Menu

Florida and FLVS

We have used FLVS Flex for some math, foreign language, some electives, and are now enrolled in Chemistry. The format is the same for most classes--2 segments (basically semesters) divided into 4 or 5 modules, each of which has several lessons, most of which have some kind of assessment to complete (quiz, worksheet/activity, collaboration, etc.). Students are expected to complete 3 - 4 lessons per week, and usually there's a dba (discussion based assesment) with the teacher after every module or two. There are tests after each module and a comprehensive test after each segment.

The teachers can be really good and helpful, or not. We've had dba's where the teacher was really seeking to make sure the student understood the material and helpful if s/he did not, and we've had dba's where the goal seemed to be to ask 2 questions and finish as quickly as possible. They have A LOT of students to keep track of, and they are pushed by the admin to get the kids through in a certain period of time, plus they have things they are supposed to say.

The work is all on the computer, and not exactly exciting--it generally includes interactive online quizzes and activities, so there's a lot of jumping around to different links and clicking. The student definitely has to be self-motivated, unless you want to sit right there and keep them on task, The lessons are fairly well organized and cover an appropriate amount of information IMO.

Overall, I think FLVS is a decent option for a class that a parent may not feel comfortable teaching or have an outside resource to teach. I don't know Spanish, so I can't teach it, and FLVS has been a good option for my kids to get foreign language credit, for example. Two advantages are that FLVS is free for Florida residents, and that some of the colleges (UF, for example) like to see FLVS classes on a homeschooler's transcript because it represents an accredited institution.

I wouldn't do FLVS for more than a couple of classes at a time, because they really are a time drain, and I'm not a fan of getting so much instruction in front of a screen, personally. But for a class here and there through high school, we've been pleased.

• Like 5

My sister used it for a few classes.  They've been pretty happy with it but they knew what they were getting into...you don't really want to use it for a class your student might struggle and need a lot of help such as math or chemistry....many teachers just don't have the time to answer a lot of questions and they take forever to get back to you in-between.  The modules are very self contained.  I've seen them and they're pretty well done.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it for a few classes here and there, especially given the FREE price tag for FL residents. :)

• Like 1

We have used FLVS Flex for some math, foreign language, some electives, and are now enrolled in Chemistry. The format is the same for most classes--2 segments (basically semesters) divided into 4 or 5 modules, each of which has several lessons, most of which have some kind of assessment to complete (quiz, worksheet/activity, collaboration, etc.). Students are expected to complete 3 - 4 lessons per week, and usually there's a dba (discussion based assesment) with the teacher after every module or two. There are tests after each module and a comprehensive test after each segment.

The teachers can be really good and helpful, or not. We've had dba's where the teacher was really seeking to make sure the student understood the material and helpful if s/he did not, and we've had dba's where the goal seemed to be to ask 2 questions and finish as quickly as possible. They have A LOT of students to keep track of, and they are pushed by the admin to get the kids through in a certain period of time, plus they have things they are supposed to say.

The work is all on the computer, and not exactly exciting--it generally includes interactive online quizzes and activities, so there's a lot of jumping around to different links and clicking. The student definitely has to be self-motivated, unless you want to sit right there and keep them on task, The lessons are fairly well organized and cover an appropriate amount of information IMO.

Overall, I think FLVS is a decent option for a class that a parent may not feel comfortable teaching or have an outside resource to teach. I don't know Spanish, so I can't teach it, and FLVS has been a good option for my kids to get foreign language credit, for example. Two advantages are that FLVS is free for Florida residents, and that some of the colleges (UF, for example) like to see FLVS classes on a homeschooler's transcript because it represents an accredited institution.

I wouldn't do FLVS for more than a couple of classes at a time, because they really are a time drain, and I'm not a fan of getting so much instruction in front of a screen, personally. But for a class here and there through high school, we've been pleased.

Can you comment on what you would do for AP classes? I was trying to decide if I should do PA homeschoolers or another secular option? 

I am leaning toward PA homeschoolers - but there are no live classes. That has been the hangup. Classes are either not secular, or asynchronous. My kid like live classes, go figure :) Trying to be an accommodating mom.

You should start a separate thread or just look up/search AP classes. There are a ton of options. PA Homeschoolers are pretty great.

