Menu

What shoes do kids wear when it's HOT and they're walking a lot? And stroller for 9 yo?

PeterPan

Says it all. Let's say melt level heat (90F) or a kid with autism who melts in that level of Florida heat, and a LOT of walking. What shoes does he need? 

I ended up renting a stroller last time at $50 a pop to keep him calm. I'm open to anything right now. Strollers that fit a 9 yo. Shoes that will keep him so cool and happy. I don't know. We'll have the spray bottle fan things and his own water bottle. Nuts, i could even do both. My McClaren folding stroller can't handle him. He's 65-70 pounds, 5'4" and it's just too heavy to push with him. He was fine in the double Disney stroller turned sideways. I'm going to look at stroller rental places. I don't know.

Are there sandals that are good for that much walking? I thought it was going to be 75 and he'd wear sneakers, and now they're calling for MUCH hotter!!

My girls wear crocs all summer long. They wear them doing light hiking and touring, as well as everyday play. They're comfortable, waterproof, require no socks, and protect their toes. So they can splash around in creeks or whatever. They're hideous, but so crazy functional that they're my main choice.

• Like 3

That's what I was just going to ask, whether Keens would work! I've never had them, but my dad has. Honestly, if I'm looking at $50 a day for a stroller because he's melting, the Keens look cheap. And that's how intense it will be. I'm seeing the sandals for $50-55. Might be able to find a deal on amazon and surely could find them locally. Are they kind of dependable sizing? Like if he's a 4 in a Nike (like he was measured at a store, that's what he wears after his growth spurt, current size), will he be a 4 in Keens if I order them online? 

I was going to suggest keens. Does he have an ongoing need for a larger stroller? Often insurance will cover the cost. There also might be local groups that lend out outgrown medical equipment. A friend of ours just got a wheelchair for her 4 year old that way.

They are not cheap but if you have a medical grade one most places view them as a "wheelchair" for accessing places that strollers are not allowed, etc.

• Like 3

Found them on amazon, free returns, boom. So is the 4 in Nike going to be a 4 in Keen, or should I order a 5 as well to be safe?

Ok, I ordered the 5 as well, since it came in camo. 

Now I'll go look at more styles. What I ordered is the Newport H2. Maybe it runs hot and there's something cooler?

Amazon.com: KEEN Big Kid (8-12 Years) Newport H2 Cascade Brown Kamo Sandal - 5 M US Big Kid: Shoes

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

I was going to suggest keens. Does he have an ongoing need for a larger stroller? Often insurance will cover the cost. There also might be local groups that lend out outgrown medical equipment. A friend of ours just got a wheelchair for her 4 year old that way.

They are not cheap but if you have a medical grade one most places view them as a "wheelchair" for accessing places that strollers are not allowed, etc.

He's so right on the line. We ended up renting a stroller multiple days. It gives him a retreat and a way to pull if he's overwhelmed in any way. So it's really unfortunate, because when the world is perfect and everything aligns, he doesn't need it. But when you need it, you need it. 

We're trying to do better this trip, more tools. Maybe I should start a separate thread for strategies. I will. Definitely. 

• Like 1

I'd order both and return the ones that don't work.

I've never found Nike sizing to be particularly reliable, but we all have high arches, wide toes, and narrow ankles, which often doesn't work well with Nikes, so I'm a terrible judge.

I definitely would also get a stroller.  WDW is more walking than almost any 9 yo could tolerate.

• Like 1

As a native Floridian I can tell you that wearing open or closed shoes won't make a difference. Not really. He's going to be melting anyway. Plan on the damn stroller, LOL

Has it really been that bad? I just feel terrible that I planned this thinking it would be fine, telling him would be fine, and it's MELT level for him. Total melt level. Now I do have him onboard with going into the parks early. He's setting some personal goals, like 20 times on Space Mountain during our trip, so I introduced the concept of AVERAGES and that we needed to hit it 4 times a day, that means twice in the morning, twice during the fireworks...  :lol:  Anyways, I think going in early will help. Last time he kept trying to whine and sleep in, not realizing it was making us hit there late, when it was hot. Apparently he can now understand that, hallelujah.

