Menu

Narcissist/estranged mother left a message on my machine

Kassia

She said she forgives me for everything I've done.  

This is the first time I've heard from her in 4 1/2 years (when she tried to sue me over something she lied about). 

Can't make this stuff up.  

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 5

Delete the message. Do not respond to her. Eat Chocolate or Ice cream and try not to think about her.

Oh, absolutely.  I've learned my lesson over the years.  A friend of mine once told me I should be the bigger person and I tried but it only came back to bite me on the butt.  Never again.  

LOL, classic. Not to make light but I get it.

:grouphug:

"Classic" was my first thought!  DH's was "WTF?"  :p

Edited by Kassia
  • Like 13

Oy vey!

You sound well-equipped to decline the bait and enjoy the emotional health of the family that you built.

I so appreciate and admire people who are able to break the intergenerational cycle of narcissistic wounding in families, Kassia!

Amy

• Like 9

I prefer: don't engage with the illness.

I will acknowledge that your phrasing gives a clearly defined line between the person and their illness and is progressive and can help reduce the stigma associated with mental illness and I applaud you for your ability to do so.

I am not there. I will still use the line "don't engage the crazy" as a reminder to myself of what I have endured and a warning to run far, far away because no matter what, it is a trap.

• Like 10

Oh, absolutely.  I've learned my lesson over the years.  A friend of mine once told me I should be the bigger person and I tried but it only came back to bite me on the butt.  Never again.  

"Classic" was my first thought!  DH's was "WTF?"  :p

me thinks your friend has no clue about NPD.   or would she have said such a thing about any abuser who is still abusing their victims?  (people who make those suggestions should be asked that.)

Oh, gee, how magnanimous of her. Maybe she’s run out of entertainment options and is bored. In other words, thank goodness for voicemail!

probably.    whenever mil calls - with the stupidest questions - it's because she's bored.

• Like 5

that's really nice of you an all - but these people are abusers.  whatever the reason - they do serious damage to other people.

Maize has dealt with mental health issues within her own family for many years and has been open about that.  She is aware of this fact and the damage mentally unhealthy people can do to those around them.  She is just choosing to shift the dialogue/terms she uses and the focus regarding mental health in general and has posted regarding this before.  I seriously doubt she is saying that these people (NPD in particular) are not abusers/can't cause significant harm.

Edited by OneStepAtATime
  • Like 13

that's really nice of you an all - but these people are abusers.  whatever the reason - they do serious damage to other people.

I agree.  And if coping means saying don't engage the crazies...so be it.  Not like her mother knows she is thinking it and that we are all saying it.  Obviously she does not know.  She thinks her daughter is crazy.  So she's pretty far gone. 

• Like 3

And you have an answering machine?! Wow!

Yes, we have a landline because our cell service here is awful (rural area).  

I do think of my mother as mentally ill and I did get to the point where I started thinking that she couldn't help her behavior because of that illness.  But she is dangerous and hurts everyone close to her so I can't have contact with her.  She only upsets me when she hurts the ones I love and those people are all either gone or estranged from her now.  So I feel pretty free.  Cutting her out of my life was one of the healthiest and best things I've ever done.  

• Like 13

I do think of my mother as mentally ill and I did get to the point where I started thinking that she couldn't help her behavior because of that illness.  But she is dangerous and hurts everyone close to her so I can't have contact with her.  She only upsets me when she hurts the ones I love and those people are all either gone or estranged from her now.  So I feel pretty free.  Cutting her out of my life was one of the healthiest and best things I've ever done.  

Just wanted to say I admire your strength of spirit in recognizing and then acting on these very hard facts.  Hugs.

• Like 4

How generous of her.

My mom occasionally tries to make contact under the guise of looking for information for someone else, someone I couldn't possibly resist helping out.  The last one was some distant relative of hers (that I'd never heard of) who wants to adopt, and she claims to be giving them advice.  I'm SURE they're grateful for her input.  Anyway, she wanted to know if I'd talk with them.  Ummm, I adopted 16 years ago; NOTHING is the same with international adoption after 16 years.  Anyway, I didn't respond that day because I was super busy, and I got a follow-up email from her saying, "I know you are as mad as hell at me, but these are good people, and I told them you'd help."  Yeah, I am SURE this couple's best source of information on international adoption was me, not oh, let's say, GOOGLE.   Anyway, it was all to pick a fight, to make her look good (she's generously sharing her wealth of secondhand knowledge about a single adoption that took place 16 years ago) and to make me look selfish.  It was brilliant, really.

Anyway, probably the next email I will get will be something like you've described.  I get them about once a year; I am due for one around Thanksgiving.  Thank goodness I don't care any more.  

• Like 6

that's really nice of you an all - but these people are abusers. whatever the reason - they do serious damage to other people.

I didn't suggest otherwise.

Many mentally ill people behave in abusive ways.

I wasn't trying to be nice? I was stating my preferred phrase.

The words we use and the ways we use them matter. Crazy is generally used to mean mentally deranged, most often in a derogatory sense. Mental derangement, also known as mental illness, is an organic malfunction of the brain. As such it is neither chosen nor under the control of the person affected, and therefor should not be a cause for stigma or contempt.

Using crazy as a label in a situation like the OP's could be problematic for a couple of reasons, both tied to the derogatory aspect of the word. If the person is, in fact, mentally ill--truly crazy--and if that is the source of their behavior--they are not deserving of contempt no matter how problematic the behavior. Avoid them by all means! But they are themselves the primary victim if their disease.

If, on the other hand, we believe the person has the mental and emotional competence to truly choose their behavior (and some narcissistic behavior may well fall in this category), then labelling the person as crazy is even more profoundly problematic as it contributes to the stigma faced by people suffering from true mental illness. It reinforces the idea that craziness, insanity, and associated behaviors are in some degree chosen and therefor contemptible.

