Menu

Missionary stories

Trial and Triumph (Hannula) -- short (2-3 page) biographies of almost 4 dozen Christian martyrs, from 2nd century to 20th century

More missionary story recommendations in these past threads:

"Suggestions for missionary biographies"

"Need missionary biography that is well-written!"

For other non-religious, exciting real-life adventures:

Great Escapes of World War II (Sullivan) -- non-fiction; short stories of 7 real life WW2 soldiers

- True Adventure Collection (Dowswell) -- 3-book compilation of short stories of real people (Spies, Heroes, and Survivors)

Winged Watchman (Van Stockum) -- historical fiction based on a real Dutch family under Nazi occupation

- Escape From Warsaw (Serraillier) -- historical fiction based on a real Polish children surviving WW2 separated from their parents

- Soul Surfer (Hamilton) -- Bethany Hamilton, champion surfer who is a Christian, who lost an arm to a shark at age 13

- Kon Tiki (Heyersdahl) -- real-life adventure of 6 men who recreated crossing the Pacific on a log raft

- Men of Colditz; Escape from Colditz (Reid) -- real-life escapes of British POW soldiers from a top Germany prison camp

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Oh my children’s minister had a ton of missionary biographies by the same company. She lent them to my son but I can’t remember the publisher. I’ll see if I can find them on Amazon.

Here’s a link to an ebook. They are “Heroes of the Faith†my son read several and liked them well enough to read more. https://www.christianbook.com/charles-spurgeon-the-prince-preachers-ebook/dan-harmon/9781624160547/pd/39524EB?event=ESRCQ

Edited by Rach

Oh my children’s minister had a ton of missionary biographies by the same company. She lent them to my son but I can’t remember the publisher. I’ll see if I can find them on Amazon.

Here’s a link to an ebook. They are “Heroes of the Faith†my son read several and liked them well enough to read more. https://www.christianbook.com/charles-spurgeon-the-prince-preachers-ebook/dan-harmon/9781624160547/pd/39524EB?event=ESRCQ

When I was growing up, I read a bunch of missionary books by John and Elizabeth Sherrill (the authors of God's Smuggler).

There's also a ton of "Christian Heroes: Then and Now" biographies that are great.  Each book covers the life of one person.  Has the country's (or continents) shape on the cover  like this:

https://www.amazon.com/David-Livingstone-Africas-Trailblazer-Christian-ebook/dp/B004PGNBG0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1519229543&sr=1-1&keywords=Christian+Heroes%3A+Then+and+now

There is one more series but I can't find it yet.

We enjoy the Hero Tales series by Dave and Neta Jackson. Each book contains short biographies followed by stories about each "hero" that teaches various character qualities. 

There is another series, Christian Heroes: Then & Now that my kids have read. (I haven't read one myself, but my daughter enjoys them).

Thank you for this great list, Lori. I took a look at the links, and found some books that I think my picky son will like :). 

Trial and Triumph (Hannula) -- short (2-3 page) biographies of almost 4 dozen Christian martyrs, from 2nd century to 20th century

More missionary story recommendations in these past threads:

"Suggestions for missionary biographies"

"Need missionary biography that is well-written!"

For other non-religious, exciting real-life adventures:

Great Escapes of World War II (Sullivan) -- non-fiction; short stories of 7 real life WW2 soldiers

- True Adventure Collection (Dowswell) -- 3-book compilation of short stories of real people (Spies, Heroes, and Survivors)

Winged Watchman (Van Stockum) -- historical fiction based on a real Dutch family under Nazi occupation

- Escape From Warsaw (Serraillier) -- historical fiction based on a real Polish children surviving WW2 separated from their parents

- Soul Surfer (Hamilton) -- Bethany Hamilton, champion surfer who is a Christian, who lost an arm to a shark at age 13

- Kon Tiki (Heyersdahl) -- real-life adventure of 6 men who recreated crossing the Pacific on a log raft

- Men of Colditz; Escape from Colditz (Reid) -- real-life escapes of British POW soldiers from a top Germany prison camp

We are reading Hero Tales right now too, as part of MFW ECC, and my son is enjoying those as well. 

We enjoy the Hero Tales series by Dave and Neta Jackson. Each book contains short biographies followed by stories about each "hero" that teaches various character qualities. 

There is another series, Christian Heroes: Then & Now that my kids have read. (I haven't read one myself, but my daughter enjoys them).