So then, what stroller? Seriously. Cuz a 54" kid sorta fits but the weight bogs down. I hadn't thought of a medical stroller. I can google. Maybe a place in Orlando has them. They have everything else...

Closed toe is not for heat or no heat. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s to protect toes.

Yeah, he can use the protecting, lol. He has a lot of motion.  :lol:

I'd order both and return the ones that don't work.

I've never found Nike sizing to be particularly reliable, but we all have high arches, wide toes, and narrow ankles, which often doesn't work well with Nikes, so I'm a terrible judge.

I definitely would also get a stroller.  WDW is more walking than almost any 9 yo could tolerate.

Thank you for saying this. I've been feeling kind of bad about this. Like if we do a park, skip a day, do a park, he doesn't need the stroller. But day after day, it's just a lot for him. I thought maybe I was just being, I don't know, sort of overly indulgent or something. But really, his behaviors can be quite challenging if he has problems and he struggles to self-advocate. So I have to think ahead and have solutions.

I'm loving the camo Keens btw. He's gonna flip. :D

• Like 3

Thank you for saying this. I've been feeling kind of bad about this. Like if we do a park, skip a day, do a park, he doesn't need the stroller. But day after day, it's just a lot for him. I thought maybe I was just being, I don't know, sort of overly indulgent or something. But really, his behaviors can be quite challenging if he has problems and he struggles to self-advocate. So I have to think ahead and have solutions.

I'm loving the camo Keens btw. He's gonna flip. :D

Yeah.  Some kids are fine if you take a 20 minute break every hour, and then they get some sleep.  That's enough to self-regulate and minimize meltdowns.  Some need more help.  There's no reason to put yourself through agony when you are there for vacation if easy adaptations help everyone enjoy themselves better.

• Like 2

Certainly work on a medical stroller. Seriously. We use those often at the special school I work at fir autistic students who are ambulatory but need that for extra support.

Even ask on local Facebook pages to see if anyone knows where to find one or has one to lend/give you.

• Like 2

Orlandomedicalrentals.com

FWIW, I like the convaid ones. McClarens also push ok. Dd eventually ended up with a wheelchair, but we test drive a ton of adaptive strollers while we worked with the custom seat mobility people.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I had looked for strollers before on our previous trips and failed. 

Yeah.  Some kids are fine if you take a 20 minute break every hour, and then they get some sleep.  That's enough to self-regulate and minimize meltdowns.  Some need more help.  There's no reason to put yourself through agony when you are there for vacation if easy adaptations help everyone enjoy themselves better.

Wow, I hadn't thought about how frequent to put the breaks. It's been on my mind to set an alarm and have planned breaks, but I hadn't thought through frequency. I know the heat is going to be hard. And yes, this trip is just me and him, so we have total freedom to take our time and roll with him. Always before we've had other people along, which really alters the amount of support I can give. We like him to have opportunities to be out in the community, practicing his new skills. Disney is fun for him but hard at the same time. He's both nervous and excited, because he knows it's hard. So I keep looking for ways to make it easier for him, so he CAN be out there and be having the fun but also have it work for him and have him feel like he was successful. So that's part of why it's me and him this time, to make it low pressure like that. We're going to stay at a hotel with breakfast, use Uber and not the shuttles, and just totally roll as we want.

• Like 3

I meant sneakers or sandals won't make the difference in if he is hot and miserable. 

You're probably right. I'll still try, lol. But I think you're right that sandals won't SOLVE it, that he's going to need this better stroller. And we can either get it delivered to the hotel or pick it up ourselves, easy peasy. Or maybe my mother can pick it up early or something. 

I'm just crazy excited. I had no clue they had strollers big enough to fit him. This is HUGE.

• Like 2

Has it really been that bad? I just feel terrible that I planned this thinking it would be fine, telling him would be fine, and it's MELT level for him. Total melt level. Now I do have him onboard with going into the parks early. He's setting some personal goals, like 20 times on Space Mountain during our trip, so I introduced the concept of AVERAGES and that we needed to hit it 4 times a day, that means twice in the morning, twice during the fireworks...  :lol:  Anyways, I think going in early will help. Last time he kept trying to whine and sleep in, not realizing it was making us hit there late, when it was hot. Apparently he can now understand that, hallelujah.

