Menu

Two questions for the vegans here.

Greta

Hi Ladies!  (and gents?)

I was wondering if you could help out this newbie vegan (vegan since August 2017) with two things.

The first is suggestions for non-sweet breakfasts.  I've been eating oatmeal with berries or Kashi nugget cereal with berries and soy milk, and I'm getting pretty bored with those options!  I tried making a tofu scramble as a substitute for eggs once and it was AWFUL.  I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but it was super bitter.  My only other idea is to keep some tortillas and chile beans and roasted potatoes on hand for a simple breakfast burrito.  

Initially, this was only about food for me, but I am trying to go "cruelty free" with cosmetics and clothing as well.  I'm having a hard time with both because my super sensitive lips can only tolerate one brand of lipstick, and it isn't a cruelty-free brand.   :crying:   But the more pressing issue at the moment is, do you know of any high-quality brands of shoes that aren't made of leather?  I need both arch support and metatarsal support because I have pain in one foot that will interfere with my ability to walk and to exercise if I wear shoes that lack those features.  My ability to exercise is pretty critical for my psychological health, so I will admit, I'm going to be very picky about this, and I may not be able to go cruelty-free in this area if I can't find something that supports my foot properly.  So I thought I would see if the hive can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for your help.   :001_smile:

I wonder what went wrong with your tofu scramble?   I've never had mine be bitter.... I'll dig out a recipe for you. 

for the shoes - I've not had any difficulty finding workout shoes that were vegan.  Trail runners or hiker is sometimes a bit harder but they too exist.  With our shitty wet weather here we usually go for fabric tops and spray with water repellent.  Are you looking for workout or street shoes? Street is harder but there are options there too.... 

Wanna share what lippy is working for you or what ingredients you know is problematic? Dd knows tons more about makeup than I do and she might be able to point you. 

• Like 3

Rice pudding, change up your oatmeal. Baked oatmeal is good. You can make muffins. hummus and veggies is also a good breakfast option. I am definitely not vegan but we have vegan house guests from time to time. black eyed pea hummus in a wrap with sauteed veggies is also a great breakfast. 

Aren't there vegan birkenstocks? 

• Like 1

Well, I'm not a vegan, but my kids love leftover lentils and rice for breakfast.  I cook them in water, and fry onions and garlic in olive oil, then add the lentils and onions, and some balsamic vinegar to taste, plus salt and pepper.  They usually have a little yoghurt with it but you can add flatbread, or if you like some sort of pickle would be nice.

• Like 2

Ok so for a basic scramble: 

One block of tofu. I prefer firm, not super firm.  I don't drain it hard or press it because I like a bit of moisture in my vegg.  I just unwrap, rinse, drop into a bowl and go at it with a pastry cutter until it's just a bunch of chunks. Dump into a pan & start heating over low med heat 

in a small bowl mix: 
1/2 tsp salt 

1/2 tsp garlic from a jar or a squashed clove or what have you 

1/2 tsp cumin 

1/4 tsp chili powder 

1/4 tsp turmeric 

if you have kala namak, great, if you don't, don't sweat it. 

Add about 2 tsp water to the spices, stir, pour over the tofu and stir thoroughly. Continue heating through. I often end up adding more water. 

Done when it's warm. 

I like it with heated salsa or leftover veg, either plain or in a wrap or on toast. 

Keeps well in fridge for a couple days. 

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 7

Your leftover veg from last night's dinner in a chickpea omelette is also a good option. The thing with the chickpea omelette IMO is that it takes a long time to cook. It also looks right but if you actually remember (& like eggs), it tastes nothing like it - so that takes a bit of getting used to. It's not that I dislike it, it's that it's always a bit of a disappointment. 

I've done variations on this https://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/chickpea-omelet/#gs.f55L1Oc

and this http://ohsheglows.com/2013/09/15/jumbo-chickpea-pancake-a-high-protein-filling-vegan-breakfast-or-lunch/

• Like 2

Not vegan but I like cooking quinoa with cranberries and maple syrup (could use stevia instead) and sprinkled with almond slivers.

