Menu

I fall asleep easily, but I don’t stay asleep.

Hyacinth

I am 50 and had this for much of the last year.  I blamed it on my husband's snoring, but a multi-pronged approach helped me:  cutting down caffeine (even when it did not keep me from going to sleep, it was keeping me from staying asleep), encouraging my husband to work out because he snores much less when he does, and occasionally taking a 3 mg melatonin gummi.  I still wake up around 6, which is before my alarm most mornings, but I am getting at least 7 or so straight hours of sleep.  My husband's snoring was definitely a factor, but I am better able to sleep through that when I am sleeping more deeply.  

Age, hormones.

I found that a Meijer brand Women's century vitamin helped me quite a bit with the night waking. I didn't start taking it for that but after I started I realized I was sleeping through the night much more often (like 6 out of 7 nights).

• Like 1

Mine was peri-menopause hormones plus a wonky thyroid. Getting my thyroid medicated helped a lot. Getting (mostly) past the whole peri mess helped some more. I still occasionally have spells of insomnia, but on the whole I sleep much better now than I have in decades. Maybe ever.

I'm pretty sure it's hormonal too.  It started for me around 45 as well, and has continued into my 50's.  I haven't found a cure yet.  Most nights I get back to sleep, but sometimes I just get up for an hour and read.  The only thing that really guarantees me a great, solid-night sleep is if I'm sick and take something like Vick's NyQuil.  That pretty much knocks me out for a whole night!  Wish I could take it regularly!

I haven't hit the menopause stage but I've had multiple periods of this in my life.  Every time, when I drastically increase my Vitamin D intake, It goes away quickly (within two weeks depending on how much I up my D but sometimes it only takes a couple of days).  In your shoes I would take 50,000 IU daily for one week (toxicity with Vitamin D is pretty much nonexistent) and then drop down to a maintenance dose of 10,000 IU for the next week.  At that point you should know if it helps or not.

• Like 1

I'm right in there age-wise with you lovely ladies and am going through the exact same thing. Mine, however, I attribute to a horrible knocking sound in the heater vent in the rental we're in. I've resorted to medicating, which I hate. Some of these suggestions sound great too, so hoping something can help me get through the next few cold months without losing my marbles.

I go through spells even though I am completely past menopause.

If I go several nights with only 4 hours sleep I will take an Ativan if I wake up. There is only so long I can go without sleep. Am pretty sensitive to drugs so I don't know if it would help everyone, but it is magical for me.

I am 19 years post-menopause, and I have the same problem.   As someone else said, a shot of Nyquil before bed is the best thing, but I can't take that every night.  I've tried Melatonin and Natural Calm and both disturbed my sleep more.  When I wake up all the worries swirl around in my brain, and despite my best efforts I can't shut them off, so I'm unable to go back to sleep. 

• Like 1

I am 19 years post-menopause, and I have the same problem.   As someone else said, a shot of Nyquil before bed is the best thing, but I can't take that every night.  I've tried Melatonin and Natural Calm and both disturbed my sleep more.  When I wake up all the worries swirl around in my brain, and despite my best efforts I can't shut them off, so I'm unable to go back to sleep. 

I know the feeling!

• Like 1

And how does one do this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are a number of products on the market to support adrenals regardless of your adrenal #'s.

my ND was okay with the gaia adrenal support (I'm allergic to the eugenol in holy basil leaf :glare:  - so I can't have about 50% of the adrenal sups on the market.  :angry:   )

gaia also makes one specifically for night.  never tried it.  (looks interesting. ^_^   amazon has it for S&S - so I'll try it for night time.)

ND prefers the integrative theraputics cortisol manager.   it gets pricey, so instead I take jarrow ashwaghanda (had been doing pure encapsulations, but they had a price spike. jarrow was the only one I felt was comparable.)  and the relora separately. 

phosphatydilserine makes me feel sick. :ack2:

If I'm getting adrenal shakes  - I add  jujube as needed.

my cortisol levels run high.  normal starts higher in the morning, and goes down as the day progresses, so they are low at bedtime.  I takes support sups am/pm regularly, and midday as needed.

exercise makes a big difference too, combining the two my sleep is much better.  :thumbup:

I've had the best result with a good yoga practice - at least 3x's a week doing a 50 minute practice.

there was a long time I'd wake up in the middle of the night - and that was it.  I was awake.  :toetap05:

some people have low cortisol (the only test you want is the spit test. the blood test is worthless.)  - those are the only people who should be taking any sup containing cortisol.  (hence why you test.)  when my cortisol gets too high - I have muscle pain.

