Menu

Reading Program for a Logical Thinker

farm.mama

Hello, I am new here so please forgive me if this question has been asked/answered already! I am seeking advice regarding reading curriculum.

I have a 6 (almost 7) year old boy who is excelling with Math U See but finding reading a challenge. I have been doing a combination of Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons and Explode the Code Book 1 and 1.5 (which he is finding boring now .. he is not a workbook kid) I have realized that he is a logical, literal, concrete thinker and needs to understand "why". Sight words or words that "break rules" are very frustrating for him. 

He even found "making" letters difficult - he needed to know "how to build them". He has been using Handwriting Without Tears and it has been great. It's exciting to see math and handwriting "click" for him, and I'd love to find a reading program that will do the same!

I have heard a lot about All About Reading and Logic of English. Do these curriculums teach the how and why in reading? Or are there other suggestions?

AAR explains the rules. It has no workbook and I have not used the readers that much. Imha all you really need are the teachers books the student activity books and a set of phonogram cards. The full student pack is handy as is the letter tile app or tiles but you don't need them. AAS also explains all the rules but from a spelling angle and slower.

Logic of English is excellent.  If you are looking for a cheaper, yet still excellent option, Memoria Press Classical Phonics is it.  It is just a simple book with lists of words that you read (you can get accompanying workbooks and readers to go with it).  The phonics rules are listed at the bottom of the page and you do not move on until the child masters the words / rules. Simple and straightforward but works!  Great tool!

If you want cheaper but with rules and explanations, my Syllables program then Phonics Pathways and Webster’s Speller.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/syllablesspellsu.html

I also have a document that shows why and how to teach all of the sight words phonetically and what are the rule breaking patterns and why:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/Resources/Sight%20Words%20by%20Sound1.pdf

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1

That's great! Thank you so much for that info! 

ElizabethB, thank you for sharing those resources and documents. The documents were a very interesting read and super helpful. I'm so glad my son is not "crazy" for finding sight words frustrating and that they can indeed be sounded out.  :001_smile:

Edited by farm.mama
  • Like 1