• Like 1

Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but has anyone been able to enroll an 8th grader (or middle schooler in general) in FLVS for Spanish I (high school)?

Middle school students can take high school classes. They won't let a 9th grader finish an 8th grade class once the school year starts, but there's no problem working ahead.

• Like 2

When we first tried the high school FLVS classes, some of the pacing requirements really irritated me. In retrospect, it's not so bad. Module 1 must be completed in the first 2 weeks, but the teachers we worked with all pushed the official start date back a week, so dd had almost an extra week to get that first module done. Also, you have to submit assignments regularly, or they start bugging you. You have to notify teachers if you are taking a break week or going on vacation. One summer, DD was at camp for 2 weeks, and either she didn't tell her teacher, or the teacher forgot, and she was dropped from the class. I made a big fuss and dd was reinstated as soon as she came back from camp.

We are no longer in FL, and dd is enrolled in high school full time. She needs to take 2 virtual classes from the school district to fit in all her preferred electives (pesky high school math and PE requirements). This semester, she wishes she could take the class from FLVS instead. Now she realizes it was really well laid out, expectations were clear, and there's a lot more flexibility in pacing than what she has now. Since our district won't pay for summer virtual classes, she's gotten me to agree to let her take the 2nd class through FLVS. It will give her the option of starting the class as soon as her spring drama production is done, instead of waiting until the summer term, and she won't fall hopeless behind when we take a 10-day trip in July.

• Like 1

I am leaning toward PA homeschoolers - but there are no live classes. That has been the hangup. Classes are either not secular, or asynchronous. My kid like live classes, go figure :) Trying to be an accommodating mom.

FLVS doesn't generally have live classes either. Each semester has a collaboration requirement, which can be met by a live class. One of the teachers logs onto Blackboard (or something similar) and all the students who need a live class log on and "collaborate". I wasn't impressed, but it satisfies the state requirements, I suppose. The content wasn't any different than the same lesson already posted online, but you have a real teacher talking and real people typing on the screen at the same time as you.

• Like 1

I am an FLVS Flex high school English instructor. I will try to ask any questions that you might have. You have already received a lot of good information. I will say that we aren't pushed to get students through in a hurry. Our time frame for each segment is approximately 8 weeks, which is a standard school semester. We are told to put the student and parents first, and there are many occasions in which we are allowed to give plenty of grace to students. I also don't think our workload is bad at all. I have about 148 students which is on par with how many students I had in a standard high school classroom. FLVS is not for everyone, but I think it is a great option for students who need online learning. 

• Like 2

FLVS doesn't generally have live classes either. Each semester has a collaboration requirement, which can be met by a live class. One of the teachers logs onto Blackboard (or something similar) and all the students who need a live class log on and "collaborate". I wasn't impressed, but it satisfies the state requirements, I suppose. The content wasn't any different than the same lesson already posted online, but you have a real teacher talking and real people typing on the screen at the same time as you.

I'm sorry this was your experience, but it isn't my experience as an FLVS Flex instructor. My live lessons are very different from the online reading and assessments. All the teachers I work with spend lots of time to make our lessons engaging and enjoyable for students. We regularly have students repeat lessons because they enjoy the camaraderie in the virtual classroom.  We also have the ability meet with student one on one in our virtual classroom for private tutoring which can be very beneficial for students. 

Edited by leeannpal
  • Like 1

Can you comment on what you would do for AP classes? I was trying to decide if I should do PA homeschoolers or another secular option? 

Florida virtual has AP classes. For AP English, our students score above the national average and above most of the school districts in Florida. I personally know several AP teachers, and they are phenomenal!

I thought my son's PA Homeschoolers class was live...

You couldn't SEE the instructor but it was live...

Ok. I am confused. Are the classes not pre-recorded, and you watch a video? So it is a live session(where you can interact. I am not concerned about not being able to see a teacher on the screen). Thx!

My sons PAH class was live and recorded so the student could just watch the recording if they miss it.

They have a chat box going, and can hear the teacher’s voice and a screen where the teacher can write and show slides but I can’t remember if they can see the teacher. I’m pretty sure they couldn’t.

But it was definitely live!

• Like 1