown through your windows or anything.

Not that we don't have racists, but they tend to be more Nazis or quietly racist and elitist, than supporting the South.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 5

There is another thread about this as well...she must have felt pretty silly, especially in a Seattle neighborhood where so many people are of Scandinavian descent.

well, yes, I was thinking she'd blame it on greenwood isn't ballard (where it was settle entirely by Scandinavians), though they are very close.

if you want a scandinavian food - go to a fish counter (our friend goes there for pickled herring) or a bakery in ballard.  (though my favorite danish bakery is on queen anne, just off mercer.)

• Like 1

to the seattle times flying in the greenwood neighborhood in seatlle (really?   I'd expect to see a hammer and sickle long before a confederate flag.)

the  new york times author ends up looking like a fool . . . .  if you're expecting something to offend you (but lack discernment) . . . .

Also, regarding your first comment, when I looked for references to explain why people wouldn't fly a Confederate flag, the first protest picture I found had a huge hammer and sickle flag on it. Nailed it!

Also, regarding your first comment, when I looked for references to explain why people wouldn't fly a Confederate flag, the first protest picture I found had a huge hammer and sickle flag on it. Nailed it!

the fremont neighborhood (immediately south of ballard, swish of greenwood) - has an actual soviet statue of lenin. - the russians didn't want it anymore.

• Like 1

I love that statue and I have some awesome pictures of myself there lol. I believe in nonviolence so I'm not a fan of Lenin, but I appreciate the irony.

I think every year people demand it get taken down but it's on his private property so it is going nowhere. It's not a bad statue.

well, yes, I was thinking she'd blame it on greenwood isn't ballard (where it was settle entirely by Scandinavians), though they are very close.

if you want a scandinavian food - go to a fish counter (our friend goes there for pickled herring) or a bakery in ballard.  (though my favorite danish bakery is on queen anne, just off mercer.)

I have to leave this thread now. I am getting homesick for some pickled herring and salmon, an ocean breeze and boats in a harbor.  :)

• Like 4

I have to leave this thread now. I am getting homesick for some pickled herring and salmon, an ocean breeze and boats in a harbor.  :)

green trees - and lots of snow in the mountains. . . . .we had some flakes yesterday and today, but nothing stuck.  but the moutains . . . . earlier in the week - 4wd had chains required over the pass.

• Like 3

Not that we don't have racists, but they tend to be more Nazis or quietly racist and elitist, than supporting the South.

I'm still scared after reading this newspaper article this morning .  There's also a video, and at the 1:16 mark there's a photo of their flag, which is definitely worth watching out for!   

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/report-washington-state-home-to-one-of-the-largest-cells-of-notorious-white-supremacist-group/

Edited by Laurie
  • Like 1

Around here, it’s usually the Mississippi state flag. Which does, admittedly, include the confederate Flag as part of it’s graphics, but for heaven’s sake, our MSA encompasses part of Mississippi! It doesn’t mean that someone is a white supremicist because they’re flying the state flag at their car dealership!

Around here, it’s usually the Mississippi state flag. Which does, admittedly, include the confederate Flag as part of it’s graphics, but for heaven’s sake, our MSA encompasses part of Mississippi! It doesn’t mean that someone is a white supremicist because they’re flying the state flag at their car dealership!

People report that?

In Seattle someone would report a Confederate flag to the media as very unusual and a sign that there was infiltration of white supremacists into new spaces.

I will say I personally object to any flags with the apartheid South American flag, the Confederate flag, and the Nazi flag, among others, as "simply heritage" flags. I also don't think redface logos are okay. They should not be outlawed but if you fly a flag with a redface Indian on it, or with a flag of another apartheid or slave state on it, I do think that you are defending white supremacism to some degree.

There's no acceptable amount of that.

Now, that's anyone's right, but it's not an innocuous or innocent statement. Those flags mean something.

The Norwegian flag on the other hand, mainly stands for Olympic supremacy at this point.

I live in the south.  The confederate flag is just a part of my life.  People drive around with it flying off the back of their truck beds, they have it on their flagpoles, etc.  Not everyone, of course.  I don't like it.  I roll my eyes.   I guess I don't see how it is something to be reported?  It feels to me like they are just wearing a sign that says "southern, backwards, and ignorant" and I say that as a southern girl. 

• Like 1