Menu

Clover Creek Physics or a Chem class first or other

My dd is currently in DO Algebra 1 and although she currently has a B she has slowed down and is really fighting for that B. I've heard so many good things about Clover Creek that I thought she would do it next year but now that she is bogging down with math I'm not sure she can handle it. We could wait a year and do some extra Algebra over the 2 summers but that leaves science for next year.

She is not heading for a STEM major. If she goes to college it will be for a humanities degree.

If we wait one year then we probably need to do Chemistry next year which will also need Algebra. I could also skip science since she only needs 3 credits and fill in that time with an Algebra 1.5 so to speak (even if we don't put it on the transcript) while doing Geometry. I do hate letting requirements stack up for the end of school. I like leaving room for recovery if something goes south but...

I don't want her spending all her time on math and science and neglecting those things which she excels at so I don't want to work on Algebra and Geometry and do a science class that requires math too and may take her longer.

Anyone navigated this before or have more insight on if a struggling B student would survive Clover Creek.

My dd is currently in DO Algebra 1 and although she currently has a B she has slowed down and is really fighting for that B. I've heard so many good things about Clover Creek that I thought she would do it next year but now that she is bogging down with math I'm not sure she can handle it. We could wait a year and do some extra Algebra over the 2 summers but that leaves science for next year.

She is not heading for a STEM major. If she goes to college it will be for a humanities degree.

If we wait one year then we probably need to do Chemistry next year which will also need Algebra. I could also skip science since she only needs 3 credits and fill in that time with an Algebra 1.5 so to speak (even if we don't put it on the transcript) while doing Geometry. I do hate letting requirements stack up for the end of school. I like leaving room for recovery if something goes south but...

I don't want her spending all her time on math and science and neglecting those things which she excels at so I don't want to work on Algebra and Geometry and do a science class that requires math too and may take her longer.

Anyone navigated this before or have more insight on if a struggling B student would survive Clover Creek.

Well, I don’t have any BTDT advice as my DD will (hopefully) be in Clover Creek next year, but I would be inclined to say that perhaps the application of algebra to physics will be just the reinforcement she needs to develop strong math-based problem solving skills. Sounds like Jetta’s magic touch might be just what she needs. But what do I know? I’ll be listening to the other replies you receive.

We used Jetta's class to reinforce and apply algebra, and even though DD does not have trouble with algebra, we began AoPS at a younger age and wanted to use her physics class to show her the importance of algebra while finishing up AoPS Intro. I had a similar question for Jetta a few years ago, not about the chemistry/physics sequence but how her class can help DD with algebra.

• Like 1

My dd took Alg 1 in 8th. Second semester was hard for her. I was afraid she'd slog through the rest of high school math if she didn't have algebra 1 down well, so she did a second year of algebra 1 in 9th along with Jetta's Physics course. She still doesn't like math and it still doesn't come easily to her, but she did fine in both Alg 1 and Physics. The first unit was a real stretch for her, and we almost pulled out, but she found her footing and did fine in the course overall. Best of all, she thinks she loves physics! Who'd have thought?

• Like 1

Can you take concurrent with Algebra?

I remember Jetta asking for completion of Algebra with B.

I wouldn't have done concurrent studies, but if you started algebra but are not quite done I would be ok, although you still have to pass the Jetta test :). I'm just thinking of what I would have done with DD back then. Using AoPS means a longer time to get through halfway but it also means a stronger math basis to understand the math stuff required for her physics class. Not sure if that makes sense.

• Like 1

The difficulty of Jetta’s physics isn’t in Algebra. It’s the Conceptual part that’s sometimes hard to really grasp. My kid was always happy on math heavy days because you can actually why with math why things work the way they do and see relationships with equations.

Edited by Roadrunner

At our current rate we will finish Algebra 2/3 of the way through summer. She is struggling but I want her to know it before moving on. Of course, sometimes some chapters are easier so maybe we can pick up the pace. I was just thinking the classes fill up fast and I can't really predict the future.

I was hoping physics would make help her make sense of math since she is such a concrete learner. My husband said he always understod it applied better (physics in college made more sense to him then straight calc for example) and they are more alike but it would probably be better to do a physical science first or some kind of elective science.