My preferred framing for such a relationship would be more like "don't engage with the narcissistic (or abusive) behavior".

Obviously I'm not going to be inside anyone's head policing their thoughts, but I do think it is worthwhile to suggest alternate mindful usage of words. Words frame our thoughts and shape our culture.

Edited by maize
  • Like 6

That sucks.

And you have an answering machine?! Wow!

I do think of my mother as mentally ill and I did get to the point where I started thinking that she couldn't help her behavior because of that illness. But she is dangerous and hurts everyone close to her so I can't have contact with her. She only upsets me when she hurts the ones I love and those people are all either gone or estranged from her now. So I feel pretty free. Cutting her out of my life was one of the healthiest and best things I've ever done.

I have an answering machine and landline, too. Plus I have two phones that have a wire that plugs into the wall. The one phone is push button and the other is...ready for this?...rotary! Kids walk into the kichen and see it and ask me what it is. I had one boy use it to call his mom and he dialed the numbers and then said, “But I do I make it go? Where’s the on button?†Then he realized it was ringing without having to hit an on button.

OP. That message would have driven up my blood pressure. Wow, do these people know how to draw you in or what? Your thoughts have to be, “I’m not the one who needs forgiveness!! You do!†They hope you’ll call back and argue about it so they can stay calm and superior.

Vent about it here whenever you want to. I’m so glad to hear you’re not taking the bait.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

I have an answering machine and landline, too. Plus I have two phones that have a wire that plugs into the wall. The one phone is push button and the other is...ready for this?...rotary! Kids walk into the kichen and see it and ask me what it is. I had one boy use it to call his mom and he dialed the numbers and then said, “But I do I make it go? Where’s the on button?†Then he realized it was ringing without having to hit an on button.

OP. That message would have driven up my blood pressure. Wow, do these people know how to draw you in or what? Your thoughts have to be, “I’m not the one who needs forgiveness!! You do!†They hope you’ll call back and argue about it so they can stay calm and superior.

Vent about it here whenever you want to. I’m so glad to hear you’re not taking the bait.

Too funny about the rotary phone!  I love that!  

Thanks to EVERYONE for being so kind and supportive.  I am so fortunate to be a part of this group.   :grouphug:

• Like 5

I hear you, but sometimes you just wanna cut to the chase and say this crazy person is ruining my dang life.  She isn't saying it to her mother.  She's telling people on the internet who will not be calling up her mother to tell her.  Family of the "crazy" suffer a lot.  And if you think the help for the mentally ill is sucky, the help for their family is worse.  BTDT.  I'll stick up for a mentally ill person any day of the week, but I get needing to vent and not worry about words. 

I didn't suggest otherwise.

Many mentally ill people behave in abusive ways.

I wasn't trying to be nice? I was stating my preferred phrase.

The words we use and the ways we use them matter. Crazy is generally used to mean mentally deranged, most often in a derogatory sense. Mental derangement, also known as mental illness, is an organic malfunction of the brain. As such it is neither chosen nor under the control of the person affected, and therefor should not be a cause for stigma or contempt.

Using crazy as a label in a situation like the OP's could be problematic for a couple of reasons, both tied to the derogatory aspect of the word. If the person is, in fact, mentally ill--truly crazy--and if that is the source of their behavior--they are not deserving of contempt no matter how problematic the behavior. Avoid them by all means! But they are themselves the primary victim if their disease.

If, on the other hand, we believe the person has the mental and emotional competence to truly choose their behavior (and some narcissistic behavior may well fall in this category), then labelling the person as crazy is even more profoundly problematic as it contributes to the stigma faced by people suffering from true mental illness. It reinforces the idea that craziness, insanity, and associated behaviors are in some degree chosen and therefor contemptible.

My preferred framing for such a relationship would be more like "don't engage with the narcissistic (or abusive) behavior".

Obviously I'm not going to be inside anyone's head policing their thoughts, but I do think it is worthwhile to suggest alternate mindful usage of words. Words frame our thoughts and shape our culture.

• Like 2

Too funny about the rotary phone!  I love that!  

Thanks to EVERYONE for being so kind and supportive.  I am so fortunate to be a part of this group.   :grouphug:

this group has been a life-saver for me.

I just got an email from my brother trying to "show me" how crazy his ex is.  (they're both crazy.).  he cc'd most of her relatives. I did jot him a quick note pointing out that HER relatives are not going to change their minds by including everyone else in an email chain.   to stick to the subject at hand -  picking up his belongings, and do NOT talk about ANYTHING else!!!!  period!  yes, I admit, I'm trying to teach the pig to sing.   but he's not singing to me, he's finally feeling the effects of having been cut off by his own family, and not just his kids. 

then I sent an email to his older daughter - again - advising she read boundaries, and about narcissistic personality disorder.  including links.   and a bit more about the toxicity of our grandmother and the damage she did.

I'm glad for what I've learned . . . . but . . . sometimes I think I'm crazy for it.

• Like 1

I think some people find it easier if they make a distinction between "My mom is a horrible person" and "My mom has a disease that, unfortunately, makes her act like a horrible person". And other people find it easier if they don't have to make that distinction. And as long as we all know what's best for us, that's what matters, right?

• Like 2

I think some people find it easier if they make a distinction between "My mom is a horrible person" and "My mom has a disease that, unfortunately, makes her act like a horrible person". And other people find it easier if they don't have to make that distinction. And as long as we all know what's best for us, that's what matters, right?

Well, I don't necessarily disagree with you on the merits of this particular discussion re: mental illness, but re: the bolded, no, that is not what matters.  What matters is the truth, imo, and/or what's best for the group with the greatest claim to being done the best for (not always me).

• Like 1