Menu

USC vs UCs... similar requirements?

hopskipjump

We have crossed USC off dds list because in my mind, it has the same homeschooler requirements as the UCs. Am I mistaken in this thinking? DD will be a senior next year, so it's too late for her to start chasing requirements if so. (she would be applying to the music school)

I've briefly researched, but thought I would ask here first since I know there are people who are familiar with the California universities and might know firsthand. :)

USC as in University of Southern California is a private university and not a state university. It has its own requirements which are less rigid than UC’s a-g requirements. It is also more expensive than the UCs.

“We require SAT Subject tests only from first-year applicants who do not attend a regionally accredited high school (such as home school, some non-accredited parochial or community based programs, even some newer schools). These students must submit three SAT Subject exams, including one in mathematics, in addition to the SAT or ACT. For all other applicants, these exams are optional.

USC requires either SAT or ACT scores from:

All first-year applicants.

Transfer applicants who have accumulated fewer than 30 transferable semester units since graduating high school.“

https://admission.usc.edu/faq/admission_standards.html

“2017-2018 Undergraduate Estimate of Costs

Tuition $53,448

Fees $875

Room and board* $14,886

Books and supplies $1,200

Personal and miscellaneous $1,324

Transportation $540

Total** $72,273†https://financialaid.usc.edu/undergraduates/prospective/how-much-wil-my-education-cost.html

• Like 2

USC offers 1/2 tuition to NMF and has full tuition scholarships. Last yr on CC several of the kids on the parents of class 2017 thread posted about their kids being awarded the scholarships. https://admission.usc.edu/docs/Scholarships.pdf The location of the campus (surrounding area), if you are unfamiliar, was a question for one of the dads when they visited. But, I am pretty sure his Dd is now attending. (It reminded me of conversations similar to Temple.)

https://admission.usc.edu/docs/Scholarships.pdf

• Like 1

USC is very generous with scholarships, including merit scholarships, guarantees to me 100% of need, and has an extremely large and well-connected alumni network.

(And an amazing football team. Fight on!)

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4

USC is very generous with scholarships, including merit scholarships, guarantees to me 100% of need, and has an extremely large and well-connected alumni network.

(And an amazing football team. Fight on!)

My husband got his MBT there (Masters in Business Taxation.)

Go Trojans!  

Back then it cost us $30K for three semesters (tuition only, so $20K in tuition per year) and we thought that was SO EXPENSIVE.  But it was worth it for us.

• Like 2

Very good information! Thank you all!

The music department for her program is one of the very best, but I've heard about that hefty price tag for years - so hadn't looked into it thorougly (since I'd mistakenly thought it was looped in with the UCs requirements... :001_rolleyes: ). She'll have the SATIIs they require, so looks like she can keep it on her list of considerations for the time being!

Good to know about the location situation. Older DD had Temple on her list, so we researched that scenario quite a bit, good to know this is similar. Thanks!