I've made "ricotta" pancakes with cashew ricotta and they were tasty. I would've used egg in mine but I think it would probably work to substitute ground flaxseed mixed with water and left to gel. 

• Like 1

How about non-dairy yogurt w/ some nuts & fruit? 

Soup? I got on a kick for awhile where I made soup everyday for breakfast, if you keep broth on hand, throw in some leftover veggies and legumes it is pretty quick.

Non-dairy smoothies? I use pea protein or nut butter and nut/coconut milk.

I like chopped apple, coco cream, sprinkle of pecans, unsweet almond milk, sprinkled w/ cinnamon and eat it like cereal. (good w/ blueberries too but no cinnamon)

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone, for all of the great suggestions!  I knew you guys would have ideas that I hadn't considered.   :001_smile:

for the shoes - I've not had any difficulty finding workout shoes that were vegan.  Trail runners or hiker is sometimes a bit harder but they too exist.  With our shitty wet weather here we usually go for fabric tops and spray with water repellent.  Are you looking for workout or street shoes? Street is harder but there are options there too.... 

Wanna share what lippy is working for you or what ingredients you know is problematic? Dd knows tons more about makeup than I do and she might be able to point you. 

Eventually I will need new workout shoes too, but I'm going to wear out my current ones.  So what I'm in the immediate market for is street shoes, particularly sandals because summer comes early and stays late here, so the weather will be warm in no time.  

What I'm wearing right now is Clinique "lip chubbies".  They are truly fragrance-free.  A lot of companies that claim to be fragrance free will still use things like rosemary, mint, or citrus.  My lips can't tolerate natural fragrances any better than conventional fragrances, so it still burns and chaps badly.  And I need a really moisturizing formula, not a long-lasting one and definitely not a "plumping" one (those burn the worst!).  If your dd knows something that fits the bill, tell her I am profoundly grateful!

Aren't there vegan birkenstocks? 

Oh, are there?  That would be great because they have both arch support and metatarsal support.  I didn't know this, because the only ones I've owned were leather.  Thanks!

Ok so for a basic scramble: 

One block of tofu. I prefer firm, not super firm.  I don't drain it hard or press it because I like a bit of moisture in my vegg.  I just unwrap, rinse, drop into a bowl and go at it with a pastry cutter until it's just a bunch of chunks. Dump into a pan & start heating over low med heat 

in a small bowl mix: 
1/2 tsp salt 

1/2 tsp garlic from a jar or a squashed clove or what have you 

1/2 tsp cumin 

1/4 tsp chili powder 

1/4 tsp turmeric 

if you have kala namak, great, if you don't, don't sweat it. 

Add about 2 tsp water to the spices, stir, pour over the tofu and stir thoroughly. Continue heating through. I often end up adding more water. 

Done when it's warm. 

I like it with heated salsa or leftover veg, either plain or in a wrap or on toast. 

Keeps well in fridge for a couple days. 

I am going to try this tomorrow morning.  Thank you!  Hopefully I'll have better luck with a second attempt.  

do you like pancakes or french toast recipes or are those too sweet for brekkie for you? 

Not for everyday, but I do enjoy that kind of stuff on the weekend.  If you have favorite recipes to share, I'd be grateful for those too.  My first attempt at vegan French toast didn't go so well.  It was a chia-based coating.  It tasted fine, the problem was that it stuck to the pan really badly, and it made the bread pretty soggy.  Maybe it was more about technique?  I think there's a learning curve to vegan cooking!  

Shoes: some New Balance shoes are suitable for vegans.

Thanks, I'll check into that.

Soup? I got on a kick for awhile where I made soup everyday for breakfast, if you keep broth on hand, throw in some leftover veggies and legumes it is pretty quick.

That sounds really good!

I usually have a smoothie, but my favorite alternative is diced potatoes cooked in my air fryer. I sprinkle them with steak seasoning & serve with a side of ketchup mixed with sriracha or hot sauce. It’s soooo yummy.

I've been thinking about getting an air fryer!  Is there a particular brand/model you would recommend?