So then, what stroller? Seriously. Cuz a 54" kid sorta fits but the weight bogs down. I hadn't thought of a medical stroller. I can google. Maybe a place in Orlando has them. They have everything else...

Yeah, he can use the protecting, lol. He has a lot of motion.  :lol:

If you are coming now, I think the weather is perfect, lol. But my point was, if he's hot, open shoes won't make him not hot. It doesn't work that way. Even in summer I usually wear sneakers to the park, and I would NOT wear new shoes to the parks. That's asking for blisters. 

What about renting a wheelchair instead of a stroller? Would be meant for that amount of weight and easier to push. 

• Like 3

Ok, now the question of the day. Did you say there's a way I can get it labeled as medical and keep it in line? He has so many problems waiting in line. I need to talk with the behaviorist. These things are not huge like the double Disney. If I had him contained in that seat, he might wait a lot better. Even with the DAS, there can be waits of 45 minutes or more, which is quite challenging with him. On some rides it would be a pain (like hello, Tower of Terror), but on something like Flight of Passage, he would be much easier to handle with the stroller and the ability to keep the stroller all the way up. The people AROUND us would be more comfortable if he were in the stroller. He would be more comfortable. 

But it's not every ride, and it's not like he can't. Like Space Mountain, if you fastpass or go early, you walk right on. RocknRoller Coaster, wouldn't need it because the line keeps moving. I need to think. Just the ones with a lot of standing in place waiting, he's really challenging in those. Keeping him in the stroller then would be AMAZING. But is that a legitimate use of it? Like is that something they do? 

Make sure he wears the Keens around the house a fair bit before the trip. The feel of the straps, if he's sensitive to those sorts of things, might take some getting used to. Also nice to locate any hot spots (blisters) before you're locked in for a whole day's wear.

FWIW, we went last May and it was mid- to upper-90s our whole week. We mostly wore our sneakers because sometimes I find them more comfy on hot, sweaty feet (I.e. You don't realize they're so hot/sweaty because it's contained). :p

Unless you plan on Splash Mountain. Then totally go with Keens. Or Crocs - I am unashamedly in love with Crocs.

• Like 1

If you are coming now, I think the weather is perfect, lol. But my point was, if he's hot, open shoes won't make him not hot. It doesn't work that way. Even in summer I usually wear sneakers to the park, and I would NOT wear new shoes to the parks. That's asking for blisters. 

What about renting a wheelchair instead of a stroller? Would be meant for that amount of weight and easier to push. 

There are strollers that look like typical strollers with shades that are hitting 110pound capacities, so they'll be perfect for him.

So you think it's good now? I was hoping that the humidity might be low and then the heat wouldn't feel bad. Like where we live, high 80s is as hot as it gets, even in summer. Like we might have 2 or 3 days that hit low 90s. It's often not even warm enough for him to swim outside because the Y pool is unheated. So 90 with a pleasant level of humidity would be a nice summer day to us. But when we were there in September, it was high 80s to 90 with sweltering, sweatroom level humidity. He just had extreme trouble dealing with it. So I have to have a plan to be safe, kwim? His aggressive behaviors are level 3 on the GARS. Like I really have to have every option I can have thought out. To be safe and keep everyone safe, I have to have plans.

Make sure he wears the Keens around the house a fair bit before the trip. The feel of the straps, if he's sensitive to those sorts of things, might take some getting used to. Also nice to locate any hot spots (blisters) before you're locked in for a whole day's wear.

FWIW, we went last May and it was mid- to upper-90s our whole week. We mostly wore our sneakers because sometimes I find them more comfy on hot, sweaty feet (I.e. You don't realize they're so hot/sweaty because it's contained). :p

Unless you plan on Splash Mountain. Then totally go with Keens. Or Crocs - I am unashamedly in love with Crocs.

Good point! Definitely a good plan to break them in. 

Yes, we love Splash Mountain. It wasn't open when we went last time, which is a total bummer because it's one of my favorite things. Well I'm really into the Frozen singalong these days, with the snow and effects... But yeah I love Splash Mountain. :D

I meant sneakers or sandals won't make the difference in if he is hot and miserable. 