• Like 1

Right there with you, and I am working full time, so no napping.

Last night I went to bed around 9:30 because I was so tired.  I fell asleep pretty easily.  Up at 3am.  I made myself stay in bed.  Checked the clock again around 4pm, finally got back to sleep around 5am and slept until my alarm at 6:30.  

That is somewhat typical.  

I am tired.  A lot.

Last night I went to bed around 9:30 because I was so tired.  I fell asleep pretty easily.  Up at 3am.  I made myself stay in bed.  Checked the clock again around 4pm, finally got back to sleep around 5am and slept until my alarm at 6:30.  

That is somewhat typical.  

I am tired.  A lot.

Yes, this is my pattern and my life.  I found that it helped me to stop panicking about the lack of sleep and how tired I am going to be all the time.  It just seems easier for me mentally.  But the lack of sleep definitely affects the quality of my life and relationships.  

This started for my mom around that age and I'm DREADING it. So, I think it's normal but  :grouphug: .

I believe this is evolution (or whatever you believe in) preparing grandmas to take care of the early-morning cooking and baby-caring in the wee hours so new moms don't go crazy.

Or in the case of delayed child-bearing, I plan to work super early at the office, and then go on site for afternoons, and be home in time to see my kids play their sports games. Three cheers for the leaders of the pod!  :hurray:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37025092

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-mother-daughter-competition-orcas-menopause.html

(Also, can we take a moment to all collectively smolder about how little doctors know about this basic life stage?!? What do they teach these people in school? Do they listen to their mothers? This is why I see an NP not an MD.)

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

I'm 48 and this has been happening to me for a couple years. It's like once I'm awake, my mind can't settle down and it just spins around and around with worries. Back when I was in my 30s, an older friend warned me about it. She said it was the worst part of perimenopause and no one ever talks about, so she wanted me to be prepared

If it wasn't this board, I wouldn't know how common this is. I have suffered from it for years, yet when I mention it to my doc, he acts like it's a complete mystery to him. Gah!

kinda sounds as if perimenopausal women are mystery to him - because if you put perimenopausal women in a room together they'll all tell you that either they're going through this or counting their blessings that they're the only one among  their friends to not be going through this. 

I'll toss out l-theanine as a possible help - less neg side effects than melatonin 

also meditation 

• Like 2

I'm 53 -- way past meno.

What's really helped:

1 -- Lemon balm tea (sounds airy fairy, but they give this to newborns and elderly who get upset in the late afternoons. It will make you sleepy. Don't sip and drive. Buy the actual leaves and brew your own tea.)

2 -- I wear ear phones and listen to a podcast that I love as I go to sleep (I have a timer programmed on my ipod to turn the podcast off after 20 mins.) When I wake up at night, I turn the podcast back on and my body is back to sleep within 20 seconds.

It's like I've Pavlovian-trained my body. Hear this podcast: go to sleep.

Edited: too many typos.

Alley

Edited by Alicia64
  • Like 2

This started for my mom around that age and I'm DREADING it. So, I think it's normal but  :grouphug: .

I believe this is evolution (or whatever you believe in) preparing grandmas to take care of the early-morning cooking and baby-caring in the wee hours so new moms don't go crazy.

Or in the case of delayed child-bearing, I plan to work super early at the office, and then go on site for afternoons, and be home in time to see my kids play their sports games. Three cheers for the leaders of the pod!  :hurray:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-37025092

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-mother-daughter-competition-orcas-menopause.html

(Also, can we take a moment to all collectively smolder about how little doctors know about this basic life stage?!? What do they teach these people in school? Do they listen to their mothers? This is why I see an NP not an MD.)

mil lived with us at this age - the trouble she could get into in the middle of the night . . ..

and this is why I've wanted female gyns . . . at least they've gone through it too.

kinda sounds as if perimenopausal women are mystery to him - because if you put perimenopausal women in a room together they'll all tell you that either they're going through this or counting their blessings that they're the only one among  their friends to not be going through this. 

I'll toss out l-theanine as a possible help - less neg side effects than melatonin 

also meditation 

yes, this is good.

when i'd wake up in the night - I'd take another dose of my adrenal support, and I could actually go back to sleep.

Edited by gardenmom5