Edited by Greta

Eventually I will need new workout shoes too, but I'm going to wear out my current ones.  So what I'm in the immediate market for is street shoes, particularly sandals because summer comes early and stays late here, so the weather will be warm in no time. 

There are lots of sports sandals that are vegan. Check out Teva and Keen. I like the Keens because they have more support.

• Like 2

I do a kind of mash up of these two tofu scramble recipes and it's really good.  I've made each individually as well and they turned out great.  As I recall, one is more work than the other so I do the easy work of the easier one with some of the ingredients of the other one. 

https://namelymarly.com/scrambled-tofu/

http://ohsheglows.com/2012/02/23/high-protein-vegan-breakfast-burrito/

HTH!

• Like 2

Hi Ladies!  (and gents?)

I was wondering if you could help out this newbie vegan (vegan since August 2017) with two things.

The first is suggestions for non-sweet breakfasts.  I've been eating oatmeal with berries or Kashi nugget cereal with berries and soy milk, and I'm getting pretty bored with those options!  I tried making a tofu scramble as a substitute for eggs once and it was AWFUL.  I don't know if I did something wrong or what, but it was super bitter.  My only other idea is to keep some tortillas and chile beans and roasted potatoes on hand for a simple breakfast burrito.  

Initially, this was only about food for me, but I am trying to go "cruelty free" with cosmetics and clothing as well.  I'm having a hard time with both because my super sensitive lips can only tolerate one brand of lipstick, and it isn't a cruelty-free brand.   :crying:   But the more pressing issue at the moment is, do you know of any high-quality brands of shoes that aren't made of leather?  I need both arch support and metatarsal support because I have pain in one foot that will interfere with my ability to walk and to exercise if I wear shoes that lack those features.  My ability to exercise is pretty critical for my psychological health, so I will admit, I'm going to be very picky about this, and I may not be able to go cruelty-free in this area if I can't find something that supports my foot properly.  So I thought I would see if the hive can point me in the right direction!

Thanks in advance for your help.   :001_smile:

For breakfasts I eat whole wheat bread with peanut butter.  I don't love it, but I eat it.

I did used to like tofu plus tomatoes plus greens plus potatoes, all sort of fried up together.

For makeup issues, I just don't wear makeup.  I didn't really wear makeup beforehand, so it's not a big sacrifice, but fwiw as something non-negotiable, I wouldn't wear makeup now if the only brand I could tolerate did animal testing.  IMO, animal testing is worse than killing a wild animal for food, morally speaking.  It's torture, and not for nourishment or medical necessity or any of it.

For shoes I wear used sneakers (all man-made) and Teva sandals and occasionally canvas slip-ons, like Keds; I don't need a ton of arch support, though.  I am still looking for the ideal shoe.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure there are not vegan birkenstocks.  I think I tried to buy them once, getting ones with manmade uppers, but found out that one layer of the sole is always leather, or something.  I don't remember exactly.

They do make some kids ones that are all that rubbery stuff Crocs are made out of, I think.  They may have those for adults now too.

• Like 1

I don't care for breakfast food or sweet stuff either. I usually have soup or a potato topped with salsa. I would love hashbrowns but don't have time in the morning. A lot of people are starting to get into savory oats. I'm planning to try those too. I don't like oatmeal but I think I'd like them if they were savory.

I love Teva! My mother needs good support and she has recently started wearing Teva more.

• Like 1

My tofu scramble is close to hornblowers. I’ve only made a few different ones, but my favorite is from “Vegan with a Vengence†by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. I’m fairly certain it’s on Isa’s website and I’ve never found it to be bitter. I prefer my tofu scramble with extra firm sprouted tofu. Before I heard about black salt, we never added it and I liked it just fine then. We add black salt now, but if I was out, I’d still like ot the same. She’s got a french toast recipe too. No chia seeds. Plus, her recipes are “normal†and not overly obsessed with “healthy†so that fits my taste well. Sometimes the internet vegans get s focused on “healthy†that the recipes are just weird.

