Menu

college admissions...funny, I think

retiredHSmom

My son just got a letter inviting him to schedule a scholarship interview at one of the colleges he applied to.  The funny thing is that he hasn't yet received an admissions decision from the school.

So... he called the admissions office and told them what happened and asked if he could assume that he has been accepted.

Their reply was that they couldn't share that information over the phone and that he would need to wait for a letter.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

we are scheduling a scholarship interview.

SaveSave

Edited by Tania
  • Like 11

My DD was offered a scholarship interview as well. They made sure to note in the offer that she would given the scholarship if rejected by admissions as they are separate. But I'm not worried.

To me, that is almost funnier.  "You can't come to our school but we will give you money"

His scholarship letter didn't proffer that benefit.  I am not too worried either.

• Like 2

No, they can't give her money if she doesn't get accepted. But it's a silly system where acceptance comes from admissions and the scholarship is managed by a different bureaucracy. We had to submit separate transcripts, essays, test scores, letters and everything!

Scholarships usually come from a foundation that is a separate entity from the college itself, so sometimes communications can seem off! I'm not surprised the admissions office has a policy about not giving info over the phone though--it could put them in an awkward position if they made a mistake about identity or if they had to tell people they were not accepted, etc... 

• Like 1

We had friends whose son was invited to compete to be a Jefferson Scholar at UVA but who had been waitlisted for admission. Something like that. This was ten years ago, so my memory is fuzzy. It was/is some fancy scholarship that was awarded to two students from each state. He didn't receive it, though he was admitted. But it was weired because he was waitlisted initially for admission when he was chosen as a finalist for this fancy pants scholarship.

• Like 1

My kids participated in a scholarship weekend without acceptance letters. I am close friends with a prof there, and I asked why. She said that the admissions office has told the professors loudly and clearly that --

1) These are the tippy-top applicants. Barring something weird, they will be accepted.

2) If the profs notice anything seriously odd with any of the students, they need to contact the admissions office immediately.

My friend knew of only two students (oveer well over twenty years) who were invited to the scholarship weekend but weren't accepted. One was an odd duck -- wore only black, didn't talk to anyone the entire time, and generally made a convincing case that he would be a "problem student" -- possibly with serious psychiatric issues -- if accepted. The other was idiot enough to end up in the hospital with alcohol poisoning while attending the scholarship weekend. (Obviously he may have been talented academically but he was seriously lacking in self-control and common sense!)

So your student should assume that he is not only accepted but is one of the most desirable applicants. But he should also remember that he is at the scholarship weekend as a "trial" and given odd enough behavior the school will not accept him.

• Like 1

He got a letter in the mail from the college in question today.  We all gathered in the dining room while he opened it.  As he put down the envelope I glanced at the return address...

Financial Aid

...yep he was offered student loans...

but still no admissions decision.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

(we are assuming that he is in, but are definitely finding the reverse mail delivery amusing)

• Like 6

He got a letter in the mail from the college in question today. We all gathered in the dining room while he opened it. As he put down the envelope I glanced at the return address...

Financial Aid

...yep he was offered student loans...

but still no admissions decision.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(we are assuming that he is in, but are definitely finding the reverse mail delivery amusing)

Is it possible that he could log into a portal and see an admissions notification? Or that he received an e-mailed overlooked telling him to log into his portal? Just sort of guessing and grasping here.

• Like 1

Back when I was applying for colleges, I found out I was accepted when housing called me to figure out what they needed to do for my special accommodations request (my neurologist had gone to medical school on that campus and requested not only type of housing, but specific locations on campus because he knew the layout extremely well and knew which would require more walking than I could manage. Apparently, housing wasn’t used to that level of detail). I figured that if they were trying to make my room assignment, I was probably in :). The letter arrived a week later.

• Like 1