Menu

Latin for Children

Coco_Clark

I'm getting my ducks in a row for next year and getting confused by Latin for Children. There's a lot of parts!!  Which parts do I need?  And which parts do I need for each student (I'll have 4- a third grader, a 4th grader, and two 5th graders).  

Primer A -  This looks like a workbook, so I need one per student, right?

Primer A Answer Key- Is this worth buying?  Do I really need it?  I mean, I don't know Latin but so far in Song School I've been fine without a key.

DVD/CD- Obviously I only need one :)

History Reader-  This is consumable too?  So I need one each?

Primer A Activity book-  Is this necessary?  helpful?  overkill?  

Headventureland account- Is this worth it?  Helpful?  If I get this, should I skip the activity book?

Also, how many days a week should I expect this to take and what will those days look like?  We've completed both years of Song School by doing Latin 3 days a week- one for the DVD, and two for the workbook.  Along with randomly listening to the CD in the car.  Will I have to increase to every day in Latin for Children, or is it still accomplish-able in 3 days?

I'm getting my ducks in a row for next year and getting confused by Latin for Children. There's a lot of parts!!  Which parts do I need?  And which parts do I need for each student (I'll have 4- a third grader, a 4th grader, and two 5th graders).  

Primer A -  This looks like a workbook, so I need one per student, right?

Primer A Answer Key- Is this worth buying?  Do I really need it?  I mean, I don't know Latin but so far in Song School I've been fine without a key.

DVD/CD- Obviously I only need one :)

History Reader-  This is consumable too?  So I need one each?

Primer A Activity book-  Is this necessary?  helpful?  overkill?  

Headventureland account- Is this worth it?  Helpful?  If I get this, should I skip the activity book?

Also, how many days a week should I expect this to take and what will those days look like?  We've completed both years of Song School by doing Latin 3 days a week- one for the DVD, and two for the workbook.  Along with randomly listening to the CD in the car.  Will I have to increase to every day in Latin for Children, or is it still accomplish-able in 3 days?

My thoughts/opinions. This is our second year doing LFC and we did use both of the Song School books.

• Yes, a workbook for each.
  • I do find I need the answer key. 
  • Yes, only one for the DVD/CD
  • History reader--if they have not changed it, buy it used. You only need one if you don't write in it (we don't).  Note: answers for it are online
  • Activity book--it depends on your kid. I found it to be busywork and not helpful for reinforcing concepts. I use the practice pages they have on the CAP site instead or invent my own practice. My opinion: skip the activity book unless you have a kid that *loves* that kind of thing, and even then, don't count on it to really help cement the concepts.
  • Headventureland: we use this one day a week for something different and during the summer.  Otherwise we use Quizlet. You could just use Quizlet and you would be absolutely fine.  

We are in LFC-B this year. We do Latin for Children in five days a week.  We watch the video on day one and go over the first couple of pages of lesson, and they do quizlet.  Day two they do two pages of the workbook and they do quizlet.  Day three they just do Headventureland for 10 minutes. Day four we generally do the LFC practice pages for that chapter or ones I have created and sometimes we do the reader (plus quizlet)  Day five they finish up the workbook and do quizlet.

If you haven't been really doing grammar, you will want to look into beefing that up so that your child has a grasp of the sentence patterns they present, etc.  For example, they mention the nominative case being used for a predicate nominative but they don't go into a lot of detail about what that is.

I found watching the Latin for Teachers DVDs really helpful if you can find a way to borrow them (they are pricey!).  I wish I had watched them before I started with Latin for Children. Unfortunately I watched them after we finished LFC-A. She shares some fun songs and games for teaching the concepts and also takes the time to explain things really well. 

ETA: I might consider adjusting the pace for your 3rd grader.  

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

It can be done in 3rd--Karen Moore, who teaches the Latin for Chldren Teacher's videos, teaches LFC-A to 3rd graders in a classical school in TX. 

I forgot to mention that you don't start using the LFC-A reader until about halfway through Primer A, so you have time to get one used. I am not sure if they updated the history reader also when they updated the other books.  

Here's a chant from the LFC Teacher's video I found helpful (chant it like a military march, I'll admit to skipping the sound off part)

Nominative the Naming Case! Subject, Predicate!

Genitive, Possession! Of, Apostrophe-s

Dative, Indirect Object! Prepositions to and for

Accusative, Direct Object! Prepositions galore

Ablative wears many hats. Smile when you translate that!

Sound off! We love

Sound off! Latin

Break it on down!  We love Latin

Note: ablative is often used as the object of the preposition, which is what LFC A will have you memorize.

Another comment:  it seems that all the chants for the case endings are the same and that was hard for my kids. We used the Classical Conversations songs for the declensions instead. You might be able to find them on You tube.

My son is doing LFC A. Personally, all he uses is the workbook and headventureland (which he uses as vocab review). My oldest has done Latin for a bit, though, so I don't find he answer key necessary. He doesn't watch the video because we have chants and the like we've found on YouTube. He's also working through GSWL, which is a GREAT primer and teaches the uses of cases very incrementally. He does it four days a week. On Monday he reviews the grammar and vocab for the chapter, Tuesday he does the worksheet, Wednesday he discusses derivatives with me and Thursday he does the quiz. He also does five sentences from GSWL each day. And that takes him 30-40 min.

FWIW, when he finishes GSWL, it's unlikely that he'll move into LFC B.

We did the same progression from SSL into LfC and found it a big jump. We spread each chapter over a whole week. Day 1: DVD, Days 2-5: the written work interspersed with much, much listening to the CD in the car. We found the activity book unnecessary. I definitely need the answer book!

• Like 1