I don’t wear make up so I can’t help there.

• Like 3

For breakfasts I eat whole wheat bread with peanut butter.  I don't love it, but I eat it.

I did used to like tofu plus tomatoes plus greens plus potatoes, all sort of fried up together.

For makeup issues, I just don't wear makeup.  I didn't really wear makeup beforehand, so it's not a big sacrifice, but fwiw as something non-negotiable, I wouldn't wear makeup now if the only brand I could tolerate did animal testing.  IMO, animal testing is worse than killing a wild animal for food, morally speaking.  It's torture, and not for nourishment or medical necessity or any of it.

For shoes I wear used sneakers (all man-made) and Teva sandals and occasionally canvas slip-ons, like Keds; I don't need a ton of arch support, though.  I am still looking for the ideal shoe.

As many cosmetics companies as are out there, I'm hoping I'll be able to find something that will work.  I just haven't started looking yet because I have been using up what I had already purchased.  I'm not willing to compromise on that one because it's just such completely unnecessary cruelty.  The safety (and risks) of the ingredients they use has long since been established, so it just seems so pointless to me.  I was more worried that I might have to compromise on the shoes, because that's an issue of mobility and functionality, not just appearance.  But now that I know there are vegan Birks, I'm more optimistic.  And I've sent emails to Keen and Teva asking if any of their vegan sandals have metatarsal support.  So I'm hopeful! 

For breakfast, I simply throw out all rules.  I am currently drinking my coffee while eating gluten free crackers and eggplant hummus.  Super yummy. I may have a piece of fruit later.  I often make a bean based cold salad for breakfast.  Super fast and easy.  I use canned beans, drained and rinsed.  Chop and throw in some veggies like onion, tomatoes, kale, peppers, etc.  Then I squeeze half a lime or lemon, add italian seasonings, and either a drizzle of EVOO or some cashew sour cream.  I think most granolas and oatmeals are vegan if you need it to feel like breakfast.  

• Like 1

For breakfast, I simply throw out all rules.  I am currently drinking my coffee while eating gluten free crackers and eggplant hummus.  Super yummy. I may have a piece of fruit later.  I often make a bean based cold salad for breakfast.  Super fast and easy.  I use canned beans, drained and rinsed.  Chop and throw in some veggies like onion, tomatoes, kale, peppers, etc.  Then I squeeze half a lime or lemon, add italian seasonings, and either a drizzle of EVOO or some cashew sour cream.  I think most granolas and oatmeals are vegan if you need it to feel like breakfast.  

What is eggplant hummus? Do you make it homemade? Sounds super yummy!

• Like 1

What is eggplant hummus? Do you make it homemade? Sounds super yummy!

It is hummus that also has eggplant in it. I also love hummus with artichokes and kalamata olives. I got these at Lidl. I should probably make it but it is one of the few convenience foods I have and I like having an easy go to item.

• Like 1

It is hummus that also has eggplant in it. I also love hummus with artichokes and kalamata olives. I got these at Lidl. I should probably make it but it is one of the few convenience foods I have and I like having an easy go to item.

They all sound good. I've not seen those varieties here.

• Like 1

I have to eat savory breakfasts or I feel weird all day.

I do a tofu scramble with tumeric, nutritional yeast, black salt, tobasco, dried garlic and onion, sometimes a pinch of vegan chicken broth.

Meals I make with tofu scramble might include:

-Mexican style with leftover black beans, potatoes, tortillas, maybe platanos.

-with a vegan breakfast meat like gimme lean sausage or bacon

-Indian style with aloo paratha or dosa https://www.ishopindian.com/deep-aloo-paratha-4-pcs-frozen-pr-26176/  https://www.ishopindian.com/udupi-mysore-masala-dosa-4-pcs-frozen-pr-26100/

-tabouli and warm pita

I find Irish oat more satisfying than regular oats

pancakes with walnuts and banana/breakfast meat

souped-up ramen 

Ful mudammas (fava beans) is worth trying!

steamed buns with veggie filling (frozen)

Edited by helena
  • Like 1