Menu

Jumping ship in the middle of 4 year history cycle

Dd1 will finally be in the right range to begin history from Catholic Textbook Project. She will be in 6th next year. I love the look of these books. We are just finishing year 2 of the classical 4 year history cycle though. I worry that missing out on the more recent history will be detrimental and CTP doesn’t seem to cover this in their first 2 books. I keep talking myself into and out of different courses of action. I would appreciate any btdt advice or experience with CTP.

Both of mine were somewhat out-of-kilter with their history from 7th grade and on. They loved combined history/lit classes, and it didn't always work out chronologically.

One used CLEP tests and didn't have to take history in college, and my younger one is currently acing World Lit II and World History I in college. She says that she already knows 90% of it. She just turned in a paper analyzing some of Cicero's writings in a historical content for World History I that got a 100%. She got that from four years of Latin and her history studies in high school.

• Like 1

My kids have the whole SOTW series on their kindles, so I haven't ever had a problem adjusting our history trajectory. For example, last year we did medieval history, finally finishing in December of this school year. In January, we started US history (which begins with the first peoples coming to America via the land bridge). The program we're using goes 2 years. I don't know if we'll go back to ancients after that or pick up with early modern world. Likely ancients. My oldest did ancients, medieval, first year of US History, then modern world history. It was fine. You can do whatever you want. Exposure is the key here. They'll hit it all again in high school from the beginning. :)

• Like 1

The books are just as wonderful as they look. Do it :)

Any history is good, and honestly the more recent stuff is a lot darker or can feel that way, so no issue putting it off. She'll get there. 

Also fabulous are the supplement books for Notgrass history. CTP textbooks are better, but i think I'll end up combining CTP textbooks with some of the primary source readings in the Notgrass supplement books. They have things like poems, speeches, letters written by famous people, a sample of the New England Primer, hymns, etc. Fabulous stuff. 

• Like 3

Go for it! We did a year with no history in middle school to focus on World Cultures & Comparative Religions, and I wish we had taken TWO years to do it! :) We ended up with:

- one 6-year chronological history

- one 1-year World Cultures/Comparative Religions

- and then a pot pourri in high school because of DSs changing interests:

1 credit 20th Century World History

1 credit American History

0.25 credit Medieval World History

0.5 credit Church History

0.5 credit each: Gov't and Econ

Really, it's all good! No one can learn ALL of history. ;)

And  I personally think (in retrospect, in seeing how what we ended up with was great), that History is a bit of a "Black Hole" -- you can throw endless hours and still feel like you're "missing" things. So doing THREE sweeps over the same material (albeit in deeper levels) does NOT allow for bunny trails of interest or exploring other Social Studies topics -- or even curtails exploring other interests, esp. in the elementary and middle school years when you don't have to get "required credits" completed, as you do with high school.

Enjoy your year with the Catholic Textbook Project -- and don't feel you MUST somehow try and "catch up" when you return to History. You may find some other things are of interest that you want to explore before hitting high school -- and that will be great! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Enjoy your year with the Catholic Textbook Project -- and don't feel you MUST somehow try and "catch up" when you return to History. You may find some other things are of interest that you want to explore before hitting high school -- and that will be great! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Just to clarify, CTP is history, mostly, other than one year of what is sort of world cultures, sort of, but even that covers a lot of history. The rest is straight out history, divided into American and World.