Do you think this is an ok plan for clothing? I'm bringing him athletic wear, like basketball gym shorts. They're that polyester stuff, very breezy. Also he has some synthetic shirts to match that seem like they would breath. And he picked up tonight a shirt that looks like a polo and matching shorts but both are made with this athletic wear material. Does that seem good to you?

He was in normal cotton twill shorts (hand me downs) and normal cotton t-shirts on our September sauna trip, so I was trying to find anything to get cooler even than shorts and a t-shirt.

I used to be as unbelievably sensitive as he is, so I get it. I've been doing the steam room so long, I can finally take it. But he really really struggles. If we have a stroller to haul a little weight, we could take in frozen water bottles. Is there some other trick like that for keeping cool? We got him the spray fan water bottle thing and that helps amazingly. He needs an ice cube vest.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Edited by PeterPan

maybe figure out where he can cool off and have a break? Does Disney have any kind of family rooms for breaks? Or consider resaurants, etc? Like at Sea World I always would go the bar in Sharks because there is usually no wait for the bar area, you get the same menu, and it is nice and cool and not super loud. 

• Like 1

Found them on amazon, free returns, boom. So is the 4 in Nike going to be a 4 in Keen, or should I order a 5 as well to be safe?

Ok, I ordered the 5 as well, since it came in camo. 

Now I'll go look at more styles. What I ordered is the Newport H2. Maybe it runs hot and there's something cooler?

Amazon.com: KEEN Big Kid (8-12 Years) Newport H2 Cascade Brown Kamo Sandal - 5 M US Big Kid: Shoes

My DS did Disney at 6 in the Keen Newport sandals. No blisters after a week of walking. One day we were in the parks for 12 hrs straight. His feet held up great.

• Like 1

Ok, now the question of the day. Did you say there's a way I can get it labeled as medical and keep it in line? He has so many problems waiting in line. I need to talk with the behaviorist. These things are not huge like the double Disney. If I had him contained in that seat, he might wait a lot better. Even with the DAS, there can be waits of 45 minutes or more, which is quite challenging with him. On some rides it would be a pain (like hello, Tower of Terror), but on something like Flight of Passage, he would be much easier to handle with the stroller and the ability to keep the stroller all the way up. The people AROUND us would be more comfortable if he were in the stroller. He would be more comfortable. 

But it's not every ride, and it's not like he can't. Like Space Mountain, if you fastpass or go early, you walk right on. RocknRoller Coaster, wouldn't need it because the line keeps moving. I need to think. Just the ones with a lot of standing in place waiting, he's really challenging in those. Keeping him in the stroller then would be AMAZING. But is that a legitimate use of it? Like is that something they do? 

When you get the DAS tell them that one thing you need is for his stroller to be classified as a wheelchair.  They'll give you something to hang on the stroller so that the people in line will let you in with it. 

• Like 5

Definitely sports style fabric, look for anything that says "cool" in the name or has vents or wicking. It won't stick to him like cotton. Wash well before bringing so the sizing is out of it. 

The water fans help a lot. You can also get battery operated fans that clip to a stroller. Plenty of icy cold drinks. A wet hat or ball cap can be cooling, or just wetting down his hair. A wet bandanna around his neck. Put a pack of baby wipes in a cooler with an ice pack to keep them cool....wiping down with a cool wet wipe can be refreshing. 

Do you think this is an ok plan for clothing? I'm bringing him athletic wear, like basketball gym shorts. They're that polyester stuff, very breezy. Also he has some synthetic shirts to match that seem like they would breath. And he picked up tonight a shirt that looks like a polo and matching shorts but both are made with this athletic wear material. Does that seem good to you?

He was in normal cotton twill shorts (hand me downs) and normal cotton t-shirts on our September sauna trip, so I was trying to find anything to get cooler even than shorts and a t-shirt.

I used to be as unbelievably sensitive as he is, so I get it. I've been doing the steam room so long, I can finally take it. But he really really struggles. If we have a stroller to haul a little weight, we could take in frozen water bottles. Is there some other trick like that for keeping cool? We got him the spray fan water bottle thing and that helps amazingly. He needs an ice cube vest.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 2

There are strollers that look like typical strollers with shades that are hitting 110pound capacities, so they'll be perfect for him.

