Menu

What does it cost to have carpet laid?

BlsdMama

Doing a cost comparison. We want to carpet the basement. It’s hard, it’s cold, and it’s perfectly dry. I totally recognize we will replace it in five years.

Here are my options:

Incredibly inexpensive Berber at $0.77/sq foot but we pay labor.

Or, $1.29/sq. foot and only minimally better carpet but free installation.

Or, alternatively, carpet tiles (commercial) - cheap with no llanos costs.

Curious if anyone knows what installation costs?

Can you call your Lowe’s to get a price? I used them when I had carpet put in my parents house, I don’t remember how much it was, but it was reasonable to me. IIRC, there are some variables, but they should be able to give you a ballpark number.

We had some basement carpet replaced this time last year, and we paid $6.75/sq. yd. for installation.  That included taking up and disposing of the old carpet.  We also paid about $70 for some tack strips to be replaced and a $70 trip charge.    

Don't forget pad if you're going with a carpet that needs padding (I don't know about Berbers); a good pad makes all of the difference, especially over concrete.

This is an Atlanta suburb.

ETA:  To clarify, this did not include any materials.  It was installation only, but the installer picked it up from the mill.  (We live just south of the carpet capital of the world; the installers all live there and drive down to Atlanta.)

Edited by plansrme