So you think it's good now? I was hoping that the humidity might be low and then the heat wouldn't feel bad. Like where we live, high 80s is as hot as it gets, even in summer. Like we might have 2 or 3 days that hit low 90s. It's often not even warm enough for him to swim outside because the Y pool is unheated. So 90 with a pleasant level of humidity would be a nice summer day to us. But when we were there in September, it was high 80s to 90 with sweltering, sweatroom level humidity. He just had extreme trouble dealing with it. So I have to have a plan to be safe, kwim? His aggressive behaviors are level 3 on the GARS. Like I really have to have every option I can have thought out. To be safe and keep everyone safe, I have to have plans.

It's much better now than in September, for sure. More breeze, less humidity. Less overbearingly hot. 

And maybe half days, where you bail out and go to the pool, or hang in the hotel watching movies, needs to be on the table as an option. Also, figure out what rides have shaded or better yet, air conditioned lines. Like Pirates, for instance. Eat inside. Stay hydrated. 

• Like 3

We had wheelchair privileges for ddĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s stroller-looking chair and we used the medical aid stations for cooling off. There are also hidden lounges that sometimes you can access if you have sufficient need.

FWIW, a battery operated personal fan and a cooling towel (you wet it to activate it) are things I used when I lived in the hot, hot south.

• Like 1

Referring back to the part about crocs not fitting right - we learned a few years ago that they come in widths. One of my kids can only wear the traditional wide ones, but my other kid can only wear the narrower kinds. On the crocs website they separate by width. A store employee told me that the ones with a white band around the base of the shoe are narrower.

• Like 1

DD wears Keens all summer.  She is quite sensitive (autism) and the Keens don't bother her.  She has wide thick feet so it is hard to find something that will work for her. 

They wear really, really well, but dd is hard on shoes. She doesn't wear them out all the way, but definitely wears them down by the end of summer.

We like the style with the velcro adjusters (easier to put on hot, sweaty  or wet feet) and closed toe for protection. 

BTW. Dd can't stand Croks.  Her feet sweat and then her feet slip around inside them.  

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

maybe figure out where he can cool off and have a break? Does Disney have any kind of family rooms for breaks? Or consider resaurants, etc? Like at Sea World I always would go the bar in Sharks because there is usually no wait for the bar area, you get the same menu, and it is nice and cool and not super loud. 

This is something I haven't really nailed at Disney. We've done a lot of table service, but some of the places have long waits, like 45 minutes to an hour, which is REALLY frustrating with him. I've heard/read you can order at the bars, and I've never done it! The waiting area for the 50s Prime Time is the bar area (set up to look like a home, haha), and it was very busy and unpleasant to wait in. But I get what you're saying, to try new things, out of the way things, less common things. 

I think mainly we need to go be quiet. I'm realizing maybe we didn't find those places because they're the seating areas for the quick service places. I might have a small lightbulb moment here...

Definitely sports style fabric, look for anything that says "cool" in the name or has vents or wicking. It won't stick to him like cotton. Wash well before bringing so the sizing is out of it. 

The water fans help a lot. You can also get battery operated fans that clip to a stroller. Plenty of icy cold drinks. A wet hat or ball cap can be cooling, or just wetting down his hair. A wet bandanna around his neck. Put a pack of baby wipes in a cooler with an ice pack to keep them cool....wiping down with a cool wet wipe can be refreshing. 

Ok, you win the prize of the day!! I had no clue there was such a thing! :D

• Like 2

We had wheelchair privileges for ddĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s stroller-looking chair and we used the medical aid stations for cooling off. There are also hidden lounges that sometimes you can access if you have sufficient need.

FWIW, a battery operated personal fan and a cooling towel (you wet it to activate it) are things I used when I lived in the hot, hot south.

Ok, I'm gonna need to find a map and know where these stations are. That's a really good option to have. 

Referring back to the part about crocs not fitting right - we learned a few years ago that they come in widths. One of my kids can only wear the traditional wide ones, but my other kid can only wear the narrower kinds. On the crocs website they separate by width. A store employee told me that the ones with a white band around the base of the shoe are narrower.

Interesting!